Home

TheSinner.net

Bryn Williams: Nominated for SSC Debates Officer

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Bryn Williams: Nominated for SSC Debates Officer

Postby Bryn on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:30 pm

If you have any questions, please post them here. I'll answer them after the Candidates Meeting on Friday evening.
Bryn

Re:

Postby Louise Hallman on Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:55 am

The position of SSC Debates Officer (UDS President) is the most heavily contested position (excluding that of Association President) in this diet of elections. What do you think sets you apart from the rest of the competition? How do you think the UDS will benefit with you as Convenor?

[s]this question will be asked of all candidates[/s]

Louise Hallman
Nominated for SSC Member Societies Grants
Louise Hallman
SSC Member Societies Grants
McIntosh Hall Senior Student
Louise Hallman

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:15 pm

What, if anything, would you do to maintain or improve communication and relations with alumni?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Bryn on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:16 pm

Quoting Louise Hallman from 08:55, 13th Mar 2006
The position of SSC Debates Officer (UDS President) is the most heavily contested position (excluding that of Association President) in this diet of elections. What do you think sets you apart from the rest of the competition? How do you think the UDS will benefit with you as Convenor?

The short answer to that is Experience and Vision. The long answer is that I've been actively involved in all sections of the Debating Society since first year, and I've also been involved in the Students' Association from the same time. This puts me in the unique position of being able to see all sides of the coin, and to understand the various pressures put on the Debating Society and the position it exists within the Students' Association. If any conflict arises between different invested parties, I'm able to work with people to find a solution that makes everybody happy. It is necessary for the SSC Debates Officer to do this in order to ensure that the Society is in the strongest position possible, and that the Students' Association is pleased to help it out.

This experience means that I've seen where the Society is successful, and how it could be improved. In terms of our Lower Parliament Hall debates, they need to be on issues that students care about and they have to have high-profile external speakers who are experts on the subjects they are speaking on. Overly technical debates or lots of in-jokes don't provide the service that LPH is there for, because students won't understand it or be able to contribute. Our training programmes similarly need to be providing a real service to the student body. Our competitive debates training is very good, but the service should be extended to cover rhetoric, presentation and interview skills, and so on. The other two parts of the Society, Schools and Inter'Varsity (competitive) Debating both provide an excellent ambassadorial role, which is beneficial to the Society and the University as a whole, but both sections need to be providing a real service to the students, because they are who we work for.

So, I'm experienced, I have vision, I'm dedicated, I'm passionate, and I'm able to think outside the box. I will demand nothing but excellence from the Society, and I will work really hard to get it.

Bryn Williams
Nominated for SSC Debates Officer
Bryn

Re:

Postby Bryn on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:19 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 14:15, 13th Mar 2006
What, if anything, would you do to maintain or improve communication and relations with alumni?

Alumni relations is something that's been talked about since I've been involved, but has never fully got off the ground. I'd work hard with the Serjeant-at-Arms to finally get a working Alumni register, and make sure that those on it get some sort of Newsletter from the Society. It's a small first step, but it will remind people that we are still here, and still the Society that they loved, which puts us in good stead for keeping in contact with them in future or inviting them to speak.

Bryn Williams
Bryn

Re:

Postby A66 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:01 pm

Same question for all the debates people.

I am not intrested in debating, sorry just isn't me. Why should I vote for you out of the list of names on the ballot?
A66

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:32 pm

Quoting A66 from 23:01, 13th Mar 2006

I am not intrested in debating, sorry just isn't me. Why should I vote for you out of the list of names on the ballot?

Thanks for the question. The Debating Society could be offering a great deal beyond what it currently does. The main obvious benefit to yourself is the workshops I plan to set up covering training in argumentation, rhetoric, public speaking, presentation and interview skills. These skills will be highly useful in later life, and it's not something the University offers. The number one complaint from graduate employers is that graduates don't know how to interview well, and don't know how to give a presentation. We have the skills to teach you how to do this, as well as recruiting superb outside experts to train you.

In another arena, I plan to do my utmost to give something back to the community, with our Schools Debating competitions. I've been in talks with University Admissions, and they're keen to help out with our outreach progammes. This will give kids greater access to the University, and the University will benefit hugely as a result.

I'm also going to do my utmost to raise the profile of the Society, and consequently the University. Over the last year, I've revamped the Society's corporate image, and as President I want to continue this work to create a positive reputation for the Society. This includes our excellent IV debaters, but also writing to alumni, and when asking high-profile people to speak making sure we give a good impression. This can only benefit the university, and subsequently the graduates of the University when going out in to the real world.

The Debating Society has a reputation for looking after its own interests instead of others. I'm going to do my utmost to change that, constantly looking for ways to extend our skills and provide a valuable service to the student body, the University and the wider community.

Futhermore, SSC Debates Officer is not only Debating Society President, but an Officer of the Students' Association. That involves more than just looking after the Debating Society, it involves working hard within the Association to make sure the whole of the SSC is working hard for the student body, and keeping in mind the students' interests. I've been involved in the Association since my first year, and I plan to continue working hard to ensure that students get the most out of their University life.

