Home

TheSinner.net

CSTPV Internship?

For discussion in IR. Principally for students in IR1005 to discuss lectures and related topics. Please register an account with the same username as your uni email to reduce confusion.

CSTPV Internship?

Postby Guest on Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:30 am

Hey, just wondering if there were any CSTPV interns here? I was thinking about applying for it next year and wondered what it actually involves?

Re:

Postby David Linfield on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:57 pm

Hello there,

Just saw your post. I'm a CSTPV Intern. I'll tell you a bit about it here. If you still have questions afterwards don't worry as there will be an informational meeting sometime at the beginning of term.

The Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence (CSTPV) is an academic institution or 'thinktank' that conducts research and publishes material on political violence. It is one of the leading organisations in the field and has connections with corporations and governments around the world.

Some time ago now the CSTPV started a Database project with the intention to compile a comprehensive, up-to-date, and easily accessible encyclopedia on terrorism and political violence. The database was to serve both academia and coporate/government counter-terrorism efforts.

Then, the Centre decided that the database project would be a great opportunity for an internship program. Why not save on costs and educate at the same time? Today, close to a hundred interns participate in the project each semester. As an intern with the Centre's database project one performs many of the same tasks that one would as an Open Source Intelligence Officer with a government intelligence agency: Each week one searches open source information - mainly internet news-sources - for terrorist/political violence related activity in the country/countries to which one has been assigned. One then compiles that information into a spreadsheet that details the nature of the event, participants, consequences etc... along with a brief analysis.

The CSTPV Internship is a great opportunity to get experience as an intelligence analyst - conveniently located right in fair St. Andrews. Furthermore, because one sends ones reports in through e-mail, one can easily continue to participate over holidays.

Finally, each week over term CSTPV interns gather to exchange thoughts on political violence issues both past and present. It is a great opportunity to learn from one another.

I wholeheartedly recommend the internship. Again, if you have more questions there will be an informational meeting at the beginning of term. Alternatively, you can track me down by contacting me at del4@st-andrews.ac.uk.

-David Linfield '07

Quoting from 10:21, 15th Aug 2005
Hey, just wondering if there were any CSTPV interns here? I was thinking about applying for it next year and wondered what it actually involves?
David Linfield

CSTPV 'internships'

Postby andy on Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:25 pm

...you could also say that CSTPV internships are a great way for some people to do their own research legwork and for you to get no credit, much less pay, for it.
andy

Return to International Relations