Home

TheSinner.net

*RAGE*

For people in McIntosh Hall (Chattan).

*RAGE*

Postby quarterstaff on Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:28 pm

WTF!

i cannot believe the warden has decided to ban parties and social gathering during not just exam tie, but also the whole academic year... INCLUDING freshers week!

its a disgusting infringement of student rights, and therefore i believe it is the duty of the hall commitee tell the warden that although it is obvious that she has good intentions she has gone way too far.

if you cannot truly enjoy yourself, you cannot take a break from work, and thus are not able to work/study as effectively as otherwise.

The committee should tell the warden, that they as student's representatives of the hall should be more involved in the decision making procedures, and also the implentation of those procedures that affect the student's daily lifes... there should be DIALOGUE on things like curfews, when social gatherings are acceptable and where.

and if the warden starts pulling rank... well, then there is no option but to get the union and the Director of Representation involved.

the students who have signed a contract to live in macintosh were not made aware that parties were banned from hall in their contract... it is only reasonable to assume that the place where you LIVE will also be a place you can enjoy yourself.

Students have more rights nowadays as they are customers of the this educational factory - students are NOT GUESTS in macintosh... students are RESIDENTS.

other halls do not have such ridiculous rules. why should the fair people of macintosh have to put up with such shoddy treatment?

something needs to be done.
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:45 pm

I agree. Then again, I'm not a resident.

I would advise you though that if she doesn't back down, as well as getting some big guns from the union on your side, go over her head. Part of the job description of wardens is 'fostering a sense of community', something for example DRA's has done with great distinction. Cancelling all parties doesn't fit that. The Warden's Representative is Joe Carson of Uni Hall, and ultimately they all answer to one of the VPs - either Derek Watson or Alastair Work (Ben will be able to tell you that one).

[hr]What's the point of curry if it doesn't make your mouth [i]bleed[i]?
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby little headache on Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:03 pm

From what I've seen of the Warden, she seems to be vaguely well-intentioned with an intense love for the fire equipment. I could completely understand if she put heavy restrictions on parties (not in Freshers Week), but this is too much; if we want to stay in and get drunk rather than study, it's our choice, and like the Dean of the Arts Faculty (sic?) repeated to us so many times, "it's time we behaved self-sufficiently and were treated as adults."

[hr]...the truth is rarely pure and never simple; modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility...
little headache

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:54 pm

like the Dean of the Arts Faculty (sic?) repeated to us so many times, "it's time we behaved self-sufficiently and were treated as adults."

Ahhh. If only universities were actually run by the academics.

[hr]
What's the point of curry if it doesn't make your mouth bleed?
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Midget on Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:52 am

She stopped me partying in McIntosh. This must stop.
Midget

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am

Humm maybe a bit extreme there quarterstaff but yet again she is over the top too. ;)

I find it more annoying that supposedly we arent allowed parties but people are still allowed to talk loudly in the corridors outside your room for 30mins + at 2 in the morning. Which for me is far more distracting than a party at that time. If they are blaming the party thing on noise levels then at least bloody enforce it for all types of noise pollution!

[hr]IMAGE:www.pushposters.co.uk/new/thumbs/a/S_a06015.jpg
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby Midget on Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Exactly parties keep people in rooms rather then having them wandering about the corridors avoiding the warden etc.
Midget

Re:

Postby steerpike on Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:37 pm

As an ex-Chatenite I can only say Im glad im not still living inside
there now.

Yeah that is a pretty rough deal you guys have got, but, to be honest, i doubt you guys will do anything about it at all. In my experience the hall
seems overwhelmed with apathetic and unsubversive individuals who wouldnt
normally step out of line ( - however that also extends to my view of the
everage StAndrews student). opposing something like a ban on parties and suchlike might involve a bit of standing up for yourself

So what is the mood inside of the hall now? Are you all skipping off to bed by
10pm or are you - as you rightly should be - protesting against this
harsh infringement?

Viel Gluck.
steerpike

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:18 pm

Cherry-picker!!! You have a cherry-picker outside the back of your hall. Someone must use it for its true purpose.
Midget

Re:

Postby quarterstaff on Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:26 pm

[s]Midget wrote on 00:18, 27th Sep 2004:
Cherry-picker!!! You have a cherry-picker outside the back of your hall. Someone must use it for its true purpose.

why isnt the senior student checking this board?

what is being done?

so much for transparency.
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:18 pm

why isnt the senior student checking this board?

what is being done?

so much for transparency.

that's the shit part of having an elected official as a sinner; people expect them to answer everything that happens on the sinner with an official response.

Just because there's not been anything on the sinner from the SS about the matter, doesn't mean that he's not doing anything about it.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby hopie on Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:50 am

i tink the no parties thing would have beeen a disaster but it hasnt stopped people gathering in various places in hall and getting to know eachother.

