Home

TheSinner.net

Lee Kane - Nominated for Association Director Of Student Development & Activities

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Re:

Postby LK Today on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:30 pm

Thanks for your very valid question.

I agree, the remit of these two position have not been as clealy defined this year as I would have like to have seen, however, we must remember that it takes longer than a year to define the position, and David has started to make headway with it.

The remit of the DoSDA is one of support, in every sense of the word, for student activities, that is, those animated by the students. The role of the DoES is more of a commercial role, planning the events which students want, and making the money.

As DoSDA I will have a number of responsibilities which are specific to my remit. For example, funding for socs, Mermaids, Debates, Charities, SVS and the other subcommittees, preparing the postgraduate summer pogramme, and liaising with the DoES in terms of helping societies to organise student animated events.

To read more on my policies, visit my website:

www.leekane.me.uk

Anything else, just post here or send me an e mail

Lee Kane
Nominated for Association Director of Student Development and Activities

Quoting cain from 09:20, 15th Mar 2006
Quoting LK Today from 00:44, 12th Mar 2006
Firstly, room bookings and management of Association resources.

Secondly, be available to all societies and subcommittees as a support for their workings.

Thirdly, and finally for now, the DoSDA should represent the needs of student activities to the SSC and the SRC, and, indeed, to the DoES.

so, we have the DoSDA as an Administrative post, the DoSDA as a Societies Officer and the DoSDA replicating the work of the DoES.

Something that my friends had been struggling to work out, remit wise (as the previous DoSDA has been allowed to cherrypick his own remit as he sees fit) - where does the role of the DoSDA end and that of the DoSDA start?

What defines an activity or an event?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
LK Today

Re:

Postby LK Today on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:32 pm

Just a quick note to anyone reading this thread. I am having problems with the 'r' on my keyboad, and sometimes I miss them out. Sorry!!!

Lee Kane
LK Today

Re:

Postby the Empress on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:54 am

Ok here is the post from Kat's thread:

is there any way the following will be addressed:

Room bookings (these have been made several times and are persistently messed up by the Union);

Equipment (TVs don't appear to work, the projector never seems to work at the start of [every!] semester - even when you've paid for it) This has a major impact on societies - you're plans for the first meetings are destroyed, and it doesn't make a good impression on newbies.

Also any chance of societies who actually need TV access getting preference over drama goups for the TV room/salad bowl - I know it's first come first serve, but it's pretty stressful (for the salad bowl last semester Sciffy, Filmsoc and Anime had to come to an arrangement between ourselves to make it work)! Plus, it seems strange to me that societies are supposed to pay for TV/projector hire (although hehe, no one seems to chase this up! And I dutifully paid it the last 3 semesters). It seems a bit pointless as the Association gives you a grant which you then pay back in equipment hire. I also think it should be made clear, with plenty of advance notice, that the TV must be booked seperately from the TV room. Conflicting roombooking information is given by different people, including the General Office. This is made worse by sudden society presidency changeovers where no guidance has been given. Also catering - we tried once last year to have a wine & cheese night, but were told we had to use Beatons. Then we were told that cheese would be too expensive to refrigerate overnight - in short the whole arrangement was an expensive disaster. Are you concerned that societies are encouraged to use Union venues and services which are inefficient?

[hr]

Better to win by admitting my sin, then to lose with a halo
the Empress

DOSDA Finances

Postby nicolafoister on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:59 pm

Dear Lee,

Question about your remit...

Does the DOSDA have access to the money available to subcommittees?
If so would the DOSDA have to clear the use of this money with the subcommittee in question?
What could this money be used for within the remit of the DOSDA?

Nicola
Nominated for SSC Postgraduate Officer
nicolafoister

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:57 pm

Hey hoofer!!!!! Just to let you know, i'll be voting for you hoof hoof!! Best of luck!!! You'll hoof it im sure!!!
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby LK Today on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:01 am

Thanks for posting here and sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. It's like Christmas eve- you know what I mean!!

