Home

TheSinner.net

IR

For discussion in IR. Principally for students in IR1005 to discuss lectures and related topics. Please register an account with the same username as your uni email to reduce confusion.

IR

Postby Kat on Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:20 pm

One of my options for next year (I'm in grade 12 right now) is IR at St. Andrews. What is it like? Any opinions would be great, Thanks.
~Katherine
Kat

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:03 pm

hey katherine.

IR here at St Andrews is pretty great. (well i think so anyway). It is a really interesting subject, although it can get a little bit too theoretical at times, which is a bit of a drawback if u prefer more argument and debate.

On the whole I would say that IR is a great course, the lecturers and tutors are helpful. St Andrews itself is a great university. The town is nice and the people are great.

Re:

Postby loretta on Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:21 am

Yea but sometimes it can be a little depressing. And there are lots of 'theories' for everything. If you are a more creative than scientific person then its probably not the subject for you.
'The English like eccentrics, they just don't like them living next door.'
loretta

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:34 am

I am not sure about that. Of course, there are a lot of different theories and it's good to have some of them in the back of your mind, but there's plenty of room to be creative when you're writing your essays and especially in the tutorials. So overall, IR is great (though not that easy sometimes).

What about grades?

Postby pete on Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:01 pm

Hey, yeah from what i've heard i'm pretty set on doing IR but what about grades, what did you guys get in on?

I'm wanting to IR and middle east studs

Predicted 4 A's and a B at SQA highers
Plus a further 2 A's next year for sure

So, from experience do you think that will cut it?
pete

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:23 pm

If you get these grades you should be pretty safe. Just make sure you 'sell-yourself' in the personal statement.

I got AAAAB in S5 together with AA at Advanced Higher/CSYS.

Wow

Postby Pete on Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:09 pm

Ufff
go you, two A's at advanced
I could take over the world with grades like that...damn
Pete

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:10 pm

every1 is so much better qualified than me!! (and i still got in!)

IR look for grades of AAAB at higher, so those looking to get in will b pretty sure of an offer. It is amazing just how well the UCAS personal statement can be used to 'sell yourself' as i only got AABBC and i still got here!!!

Re:

Postby a on Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:31 pm

Wow, ummm...how would you translate those marks into Canadian? And, what courses are good to take in high school before taking (well, trying to take)IR?
a

Re:

Postby surfingsimon on Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:46 pm

history is good. as is english - essays in ir are weighted heavily. economics can also be good depending what modules you opt for. as for translating into canadian...
surfingsimon

Re:

Postby tinker on Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:30 pm

Well I studied English, Geography and Design and I'm here, I think history would be useful though.
tinker

Return to International Relations