What has been stopped is full floor parties which i assume was to prevent the hall being trashed.

This is another example ive experienced in st andrews of a rule being brought in to stop people doing something but just impacting on other aspects of their fun

[hr]Im not jesus christ, Ive come to accept that now....
Im not jesus christ, Ive come to accept that now....
hopie

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:51 pm

[s]Cain wrote on 20:18, 27th Sep 2004:
that's the shit part of having an elected official as a sinner; people expect them to answer everything that happens on the sinner with an official response.

Just because there's not been anything on the sinner from the SS about the matter, doesn't mean that he's not doing anything about it.

On that point, are you not the committee's deligate to the sinner as elected last year? And do we not have to re-elect the moderator in view of new people?

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:13 pm

[s]Tweedle-Dum wrote on 14:51, 29th Sep 2004:
on that point, are you not the committee's deligate to the sinner as elected last year? And do we not have to re-elect the moderator in view of new people?

i have no idea. that would be up to the committee.

[hr]
It's now who you know, it's who who you know knows
Cain

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:15 pm

[s]Tweedle-Dum wrote on 14:51, 29th Sep 2004:
on that point, are you not the committee's deligate to the sinner as elected last year? And do we not have to re-elect the moderator in view of new people?

i have no idea. that would be up to the senior student, deputy and likely the secretary to decide.

[hr]
It's now who you know, it's who who you know knows
Cain

Re:

Postby halmeister on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:31 am

We're discussing recent events in Hall at the committee meeting tomorrow, then will be meeting the wardens, then meeting Isobel Clifford. It's not just simply a question of walking up to them and saying "We want parties" although the new sign-in policy for guests is at best unworkable.

As far as me reading the Sinner is concerned, in general I don't while I'm up in St Andrews. Alisdair told me about this thread in class. On the subject of moderator I don't see the McIntosh Board as being under the rule of the committee so the choice for moderator and how often it changes is up to admin of the site & users of the board.

neil
halmeister

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:13 pm

I don't see what's wrong with Cains moderating. You are always going to get people objecting to a mod and others agreeing with it. He plays by the rules and as far as I know there has been no over-ruling of one of his mods by admin.

Hall things are getting pretty bad its good to hear theres going to be a friendly discussion first before a riot. However please if we are going to have a riot can we have a secret meeting somewhere maybe involving some secret sign everyone does to know who is part of the group?.....

Since this thread title is indeed called *RAGE* i'd like to say how crap my cleaner is.

I understand cleaners need access into your room to clean things, but I dont like coming back to my room to find my windows wide to the world and my belongings in the bin that I did not put in there. I've put things there for a reason and nothing in my room should be moved by a cleaner unless they have my permisson. (I do not mean things that are stopping them cleaning something - for example a t shirt on the floor when they need to hoover). In my experience Gwen (E floor) is the only cleaner that is any good at her job. Don't get me wrong I'm not one of those cunts who looks down on people with "lesser" jobs - I just believe there should be a certain standard of privacy that should be met.

[hr]IMAGE:www.pushposters.co.uk/new/thumbs/a/S_a06015.jpg
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Irene...

Postby Bread Roll on Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:10 pm

Ah those were the days. Back in first year with the lovely Irene as my cleaner. Irene was a cleaning goddess and veritable font of gossip. Every morning at 11 when I got back (got up) from my IR lecture, there she was, just ready for a nice big chat. I miss that.

What I don`t miss, however is mean wardens who ban parties. I hope you have got this resolved by now, cos it does seem a bit (lot) unfair. I remember the drunken time with the goldfish and Ellie Brock... THE FISH, THE FISH!
Bread Roll

Re:

Postby quarterstaff on Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:50 pm

[s]halmeister wrote on 13:31, 30th Sep 2004:
We're discussing recent events in Hall at the committee meeting tomorrow, then will be meeting the wardens, then meeting Isobel Clifford. It's not just simply a question of walking up to them and saying "We want parties" although the new sign-in policy for guests is at best unworkable.

As far as me reading the Sinner is concerned, in general I don't while I'm up in St Andrews. Alisdair told me about this thread in class. On the subject of moderator I don't see the McIntosh Board as being under the rule of the committee so the choice for moderator and how often it changes is up to admin of the site & users of the board.

neil

i understand neil, that beaurocrtic issues are an obstacle, but why shopuldn't it be as simple as going up to the warden and telling her that her understanding of the rules is flawed, and her implementation is dire.

she simply walked up to the students and told them no parties without warning... this is not the behaviour of a professional, but of a child.

your job is to stand up for your electorate.
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Re:

Postby liliputian on Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:32 am

Q you don't livei n halls anymore, so i really don't think you have the right to comment on how neil is taking his position. It's not an easy position to be in - between the "electorate" and the warden, and I think you need to appreciate that.

[hr]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Next

Return to McIntosh Hall (Chattan)