Home

TheSinner.net

someone: Nominated for Association President

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Re:

Postby ShinyHappyPerson on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:45 pm

Quoting someone from 19:16, 14th Mar 2006

Sorry, I had my priorities! You project was rent rises; mine was a ball.

How reassuring for the student body.

....On the question of Ethical Investment question.

Would love to answer. Signed the petition, for one. Took part in the debate. Approved the SRC policies. This year, in debate I strengthened the SRC consensus and helped to create a dialogue outside of it, grilling Simon Pepper at the beginning of the year to make sure that he understood what the ups and downs were financially.

Okay so you signed a petition - five seconds.

You took part in the debate. Don't you go to debates regularly anyways? It's hardly like you went out of your way. And you contributed? Well ive never been to a single meeting where you were present where you didnt contribute - relevant or not...

As for passing the SRC policy - that's hardly taxing. To do that all you need to do is turn up and raise your hand when everybody else did. Was it even voted on or did it not pass with no dissent?

As for your grilling Simon Pepper - you asked him one question which he more than adequately replied to. If there was any grilling going on I think it was the other way around from my recollections.

So in short what did you do for Ethical Investment. Sod All. In practical terms I did more for EI than you did simply by wearing the badge.

[hr]

"its the best thing since instant mashed potato"
ShinyHappyPerson

Re:

Postby someone on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting shinyhappyperson from 15:45, 16th Mar 2006

How reassuring for the student body.

I really feel no need to defend my past actions. Running a society was how I initially became involved in the Association. Also, why aren't you criticising other candidates for their lack of involvement? Oh wait...

Honestly, I don't think the negative campaigning regarding my lack of involvement in rent rises or EI is at all relevant to the current election. Each of the Presidential candidates has their own particular dedication, only one of whom has some to Ethical Investment; I dedicated myself to a Society. I find no shame in that at all, and if you disagree, I suppose all I can really say is, "too bad!" Societies are an important part of the Association too, annd they need just as much support as the EI campaign or anything else.

The best question to ask is who knows how to make the Association work best and who will best be able to express a coherent thought in conversation with the University and to the students.

Because to be frank, the President does not dictate policy--- he is its vocal representative. He communicates it. He sees it done. It is his job to represent Association policy whether he likes it or not. In my opinion, and this should be clear to everyone, I am far and away the best person for the job!

someone
Nominated for Association President.
someone

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:44 pm

Preston, I have heard you were recently forcibly removed from McIntosh hall for attempting to give a speech to hall dinner even after the McIntosh wardens told you you couldn't. This is because speeches to hall dinners are against Union election rules. There have also been complaints about your publicity practices, such as placing posters on the windows of fire doors which wardens have then had to personally remove. This is against health and safety regulations, and I believe several hall wardens are in the process of submitting official complaints to the Union and about this. Are you not familiar with the Union's rules for election campaigns? Do you plan on apologising to the wardens involved for the extra work you have caused for them?
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:44 pm

"I really feel no need to defend my past actions."

I think it's more your past inaction that concerns people.
Al

Re:

Postby someone on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:58 pm

Quoting Irish Frank from 20:44, 16th Mar 2006
Are you not familiar with the Union's rules for election campaigns? Do you plan on apologising to the wardens involved for the extra work you have caused for them?

I actually left McIntosh on my own, thank you very much, as the sub-wardens in question probably aren't capable of physically removing me from much of anything.

I had been invited to McIntosh to deliver remarks by a resident, and was received warmly by the students there, many of whom I know. It's a shame that the Wardens and the Union actively discourage candidates from addressing students directly and making themselves available for questions, and in my opinion, is part of the problem regarding elections publicity and a lack of student interest. And that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

someone
someone

Re:

Postby ShinyHappyPerson on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:21 pm

Quoting someone from 20:40, 16th Mar 2006

Also, why aren't you criticising other candidates for their lack of involvement? Oh wait...

