Home

TheSinner.net

IR Students- how is it?

For discussion in IR. Principally for students in IR1005 to discuss lectures and related topics. Please register an account with the same username as your uni email to reduce confusion.

IR Students- how is it?

Postby Lele45 on Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:54 am

Hi everyone! First, I've never posted anywhere before, so I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong board or something....I just got into St Andrews a little while ago (YAY!) and I'm trying to sort out whether I seriously want to go- I'm a huge IR person and I've heard St Andrews' IR department is really good but I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on it...Are the profs interesting? Is it a big department? Is it a hard subject, relatively speaking? And I'm an American- do Americans studying IR abroad make out OK when they have to get jobs back home? Please write, I want to come but I feel like I don't really know enough about the school....Thanks!!!
Lele45

Re:

Postby IR on Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:29 pm

I know this is the tutorial board for IR but I find that you get more replies when you write on the main Sinner Message Board (the first one). No one ever seems to write on this one :/ So i'd re-write in the main one if I were you :)
IR

Re:

Postby cam on Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:07 pm

I shall be brief. St Andrews is certainly an interesting, if not unique, university. There are many rather strange and somewhat unconventional traits, which we can thank our forebearers for.

Moving to the topic of International Relations. The professors are interesting, well most of them! I particularly enjoy Dr Imber's lectures. Dr Hall is not the best lecturer I have engaged with, yet he gets the basic principles across. (Point: Lecturers in St Andrews do not like being called professor, unless indeed they are a Professor!; St Andrews is also a University not a School)

The department is relatively large for such a small university. It has about 300 students in 1st year.

IR is one of these subjects that if you enjoy and engage and work for, you will do well. If you don't you will not do well. By this I do not mean being studious, but mean simply do the work. Therefore, generally it is not too tasking.

I will always advocate the splendour of St Andrews.

Hope this helps, some what.
cam

Return to International Relations