Home

TheSinner.net

Social Psychology

With so many students studying psychology, we now have our own forum rather than clogging up the main sinner forum!

Social Psychology

Postby Clairer on Sun May 11, 2008 3:12 am

Hi all,
I have been given a case study which is the following:

In October 2007 a jury was convened to hear the inquest into the death of Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed. Use social psychological theory and research to evaluate the impact that media information may have on the process.

Can anyone think of any relevant theory that would be relevant to this? the problem i have is that in my lectures no content has been covered on media issues, therefore I know that this case is not talking about just media, we have covered things on language (language completely determines thought) and discourses, I will be using this information, but if anyone has any other information that they think may help, please get back to this asap, thank you.
Clairer

Re: Social Psychology

Postby Katherine_the_Noggin on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Whats the case study for? It seems like a review essay question?

If you study Psych at St Andrews then the content in the fourth year group behaviour and also the prejudice modules may be relevant. Social psych theories relating to biases- e.g. fundamental attribution bias and also majority/minority jury decision making and social identity theory etc may all be relevant. I guess the fundamental points are how can media influence society- specifically a jury process (talk about the possible biases/social psych theory) and whether in this specific case it is likely or not that the media had an effect (probably).
Katherine_the_Noggin

Return to Psychology