I think you'll find that i asked Tom about his involvement in rent rises at his heckling (and yes i am aware you werent allowed to see it) and have also spoken in person to Seth Ewin, the other serious candidate about his involvement in EI and Rent Rises. Id ask Anders but hes already made his feelings about rent rises abundantly clear at his hecklings.

Honestly, I don't think the negative campaigning regarding my lack of involvement in rent rises or EI is at all relevant to the current election. Each of the Presidential candidates has their own particular dedication, only one of whom has some to Ethical Investment; I dedicated myself to a Society. I find no shame in that at all, and if you disagree, I suppose all I can really say is, "too bad!" Societies are an important part of the Association too, annd they need just as much support as the EI campaign or anything else.

I generally think if a candidate stands up on Venue 1 and claims to be behind EI when I believe them to be anything but then it's not only my right but duty to explore the issue further. I have no issue with the fact that you have focused on a society rather than the EI Campaign. I also think its entirely legitimate to query your record, given it is one of your election pledges. If you believe this is negative campaigning i do apologise - I have no affiliation to any presidential candidate and while i haven't posted on their boards i have had a change to discuss the issues im mentioning with them either in person or at the hecklings. Please feel free to report my posting to the moderator/an elections officer and i will gladly cease to post on this thread on their request.

Finally i asked you to clarify your position on an issue i raised which you failed to pick up on. Could you please do so?

Check 16:27, 15th Mar 2006 and 23:30, 15th Mar 2006 if you are unsure which.

[hr]

ShinyHappyPerson

Re:

Postby haribo on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:30 pm

I actually left McIntosh on my own, thank you very much, as the sub-wardens in question probably aren't capable of physically removing me from much of anything.

I hardly think that's the point - the fact they didn't have to call the police or security to remove you is isn't exactly some to be proud of. Also i think a personal attack on people who were only doing their jobs is hardly sporting, is it?
I'd suggest in future if you have any issue you take it up with the appropriate channels (aka the University and the Union) rather than make nasty and personal comments on the sinner about university staff.

And while im here, a question for you...
What is your opinion on the calls to ban/strictly control future Raisin Weekends?
"a good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body!"
haribo

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting someone from 20:58, 16th Mar 2006

I had been invited to McIntosh to deliver remarks by a resident, and was received warmly by the students there, many of whom I know. It's a shame that the Wardens and the Union actively discourage candidates from addressing students directly and making themselves available for questions, and in my opinion, is part of the problem regarding elections publicity and a lack of student interest.

someone

I heard you were told by the wardens you weren't allowed to do a speech and attempted to do it anyway. What does this say about your treatment and opinion of university staff?

Also, you haven't answered my question as to placing flyers on fire doors, against Union election rules. For the second time, are you familiar with these rules? If so, why this violation of not just the rules but also the university's health and safety policy?

This does not look good in terms of your personal responsibility.
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby someone on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:22 pm

Quoting haribo from 21:30, 16th Mar 2006
And while im here, a question for you...
What is your opinion on the calls to ban/strictly control future Raisin Weekends?

Firstly, haribo is an excellent username.

This was brought up at SRC on tuesday night. There are two issues:

1) Police crackdown on students

2) Estates shutting down the quad and not letting it be used for the Foam Fight.

My positions:

1) Raisin weekend is fun. However, fun needn't be dangerous. This year's incidents regarding the death of harmless animals and a severe injury on Kinnessburn road are tragic indeed, but an all-out ban on Raisin Weekend

There is talk that the Uni wants to withdraw official support for the Weekend. However, if the Uni decides to do this, I will make sure that the Association picks up the slack with regard to student welfare and getting help for students who need it.

Furthermore, the Fife constabular told the Uni that petty crime increases by 4000% (yes, four thousand) in the week prior to Raisin Weekend (mostly due to thievery of Raisin Receipts.) Thus, the constabulary will be taking a zero-tolerance policy on petty crime in Raisin Weekend 2006. As Association President, I will do anything in my ability to keep students out of trouble with the law and will do my best to get appropriate representation for those who do get in trouble.

