Home

TheSinner.net

Steve Savage: Nominatied for SRC Equal Opps & Welfare Officer

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Steve Savage: Nominated for SRC Equal Opps & Welfare Officer

Postby classydriver on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:49 pm

Like all the others, I'll answer any questions after the candidates meeting

Steve Savage
Nominated for SRC Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer
classydriver

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:13 pm

Steve -
Correct me if I am wrong but you are a member of the CU. How does that sit with equal opportunities?

Also when asked last year while walking down the travelator with two friends of mine (I will mention thier names if I get their permision) if you thought some one was gay did you not say 'no I try to think the best of people'

Dont get me wrong I like you Steve I just want to know that your position is entirely consistant when it comes to Equal Opportunities esspecialy where it concerns the Gay Comunity in St Andrews.

I look forward to your response.
OhhMy

Re:

Postby flossy on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:29 pm

Another question on a similar vein: what are your opinions on the currently available sexual health initiatives and what would you change?

[hr]

Not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby classydriver on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:07 pm

Ok. I can now answer questions since the gag has been lifted!

---
Ohhmy, to your question first. I am a member of the Christian Union. Association Equal Opportunities Policy is in place for a reason. Reasons which I fully accept and I promise that I will abide by any active Association policy.

As to my position on the "Gay community in St Andrews." My position is that I will represent all people groups/members of the Association without bias or prejudice.

---
Now to flossy's question. We currently have in place several good sexual health initiatives. The condom distribution scheme running throughout halls of residence are well placed to reach a sizeable proportion of the St Andrews Community.

There are also condom distributors in private residences also. These people are well placed to reach friends and flatmates however I feel we need to develop some method of reaching other students outwith these friendship groups. All Sabbaticals and Equal Opportunities and Welfare Sub-Committee members are (or should be!) trained condom distributors. The Sabbs are available 9-5 most days to distribute. Something I'd like to see is this information being more widely distributed.

Andrew Killen, the current member for Sexualities and Gender Issues has set up a Sexual Health drop-in clinic on Friday afternoons. I'd like to consolidate the work that he is doing and look at ways to expand this initiative.

Something that I'm keen to see happen is an awareness campaign on sexual health issues. Some people I have spoken to on the subject of Sexual Health have said 'Oh that doesn't affect me.' It is something that CAN affect anyone and I'd like to try and raise this point at large with the Student body.

Thank you both for your questions! Hope that helps clarify both points!

Steve Savage
Nominated for SRC Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer
classydriver

Re:

Postby sweet on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:19 pm

[b]Quoting classydriver from
As to my position on the "Gay community in St Andrews." My position is that I will represent all people groups/members of the Association without bias or prejudice.

This looks like an evasion of the question! As a Christian, do you feel that practising homosexuality is morally wrong? This issue is directly relevant to the position as if the answer is "yes" it seems that you are willing to sublimate your ethics/beliefs for the kudos of holding this position and of course that you *would* be prejudiced. (and i would think your are wrong, but that's my own opinion)
sweet

Re:

Postby classydriver on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:51 pm

Each person is an individual and therefore has a right to choose how to live there life. It is not my right (or anyone elses for that matter) to tell people how to live there lives. Yes being a Christian means that I live by certain guidelines but that is *my* choice for *my* life.

My answer to your question is no because of the reasons outlined above.

This job is about ensuring equal opportunities and welfare support is available for all students of the university regardless of religion, sexuality, etc and that I promise to provide.

One of my big election pledges is to launch a Cultural Diversity Events Week in October/November time (to coincide with Black History Month.) The success of this type of event is dependant upon participation of groups across the spectrum societies in St Andrews. I hope groups like J-Soc, IslamSoc, PaganSoc, Christian groups, LGBT, UNICEF, etc. will want to get involved. We are so fortunate to be in a place where there are so many different cultures. Let's embrace that!

Another pledge is to attempt to tackle national issues. An example here is the current Blood Transfusion Service policy on gay blood donors. With our national representation body CHESS, I hope to tackle issues like these.

Steve Savage
Nominated for SRC Equal Opps & Welfare Officer
classydriver

Re:

Postby Bryn on Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:30 pm

Quoting classydriver from 16:51, 12th Mar 2006
One of my big election pledges is to launch a Cultural Diversity Events Week in October/November time (to coincide with Black History Month.) The success of this type of event is dependant upon participation of groups across the spectrum societies in St Andrews. I hope groups like J-Soc, IslamSoc, PaganSoc, Christian groups, LGBT, UNICEF, etc. will want to get involved. We are so fortunate to be in a place where there are so many different cultures. Let's embrace that!

There can be a fine line between embracing diversity and making a spectacle of it. There is a lot of criticism levelled at such events that it's a hollow gesture, doesn't do anything to change ingrained prejudice, and puts minority groups on a stage for the rest of society's entertainment. How would you deal with this sort of criticism if you do intend to put on such an event?
Bryn

Re:

Postby Louise Hallman on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:44 pm

The position of SRC Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer is one of the few contested positions in this diet of elections. What do you think sets you apart from your competitor? Also, if you were unfortunate to lose this election, would you still stay involved in EOW issues given this wasn't the area you came from?

[hr]

Louise Hallman
Nominated for SSC Member Societies Grants
Louise Hallman
SSC Member Societies Grants
McIntosh Hall Senior Student
Louise Hallman

Re:

Postby classydriver on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:12 am

Thanks for the question Louise.

I'm running on a groundwork of solid attainable goals. These are things I believe can be achieved in the span of a year through hardwork and dedication to the role. Both of which I promise to put in.

Yes, I would still like to be involved in EOW issues if I were not to be elected. Having attended Equal Opps & Welfare Committee meetings this term and the research I did before running for election, this is an area with so much potential for development within the Union and I hope that, if I win or lose, it does so.

Steve Savage
Nominated for Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer

Quoting Louise Hallman from 19:44, 14th Mar 2006
The position of SRC Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer is one of the few contested positions in this diet of elections. What do you think sets you apart from your competitor? Also, if you were unfortunate to lose this election, would you still stay involved in EOW issues given this wasn't the area you came from?

[hr]

Louise Hallman
Nominated for SSC Member Societies Grants
classydriver

Re:

Postby Minty on Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:35 pm

'I'm running on a groundwork of solid attainable goals. These are things I believe can be achieved in the span of a year through hardwork and dedication to the role. Both of which I promise to put in.'

As outlined in your 100 words I would assume your 'solid attainable goals' would be: campaigns on issues such as drink spiking and sexual health and expanding the condom distribution scheme. As I understand these campaigns have been addressed over this past term (e.g. posters everywhere). Are there any unaddresed issues that you plan to introduce?

I look forward to your reply.

p.s. have you made up your mind on which month to have the Black History Month. You might want to look into that and pick the correct month. :)
Minty

Return to Elections 2006