Home

TheSinner.net

Jonathan Davies for SSC Societies Officer

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Postby Jono on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:32 pm

Let's get this started!

A few reasons why I'm right for societies officer.

My experience comes from the shop floor. As President of one society and Treasurer of another, I'm familiar with the situation on the ground, with first-hand experience of what happens when things go wrong. In addition, my relationship with the current Committee got me familiar with the structures and mechanics behind the Societies Committee. I've got the experience, and a fresh perspective to boot!

I'm committed to sorting out the long-standing problems that beset societies. Problems like poor communications, Lack of adequate room time, contradictory regulation, and mountains of replicated paperwork.

I will lead a hands-off Societies Committee. I know that a committee knows what's best for it's own society! My committee will be dedicated to support and opportunity, rather than trying to regulating the hell out of everyone!

I will build upon the new societies portal. information will be disseminated over the union website, Facebook and The Sinner, including all societies documentation, guides, and working examples. Societies will be better informed!

I'm a driven individual. Hard-working, single minded, and committed. I'm approachable, open to ideas, and have a head full of common sense. Give me the position, and I'll see it through to the bitter end!

A vote for me is a vote for someone with ideas, perspective, and capability!

That's the Spiel! Questions Plz.

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby macgamer on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:31 pm

I think that it is a conflict of interests to have the SSC Societies' Officer on the committee of a student society.

What is your view?
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Re:

Postby macgamer on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:31 pm

I think that it is a conflict of interests to have the SSC Societies' Officer on the committee of a student society.

What is your view?
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Re:

Postby Jono on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Quoting macgamer from 13:31, 9th Mar 2008

What is your view?

Point.

I have to disagree with you there for two reasons. For one, first-hand experience of societies is absolutely vital for this role. There’s no way anyone can claim to preside over a committee responsible for all 120 affiliated societies, dispense with grants, etc. without having run a society, regardless of any potential conflict of interest!

Secondly, there are procedures in place to prevent the sort of conflict of interest you’re talking about. Were a vote to come up about Gamesoc’s grant for example; I would be obliged to abstain.

I’m also a pretty honest person! Of course, for that you have only my word =P !

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Fuck! I won.

Postby Jono on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:08 am

Well, that's strange!

[hr]

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... 144&ref=mf
Jono

Return to Elections 2008