Home

TheSinner.net

McIntosh are last in energy saving race

For people in McIntosh Hall (Chattan).

Re:

Postby Wooly on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:35 am

Quoting The Jaspar from 22:52, 16th Jan 2007I usually wash my hands in my own room because I always get shitty soap residue on my hands if I blow dry them.

I thought I was the only person who'd noticed that!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106028
Wooly

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:56 pm

no, no, It happens to everyone I think. The trick is to run your hands under the tap until it all comes off; along with your skin's natural oils!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby rtsg on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:19 pm

or you could be a man, all 3 of you!

;)
rtsg

Re:

Postby lts2 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:32 pm

Quoting rtsg from 19:19, 17th Jan 2007

;)

By this do you mean not wash your hands?
lts2

Re:

Postby Wooly on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:57 pm

Quoting lts2 from 20:32, 17th Jan 2007
Quoting rtsg from 19:19, 17th Jan 2007

;)

By this do you mean not wash your hands?

And, in doing so, deliberately spreading pathogenic germs?

[hr]

Wooly

Re:

Postby pea on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:27 pm

In case anyone hasn't seen, the figures for December are now out and we're at about 93.8% compared to last year I think, which is somewhere in the middle. Lots of halls seem to be on about 99% this time. For more details the sheet is on the notice board outside the tv rooms.

[hr]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

pea

Lights out!!

Postby o_t4ng on Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:14 am

Dunno how many of you have joined this http://standrews.facebook.com/event.php ... 949&ref=mf
already, but if not basically it's an 'event' scheduled for this evening (1st Feb).

Just turn off all your lights and electronic equipment which are on stand-by between 1755 and 1800 (that's 5 minutes to 5 and 6pm). It's only 5 minutes, but this is more about the message than anything else.

It goes without saying that you should turn off all equipment that is not being used. And stop leaving the shower cubicle lights on on E-floor!!

[hr]

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby rtsg on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:13 am

Quoting o_t4ng from 05:14, 1st Feb 2007
And stop leaving the shower cubicle lights on on E-floor!!

...and the computer room lights, I have been turning them off, consistantly, 5 times before lunch most days (before ski week admittedly)
rtsg

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting Cain from 20:04, 16th Jan 2007
What's the venue? Aikmans?

Genius! get a real venue, be not afraid of money, etc.

Also, £1000 (or rather a chance at it) is not worth the energy saving, especially for the larger halls, For chattan it represents something like 7% of the total money the committe has for a huge reduction it seems in standard of living. If the money is needed so desperately raise hall subs by £4 or £5. Think of the hours of work turning off lights and radiators for that meager sum, and that's only if you win.

This becomes even more ridiculous for halls like new hall, where £1000 represents less than 5% of their BALL budget, never mind the rest of it.

All this fuss over a few quid, I thought that students were intellegent and rational.

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby rtsg on Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:03 am

Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 01:48, 19th Feb 2007
Quoting Cain from 20:04, 16th Jan 2007
What's the venue? Aikmans?

Genius! get a real venue, be not afraid of money, etc.

Also, £1000 (or rather a chance at it) is not worth the energy saving, especially for the larger halls, For chattan it represents something like 7% of the total money the committe has for a huge reduction it seems in standard of living. If the money is needed so desperately raise hall subs by £4 or £5. Think of the hours of work turning off lights and radiators for that meager sum, and that's only if you win.

This becomes even more ridiculous for halls like new hall, where £1000 represents less than 5% of their BALL budget, never mind the rest of it.

All this fuss over a few quid, I thought that students were intellegent and rational.

[hr]

No, this isn't to do with the money, well it shouldn't be, it's just an incentive. What the dificulty with turning lights off when you leave an empty room, or the toilet. Granted people forget, but it is constant and pretty much the same people. Yeah I agree with you if you are talking about sitting in the cold, but thats got to be a personal choice, like for Jono
rtsg

Re:

Postby pea on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:11 am

The money would be used for an event that hall doesn't normally have or to had a little something extra to an already existing event, so it doesn't matter what percentage of the hall committee budget it works out as. We don't need this money, but of course we want to win it so we can have a few extra events that we wouldn't normally be able to have, have a better Garden Party etc. Nowhere have we said we need the money. We'd be just as happy to win any of the other prizes too.