Thanks again!
Bryn Williams
Bryn

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting Bryn from 12:32, 14th Mar 2006
Quoting A66 from 23:01, 13th Mar 2006

Thanks for the question. The Debating Society could be offering a great deal beyond what it currently does. The main obvious benefit to yourself is the workshops I plan to set up covering training in argumentation, rhetoric, public speaking, presentation and interview skills. These skills will be highly useful in later life, and it's not something the University offers. The number one complaint from graduate employers is that graduates don't know how to interview well, and don't know how to give a presentation. We have the skills to teach you how to do this, as well as recruiting superb outside experts to train you.

In another arena, I plan to do my utmost to give something back to the community, with our Schools Debating competitions. I've been in talks with University Admissions, and they're keen to help out with our outreach progammes. This will give kids greater access to the University, and the University will benefit hugely as a result.

I'm also going to do my utmost to raise the profile of the Society, and consequently the University. Over the last year, I've revamped the Society's corporate image, and as President I want to continue this work to create a positive reputation for the Society. This includes our excellent IV debaters, but also writing to alumni, and when asking high-profile people to speak making sure we give a good impression. This can only benefit the university, and subsequently the graduates of the University when going out in to the real world.

The Debating Society has a reputation for looking after its own interests instead of others. I'm going to do my utmost to change that, constantly looking for ways to extend our skills and provide a valuable service to the student body, the University and the wider community.

Futhermore, SSC Debates Officer is not only Debating Society President, but an Officer of the Students' Association. That involves more than just looking after the Debating Society, it involves working hard within the Association to make sure the whole of the SSC is working hard for the student body, and keeping in mind the students' interests. I've been involved in the Association since my first year, and I plan to continue working hard to ensure that students get the most out of their University life.

Thanks again!
Bryn Williams
Bryn

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:01 pm

Quoting Bryn from 12:32, 14th Mar 2006
Over the last year, I've revamped the Society's corporate image, and as President I want to continue this work to create a positive reputation for the Society.

What was the Society's corporate image?

What is it now?

How did you revamp it?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:42 pm

Quoting cain from 16:01, 14th Mar 2006
What was the Society's corporate image?

It didn't really have one besides the crest, which was low resolution and badly photocopied. I've made sure the crest was redesigned, incorporated in to a full logo, that was used across all of our publicity.

What is it now?

There are examples on the Debates website, which I designed: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~debates

All of our posters, letterheads, flyers etc have been in the same format for year, which means people recognise the Society immediately.

How did you revamp it?

By designing a professional image and using it consistently. It's a small thing, but it has helped a great deal. Image and reputation go beyond professional design, of course, and I want to extend that to my work as President. I strongly believe that a potential speaker is much more likely to reply to a letter that exudes professionalism than one which is quickly hashed together.

Bryn Williams
Bryn

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm

Effectively, your saying that you redesigned the logo for the UDS and increased its use?

I wouldn't call that revamping the Society's corporate image and creating a positive reputation for the society.

A corporation's image how it is perceived by its customers, clients, general public and other actors who are involved in some way in interacting with it. There's more to this than just a logo, which, semiotically speaking, is only as good as the people who interpret it.

What have you done to revamp the UDS's image as far as their dealings with sponsors go? How have you pushed the UDS's new image though media like the Courier, or the Society's dealings with schools and other debating societies around Scotland, Britain and the World?

Never mind that far afield, how has the image and reputation of the UDS been altered in the eyes of St Andrews students; the general public who vote with their feet as to how well the UDS is doing?

While i'm not about to diminish the importance of good photocopying (I'm a teacher and hae to deal with shoddy reproductions [of materials] every day) I do believe that there is more to the UDS's corporate image and reputation than you discussed in your previous post.

Armed with my above comments - How have you revamped the UDS's corporate image in the eyes of the stated audiences?

[hr]

Cain

Re:

Postby little headache on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:39 am

I'm asking this of all SSC Debates candidates:

If you are not elected, will you stand for a position on Board of Ten? If so, which one, why and how will you attempt to implement the improvements you promised in your campaign for President?
little headache

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:42 am

Perhaps a side note, but this semester I have found it hard to know when exactly debated will be held.

As Convenor, what will you do to publicise debates well in advance so as students can plan their activities accordingly?

(Essentially this stems from my annoyance that I don't know whether there'll be a debate on April 12th...)

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Bryn on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:40 am

Quoting cain from 19:08, 14th Mar 2006
Effectively, your saying that you redesigned the logo for the UDS and increased its use?

No, I redesigned the whole branding of the society, which was previously quite nonexistant. The fact that a number of people have said they are the best posters they have ever seen is testiment to the though, time and effort I put in to that.

What have you done to revamp the UDS's image as far as their dealings with sponsors go? How have you pushed the UDS's new image though media like the Courier, or the Society's dealings with schools and other debating societies around Scotland, Britain and the World?

Never mind that far afield, how has the image and reputation of the UDS been altered in the eyes of St Andrews students; the general public who vote with their feet as to how well the UDS is doing?