2) A foam fight in the quad, besides being something which is a heck of a lot of fun, adds to the unique character of the University and is part of the attraction of attending. Whilst the tradition has only been around for 20-odd years, it is an important one to continue and I oppose any move by the University to move it to the North Haugh or elsewhere.

I like Raisin Weekend. If the University were to ban it, I'd celebrate anyway and support anyone else who wanted to.

someone,
Candidate for Association President.
someone

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting someone from 22:22, 16th Mar 2006

There is talk that the Uni wants to withdraw official support for the Weekend. However, if the Uni decides to do this, I will make sure that the Association picks up the slack with regard to student welfare and getting help for students who need it.

You will do WHAT??!?!!?

As I said at SRC on Tuesday night, when the University raised the possibility of removing welfare support for Raisin Weekend, I told them that, in that case, the Students' Association would feel a moral obligation to provide it. The University have subsequently decided to continue the provision.

In other words, there is nothing for you to promise, and even if there was an issue, it would be for the Director of Representation, not you.
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:53 am

D'you know this territoriality is really starting to annoy me. It crops up again and again in the election threads. That's for the DoR, this is for the DoES. What happened to all the officers of the Association having a say and a view on its activities? What happened to collective responsibility? Why shouldn't a Presidential candidate make promises in respect of any other officer's "remit"? What is true of the Association's structure today may not be tomorrow, God knows it has changed enough recently. What is, however, utterly unproductive is the mind set that you keep exhibiting, Ben, of "this is my turf, back off".
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:06 am

Tobias,

The current system with the SRC where everybody has their own individual areas was actually designed to reduce collective responsibility.

Of course Preston can promise to vote on the SRC in favour of something, but he really can-not promise to deliver so-and-so welfare provision.

Would you expect a minister for health to promise to lock up more offenders?
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby someone on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:16 am

Quoting Ben Reilly from 00:50, 17th Mar 2006

You will do WHAT??!?!!?

As I said at SRC on Tuesday night, when the University raised the possibility of removing welfare support for Raisin Weekend, I told them that, in that case, the Students' Association would feel a moral obligation to provide it. The University have subsequently decided to continue the provision.

In other words, there is nothing for you to promise, and even if there was an issue, it would be for the Director of Representation, not you.

Ben,

That the possibility was suggested indicates that it's crossed the minds of those in Collegegate.

It's like the Uni with EI. Yes, they've said that they have a commitment to transparency. But have they followed through just yet? Not quite. While the University has stated that it will not withdraw welfare support, circumstances may change between now and November (a very long way away, comparatively speaking) and the Association may have to respons.

I agree with you that the issue is primarily for next year's DoR. However, it is certainly in the remit of the President to support the DoR in this endeavour and to let the electorate know that a Presidential candidate will be 100% behind the effort. Particularly as the President is the official spokesperson of the Association, it's good to know that he or she will support the DoR's welfare agenda.

someone
Nominated for Association President
someone

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:19 am

Oh, I agree with you that things may change.

Interesting to bring up EI, considering that you resigned from the SRC because of the Environment & Ethics policy it passed (which is remarkably similar to the one passed a few weeks ago...).
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby someone on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:28 am

Quoting Ben Reilly from 01:19, 17th Mar 2006
Oh, I agree with you that things may change.

Interesting to bring up EI, considering that you resigned from the SRC because of the Environment & Ethics policy it passed (which is remarkably similar to the one passed a few weeks ago...).

Except the one little section in the old one, missing from the present one (which I voted in favour of, thank you very much) that says the Association could deny use of the Association building to "groups or individuals" whose thinking or actions it deemed "Unethical," which is in violation of both the European Convention 1972 and the Human Rights Act (1998)...

...but then you knew I'd answer that question exactly like this, Ben, so why even bring it up? :)
someone

Re:

Postby Spike on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:07 am

What is your motivation for becoming association president?
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:12 am

What, you mean like those that contravene Chapter 18 of the Laws? Shocking.
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:32 am

Quoting Ben Reilly from 01:06, 17th Mar 2006
Tobias,

The current system with the SRC where everybody has their own individual areas was actually designed to reduce collective responsibility.

