Home

TheSinner.net

Welcome to the IR board

For discussion in IR. Principally for students in IR1005 to discuss lectures and related topics. Please register an account with the same username as your uni email to reduce confusion.

Welcome to the IR board

Postby Admin on Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:25 pm

A primary reason that St Andrews pursues diversity in its admissions policy is the hope that diverse individuals will create discussion. And it is through discussion that we become smarter, not just more adept at discussing. Through discussion we forge new connections and learn how to think in constructive ways. So thanks to all who will take part in the discussion, let's have a good one. And humor helps; it takes down the tension. Thanks also to the jokers.
This board is meant to be a place of discussion, not of debating or percussion. The goal should not be to win, but to air your views, support them, and learn from one another. Disagree of course, and tell people you do so and why, but please don’t be so intent on ‘winning’ an argument that you attempt to cow someone into submission through the use of expletives. Be passionate, don’t be crude.
So, please keep the board clean. And please pursue discussion with an attitude of learning, not winning. We’re here to mingle and exchange ideas and knowledge, as well as to learn new things, create new perspectives, and further define who you are and what you believe. Here’s to learning.

Dan Greenberg
IR 1005 Class Representative
Admin

the one message looked a bit lonely...

Postby lauren on Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:46 pm

This is an exteremely good idea. if anybody out there would like to enlighten me on the mechanics of IPE I would be most grateful...
lauren

IPE, explained?

Postby Guest on Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:25 pm

IPE is a hard one for me too, though the Baylis and Smith book 'The Globalization of World Politics' attepmts to explain it quite clearly and generally, that should give you a better idea about IPE, but it can be hard to keep track of all the different schools of thought!!

IPE, it seems to me is all about money and power, mostly of countires gaining and safeguarding so they do not lose this power. I don't know if anyone agrees!!

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:29 pm

It's good to remember that you can get the lecturer's notes from the Short Loan Section of the library.

I photocopied Dr Wilson's, and after reading through the notes a few times it made the whole topic of IPE a lot clearer.

I don't think Dr Imber makes his notes available though, I didn't see them.

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:54 am

thanks for pointing out that the notes are available, i didnt know!!!

Re:

Postby sdr4 on Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:39 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 09:03, 11th Dec 2003:
thanks for pointing out that the notes are available, i didnt know!!!

I believe Dr Imber does make his notes available, I missed a lecture of his and asked him and he told me to get his notes from Short Loan. I havn't yet, soc cannot verify that, but intend to before the end of term.
sdr4

Re:

Postby bubbles on Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:43 pm

Hi, Dr Imber does make his notes available, they are catalougued on the library site anyway, so maybe he makes them available after the lectures are finished?
There is no dream and no waking up. This is today.
bubbles

Put the lecture notes on the net

Postby The Prince of Baghdad on Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:41 pm

You can get the lecture notes in the library! What the quang? IR is all about globalization these days! What strikes me is that the IR dep doesn't use the technology that makes globalization possible. Put the lecture notes on the IR dep's website, and make me happy :)
The Prince of Baghdad

Re:

Postby dan greenberg on Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:42 pm

can do, will do. or at least try!

dan
dan greenberg

Why IR at StA and not somewhere else?

Postby Jo on Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:44 pm

Hiya, Im one of those that would like to be in ur position- studyin IR at StA. My problem: Im in France right now, would like to join u guys for a yr in 2004 but need a couple of arguments which will help me explain why I absolutely wanna study IR at StA and what makes IR at StA different from studyin IR elsewhere?

Arguments have to refer to the subject, not to StA in general. I only got one paragraphe to write and to hand in Jan 5 so no long stories just precise convincing arguments. Thxx loads :)
Jo

Re:

Postby The Colonel on Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:56 pm

to be honest, a true IR student doesn't give a damn about his work and is typically a social animal who goes out and gets drunk as often as possible. All this talk of work and interest in the course and required literature blah blah just shows you're not cut out to be elite in the field. Give up now! Go study chemistry! Take this advice from a seasoned pro..
The Colonel

Lets see

Postby ;) on Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:55 pm

[s]Unregisted User The Colonel wrote on 10:38, 6th Feb 2004:
to be honest, a true IR student doesn't give a damn about his work and is typically a social animal who goes out and gets drunk as often as possible. All this talk of work and interest in the course and required literature blah blah just shows you're not cut out to be elite in the field. Give up now! Go study chemistry! Take this advice from a seasoned pro..

--> soz, i didnt mean to sound like a nerd who hides behing her book all da time and hell, im not exactly happy w/da way ppl run things here @ this skool. only needed this IR unique for my cover letter- and if ud ever read wot they make us write, u prolly wouldnt stop laughin ;))...lookin forward to findin out who can party harder then ;-P
;)

Return to International Relations