Home

TheSinner.net

Election Turnout

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Re:

Postby MJC on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:38 am

Quoting faith from 02:10, 20th Mar 2008
Quoting S from 12:06, 17th Mar 2008
In my cause yes, publicity puts me off. You make the elections nothing more than a glorified who is the biggest ego contest, coming round disrupting my meal times by standing on chairs making speeches, and plastering posters everywhere. I voted for the people who I haven't had flyers shoved under my door. Outside the union some complete idiots were shouting things like "VOTE X FOR PRESIDENT!!". And so did not vote for X. Forcing people to vote for you is the complete opposite of what elections are for. That is why democracy does not work and is the worst political system in the world. Because most of the population are too stupid to be able to vote in a fair independent manner, rendering the concept pointless.

I would love to know what political systems you would class as better than democracy!

Benign dictatorship.
MJC

Re:

Postby EllenRose on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:56 am

Quoting RandomMusings from 01:32, 20th Mar 2008
EllenRose,

I am not belittling the effort you went to for the Dalek campaign - I think you did really well and had more publicity out than a couple of the other candidates for that position even. And the heckling was great fun! However, I stand by my assertion that a lot of people will have looked down the list and gone - "ooo, a dalek" - and voted for it just because of that than by looking at the effort you put in to the campaign. If the opinion of 'S' is anything to go by, it seems a number of people voted in obscure ways this time around - remember the teddy bear last year that ran for president, as the 'joke' candidate, only received about 10 votes?

All in all, I think everyone should be congratulating you for a weird and wonderful campaign.... dare I say, however, at the risk of being attacked from all sides, that the elections are over, and the dalek campaign should now be allowed to rest and wallow in its (relative) glory?

yeah totally. I love the joke and don't want it to be overdone because it'll just ruin it and get old quickly. Maybe a return in a few years for a laugh but lets make it an old wives tale for a while. my post was mainly to highlight our own shock at doing so well and also to show that although some votes were just "ooo! a dalek!" without seeing the campaign, i still reckon we deserved those because of the sheer amount of work put in. We're chuffed to come third (but I'm not surprised that we didn't come in last as I'm sure some people would prefer to be exterminated than have spending cut on the union...) Also the post was just to lighten the mood a bit (i.e. i didn't expect a serious and well-educated reply! hehe). Everyone seemed so angry. A friend of mine didn't get a position he ran for despite all the effort he put in but instead of letting it get to him he's just getting on with stuff, albeit a bit annoyed. Don't dwell on it all too much and don't let it get to you. A lot of it is "I'll close my eyes and see where the pen lands" or "ooo i like his t-shirt in that picture! he seems cool!" so don't read into the votes too much. I know it's easy to say all this but it still needs to be said. Plus you can still make a difference even if you don't have a title. Cheer up - it's not the end of the world.

Until Fred. T. Dalek returns that is....

(sorry....i had to say it...please don't attack me with pointy sticks...)

I just wanna say that anyone who ran for a place did very well on their campaigns and worked hard. I hope that the people elected all do well to improve student life here for all of us (lower accommodation fees... hint hint...) and that those who didn't get the places they wanted don't give up on trying to do something for the uni they love.

Peace and love and strawberry bells

Ellen
EllenRose

Re:

Postby EllenRose on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:06 am

oh wait.... i'm supposed to be dead aren't i?

ok. pretend that last post was made by my long lost twin sister who has taken on my memories after my untimely death...

and this post too.

love Mindy

EllenRose

Re:

Postby MJC on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:24 am

Quoting EllenRose from 00:56, 21st Mar 2008
Quoting RandomMusings from 01:32, 20th Mar 2008
EllenRose,

I am not belittling the effort you went to for the Dalek campaign - I think you did really well and had more publicity out than a couple of the other candidates for that position even. And the heckling was great fun! However, I stand by my assertion that a lot of people will have looked down the list and gone - "ooo, a dalek" - and voted for it just because of that than by looking at the effort you put in to the campaign. If the opinion of 'S' is anything to go by, it seems a number of people voted in obscure ways this time around - remember the teddy bear last year that ran for president, as the 'joke' candidate, only received about 10 votes?

All in all, I think everyone should be congratulating you for a weird and wonderful campaign.... dare I say, however, at the risk of being attacked from all sides, that the elections are over, and the dalek campaign should now be allowed to rest and wallow in its (relative) glory?

i didn't expect a ... well-educated reply!

Do you know what degree he is taking?
MJC

Previous

Return to Elections 2008