Well I can only do as much as my job on the Board of Ten entails. That was publicity and communications. But I've made a huge effort for the society to look professional, which I think has made a huge difference to the student body and attendence in Lower Parliament Hall, and did make a difference in the eyes of The Courier newspaper, who I helped regarding writing letters to Schools.

Furthermore, certain members of University staff, including David Corner, the Deputy Principle, and Frasier Keir in the Access department have been impressed with our professional nature when I set up meetings with them to discuss the future of the Society and its relationship with the University. You can get a lot done if you act in a mature, sensible manner, and know who to talk to.

Bryn Williams
Bryn

Re:

Postby Bryn on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:16 am

Quoting little headache from 00:39, 15th Mar 2006
I'm asking this of all SSC Debates candidates:

If you are not elected, will you stand for a position on Board of Ten? If so, which one, why and how will you attempt to implement the improvements you promised in your campaign for President?

Thanks for your question. I may well stand for my current position (Communications Secretary) again. It depends who else is thinking about it.

Bryn Williams
Bryn

Re:

Postby Bryn on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 00:42, 15th Mar 2006
Perhaps a side note, but this semester I have found it hard to know when exactly debated will be held.

As Convenor, what will you do to publicise debates well in advance so as students can plan their activities accordingly?

(Essentially this stems from my annoyance that I don't know whether there'll be a debate on April 12th...)

Thanks for your question.

The termcard has not been set for after Easter, since that will be the new Convenor's term. There are currently no plans for a debate on April 12th, but it will be up to the new Board of Ten. The term card up until Easter was posted on the website. Also, posters have gone out for every debate, and if you are our email list you will get an email every week about what's going on. If you're not on our email list, there are links on the website that tell you how to add yourself.

Beyond ensuring that the next Communications Secretary continues to do all of these things, I'm not sure what else can be done. I've done my utmost this year to ensure debates are publicised well in advance. Do you have any suggestions as to how it could be improved?

Bryn Williams
Bryn

Re:

Postby LK Today on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:40 pm

As the position of SSC Debates Officer is quite contested, and there were many questions on Tuesday night, I have saved my question for use on here. Of course, same question will be asked of all candidates. Therefore...

As the head of you subcommittee you will be the expert on that area, in your case Debates. However, you will also be charged with representing your subcommittee to the SSC and indeed the SSC to your subcommittee. How do you think you will manage with this dual, or indeed tripple, role?

Lee Kane
Nominated for Association Director Of Student Development and Activities
LK Today

Re:

Postby Bryn on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting LK Today from 20:40, 15th Mar 2006
As the position of SSC Debates Officer is quite contested, and there were many questions on Tuesday night, I have saved my question for use on here. Of course, same question will be asked of all candidates. Therefore...

As the head of you subcommittee you will be the expert on that area, in your case Debates. However, you will also be charged with representing your subcommittee to the SSC and indeed the SSC to your subcommittee. How do you think you will manage with this dual, or indeed tripple, role?

Lee Kane
Nominated for Association Director Of Student Development and Activities

Thanks for your question Lee.

I think I'll manage very well, and I think I've demonstrated that throughout my time in St Andrews and my involvement in both the Debating Society and the Students' Association. It's important to understand how SSC works, and how your subcommittee (in this case the Board of Ten) works as a group. I doubt I'd find myself in a very good position if I stormed in to SSC and demanded everything that the Debates Board wanted. I have to work with the SSC and find solutions that everyone can be happy with. Similarly, I need to be able to explain the decisions that SSC have taken to the debaters, who aren't always in the know about the workings of the Union. I feel very prepared to do this, and thus work for a Debating Society that is a strong and successful part of the Association.

Futhermore, the SSC is not just about representing your own interests, but working as a whole with the other Officers and Sabbaticals to ensure that Student Services and Student Activities are working to their full potential. While Debates is my special subject, as it were, I'm interested and enthusiastic about the other subcommittees: Societies, Charities, Mermaids, Ents, MusFund, the Design Team, the newly affiliated SVS, and so on. I'm really looking forward to working with them next year to ensure that Student Activities are successful.

Bryn Williams
Bryn

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:40 pm

Quoting Bryn from 09:40, 15th Mar 2006
No, I redesigned the whole branding of the society, which was previously quite nonexistant.

There's more to branding that just advertising. You need to think about the values of the brand, what it stands for, who it appeals to, how it conducts itself, the marketing mix that it needs to employ its branding policy and so on. The Society would have had some form of branding, though it may not have been consistent. So, what elements, other than the logo and its use did you redesign?

[hr]

Cain

Re:

Postby Sally on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:07 pm

If you could hold a debate on anything and invite any 6 speakers (doesn’t have to be realistic, just be realistic to the extent that they’re alive) what would you do?

Realistically, if you are elected, what debates could we expect to see from the Union Debating Society? How would you select motions and what are your ideas about the debates you would put on in LPH? Which speakers would you like to invite? How can LPH appeal to the wider student community?

Would you hold a debate or event on a weekly basis, as this year there have been weeks where nothing has happened. If LPH is unavailable on a Wednesday night when a debate is planned, what would you do as an alternative?
Sally

Return to Elections 2006