Of course Preston can promise to vote on the SRC in favour of something, but he really can-not promise to deliver so-and-so welfare provision.

Would you expect a minister for health to promise to lock up more offenders?

Hmm. No, not at all convinced by that. But this isn't the place for this discussion.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby someone on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting Spike from 02:07, 17th Mar 2006

1) I enjoy the work, I care about the University and town, and I want to make St Andrews place a better place to live and study.

2) The policy-specific 'whys', taken directly from my manifesto-
I know how the Association operates—and where it falls down. Don’t get me wrong here: there are parts of the Association that work very well. The Charities Campaign Rag Week, Freshers’ Week and many other events prove consistently that the Union, our officers, and our volunteers are capable of doing incredible things. We have to enable our students to do more--- why not an Athletics Campaign? Arts Campaign? Societies’ Campaign? It can get done. We need to give our students the communication and advertising tools to get events like this done.

I know which issues affect all students. The library and printing capacity at this University is sorely lacking. The books we need are thin on the ground: often there being only a few copies for hundreds of students. Short loan is too short. The printers I need malfunction on a regular basis. I know what’s going on at this University and I want to enable the Association to do something about it.

I play sports. Accordingly, I want to get the Athletic Union to work closer with the rest of the student body, with the Association leading the way. I have experienced first-hand the lack of support some sports have from the student body as a whole. We don’t get enough spectators for the University to justify funding the AU more. I propose to work closely with the Athletic Union in order that we can generate an increasing level of support for our sports clubs. I’ve also experienced how under-funded Athletic programs can hit the student right in the wallet… transportation and training costs can make participation in sports prohibitively expensive for some.
More on this later.

I have been, and remain, actively involved in the Societies sector. As President of the Overseas Society I have experienced how the reality of having to fund all events yourself can curtail many plans. I want to work with the Students’ Association to help increase funding to all societies, and enhance the student experience at the University of St Andrews.

3) I have a younger sister here. I'd like to hang out with her for another year and see her graduate.
someone

Re:

Postby someone on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting Spike from 02:07, 17th Mar 2006

1) I enjoy the work, I care about the University and town, and I want to make St Andrews place a better place to live and study.

2) The policy-specific 'whys', taken directly from my manifesto-
I know how the Association operates—and where it falls down. Don’t get me wrong here: there are parts of the Association that work very well. The Charities Campaign Rag Week, Freshers’ Week and many other events prove consistently that the Union, our officers, and our volunteers are capable of doing incredible things. We have to enable our students to do more--- why not an Athletics Campaign? Arts Campaign? Societies’ Campaign? It can get done. We need to give our students the communication and advertising tools to get events like this done.

I know which issues affect all students. The library and printing capacity at this University is sorely lacking. The books we need are thin on the ground: often there being only a few copies for hundreds of students. Short loan is too short. The printers I need malfunction on a regular basis. I know what’s going on at this University and I want to enable the Association to do something about it.

I play sports. Accordingly, I want to get the Athletic Union to work closer with the rest of the student body, with the Association leading the way. I have experienced first-hand the lack of support some sports have from the student body as a whole. We don’t get enough spectators for the University to justify funding the AU more. I propose to work closely with the Athletic Union in order that we can generate an increasing level of support for our sports clubs. I’ve also experienced how under-funded Athletic programs can hit the student right in the wallet… transportation and training costs can make participation in sports prohibitively expensive for some.
More on this later.

I have been, and remain, actively involved in the Societies sector. As President of the Overseas Society I have experienced how the reality of having to fund all events yourself can curtail many plans. I want to work with the Students’ Association to help increase funding to all societies, and enhance the student experience at the University of St Andrews.

4) I have a younger sister here with whom I've been going to school, uninterruptedly, since the age of 9. I'd like to see her graduate.
someone

PreviousNext

Return to Elections 2006