[hr]

pea

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:10 am

Quoting rtsg from 09:03, 19th Feb 2007
No, this isn't to do with the money, well it shouldn't be, it's just an incentive. What the dificulty with turning lights off when you leave an empty room, or the toilet. Granted people forget, but it is constant and pretty much the same people. Yeah I agree with you if you are talking about sitting in the cold, but thats got to be a personal choice, like for Jono

Well from what I've been reading, and turning out hallway lights in particular has been frowned upon in the past, due to the risk it poses during fires, other than that, there's no harm in turning off bathroom lights, etc. I just think that if cash is the only reason people are doing it, then they should know that it's for less than a fiver each which they'll probably not get anyway.

And the hall committee, one would assume, did in their wisdom set hall subs at a level to fund all the events they want to run anyway (they pretty much have carte blanche). Maybe if they randomly choose someone to win all of the money, if they win the contest, then the incentive will be more for those who couldn't care less about hall events.

[hr]

Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Wooly on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 11:10, 19th Feb 2007Maybe if they randomly choose someone to win all of the money, if they win the contest, then the incentive will be more for those who couldn't care less about hall events.

And so someone who did precisely nothing to save energy could potentially win £1,000?

[hr]

Wooly

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:33 pm

As it stands, someone can benefit from a win without taking part anyway. The chances of anyone winning the money would go up with the number of people participating, therefore the more people saving energy, the greater the chance the hall wins, and the chance of someone who does nothing being picked at random also goes down.

It was, however, a spurious suggestion, merely to fuel ideas on how to encourage enegy saving with greed as a motive, (which the University obviously see as valid by offering a cash prize) and not as a solution.

[hr]

Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Jono on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 20:33, 22nd Feb 2007
As it stands, someone can benefit from a win without taking part anyway. The chances of anyone winning the money would go up with the number of people participating, therefore the more people saving energy, the greater the chance the hall wins, and the chance of someone who does nothing being picked at random also goes down.

It was, however, a spurious suggestion, merely to fuel ideas on how to encourage enegy saving with greed as a motive, (which the University obviously see as valid by offering a cash prize) and not as a solution.

[hr]

Sorry Jules, but that's a very Tory-esque (well, pre-Cameron anyway) take on events.

I hardly see how it's a reduction in standard of living. Oh noes! I turn off my light when I'm not in the room, and I knock off lights in study rooms and kitchens (not corridors). Hardly an enormous effort on my part!

As for raising hall subs, I don't agree. Our halls of residence are some of the most expensive in Britain. Hell, Durham are currently protesting over increases to 3.2 grand; significantly less than what we're paying! In any event, hall subs seem to get wittled away on fines incurred by anonymous parties anyay. Better a grand's worth of booze than a grand that can be taken away over the excesses of some jerk-off. Unless of course you know any repair guys that take payment in kind.

As for the ill-concieved incentive of "save energy for profit," no one's pushing that idea at all. It's a happy, clappy incentive to "Do what you really should be doing anyway; but we'll get you drunk at the end maybe." (Like "the food dudes," but not so patronising.) Anyway, anything that pushes down the operating costs of this building gives The Association ammunition when it comes to demanding rent freezes and reductions in 5-10 years time (Or whenever the housing bubble bursts). of course we're also saving the environment, which is good, allegedly!

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:59 pm

Quoting jono from 00:21, 25th Feb 2007
As for raising hall subs, I don't agree. Our halls of residence are some of the most expensive in Britain.

What do the price of hall subs have to do with the price of accomodation?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby rtsg on Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:23 pm

St-Andrews is the most expensive place I've been to outside of London, especially for lir living in the North, it is always going to compare badly - it's just the St-Andrews economy, have you found any cheap or resonably priced accomodation of any kind that could compare to anyway else other than London?
Quoting cain from 12:59, 25th Feb 2007
As for raising hall subs, I don't agree. Our halls of residence are some of the most expensive in Britain.

[hr]

rtsg

Re:

Postby Jono on Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:29 pm

Quoting cain from 12:59, 25th Feb 2007

[hr]

It's all taken out with your hall fees now. I realise it wouldn't be an enormous increase, but even so, it all goes towards it.

[hr]

Jono

Re:

Postby pea on Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:40 pm

Quoting jono from 15:29, 25th Feb 2007
It's all taken out with your hall fees now. I realise it wouldn't be an enormous increase, but even so, it all goes towards it.

Yes but the 2 costs are not related, they're taken out in the same payments for ease, that's all.

[hr]

pea

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting jono from 15:29, 25th Feb 2007

They pay for different things and are entirely unrelated.

[hr]

Cain

PreviousNext

Return to McIntosh Hall (Chattan)