Home

TheSinner.net

Brian Sonia-Wallace for SRC Arts/Divinity Rep

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Brian Sonia-Wallace for SRC Arts/Divinity Rep

Postby Brian Sonia-Wallace on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:39 pm

I am standing for position of Arts/Divinity Senate Rep for 08/09 because I believe the university is in a period of change, and we need to ensure that change lands in our favour. I am new to the Union, but as such I bring a fresh perspective untainted by “how things are done” and the energy to follow through. I’m for all sorts of wonderful things: lower rents, open doors, cleaner air, robot domination, and cake. I have thrown myself into societies in my first year (Mermaids, Debates, etc)—for my second, I want to see what I can do for whole university.

So, enough of that, what do I actually want to DO?

-Be available, first and foremost. Too often we get promises of "representation", but who is the current rep? Dunno. Nightline is well advertised, Star FM is well advertised. The union? We need contact information to send complaints or suggestions to listed in every hall, in the union(!) and in the library, a board on the Sinner and info in the Saint. Students have voices: they just don't know where to shout to get heard.

-We need regular topic specific forums, with a variety of students-not just our friends-to point out areas of interest or complaint. I recently attended one such forum about the library with a mixture of students and adults and the interaction toward common solutions was incredible.

-Information on what the union is working on readily available-again, I think the Sinner and Saint are underutilized forums.

-I'm not sure how much can be done about this, to spread good ideas and fix problems. A "rate this teacher" form at the end of each semester is not enough.

Facebook group: Brian Sonia-Wallace for SRC Arts/Divinity Senate Rep
Brian Sonia-Wallace

Return to Elections 2008