Anyhow

Room bookings. At the moment these ae administered by the secretaies, under the control of the DoES. Next year, should we both be elected tomorrow (today) Graeme and I agree that these should be transfered to the DoSDA. Therefore, the system for booking them will come under my responisbility. While I will not be changing the process greatly, I will be making some modifications. For example, rooms will be allocated in terms of need. If you are having a rehearsal for 5 people, the TV Roo is suitable. If you are having a meeting for 50 people, then the Salad Bowl of Venue 2. I will also be lobbying Kendra Scott (Estates) to allow the booking of rooms in the Buchanan which the university has made available for student use, to be transfered to the Student's Association, as well as asking for more varied romms to be made available.

Equipment. This falls into both the remit of the DoSDA and DoES. I promise to ensue that everything is tested before it is hired out next year. Other than that, I can only ask the DoES to ensure that there will be technical support on hand when it is being used. As for the cost of it, that's down to the DoES. I will definately stand against any charges I see as excessive, and try to get student societies the best possible deal, but I cannot promise to get you if for free.

Wine and Cheese. I've heard things about this before, mainly from my flatmate who is president of AHA Soc. Due to Health and Safety policy, cheese being a daiy product is a problem. I know this sounds weird, and it is H&S gone mad, but it is so much better to be safe than sorry. I want student societies to use the union as much as possible, but if it is not possible, then i will help you find alternate, appropriate space. In this case, the Mansfield building for example.

I hope this answers your question, and sets any fears at rest. Please do post again if you would like anything made clearer, but as it is now 6am and I've about to get a couple of hours sleep before the carnival really begins, I pobably won't be able to reply until after the elected. Sorry!!

Lee Kane

Quoting the Empress from 11:54, 16th Mar 2006
Ok here is the post from Kat's thread:

is there any way the following will be addressed:

Room bookings (these have been made several times and are persistently messed up by the Union);

Equipment (TVs don't appear to work, the projector never seems to work at the start of [every!] semester - even when you've paid for it) This has a major impact on societies - you're plans for the first meetings are destroyed, and it doesn't make a good impression on newbies.

Also any chance of societies who actually need TV access getting preference over drama goups for the TV room/salad bowl - I know it's first come first serve, but it's pretty stressful (for the salad bowl last semester Sciffy, Filmsoc and Anime had to come to an arrangement between ourselves to make it work)! Plus, it seems strange to me that societies are supposed to pay for TV/projector hire (although hehe, no one seems to chase this up! And I dutifully paid it the last 3 semesters). It seems a bit pointless as the Association gives you a grant which you then pay back in equipment hire. I also think it should be made clear, with plenty of advance notice, that the TV must be booked seperately from the TV room. Conflicting roombooking information is given by different people, including the General Office. This is made worse by sudden society presidency changeovers where no guidance has been given. Also catering - we tried once last year to have a wine & cheese night, but were told we had to use Beatons. Then we were told that cheese would be too expensive to refrigerate overnight - in short the whole arrangement was an expensive disaster. Are you concerned that societies are encouraged to use Union venues and services which are inefficient?

[hr]

Better to win by admitting my sin, then to lose with a halo
LK Today

Re:

Postby LK Today on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:05 am

Good question Nicola, and one that I am not sure I can answe 100% I must admit. I believe that the DoSDA does have access to the money, being a names holder on a number of the account (as are Campbel Boyle the financial controler and Gillian fom the Cash Officer) however, funds do not need to be cleared by him or her. I know that when I get loans from Mermaids the cheques ae signed by the SSC Theatre Officer (Mermaids President) and the Treasuer. If elected, as DoSDA, I would be heavily involved in setting the budgets for the subcommittees, in deciding how much each one gets from the Activities pot.

Not sure if that answers you question. Hope it helps

Lee Kane

Quoting nicolafoister from 13:59, 16th Mar 2006
Dear Lee,

Question about your remit...

Does the DOSDA have access to the money available to subcommittees?
If so would the DOSDA have to clear the use of this money with the subcommittee in question?
What could this money be used for within the remit of the DOSDA?

Nicola
Nominated for SSC Postgraduate Officer
LK Today

Re:

Postby LK Today on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:06 am

Aw, thanks!

Lee Kane

Quoting pinkymoo from 21:57, 16th Mar 2006
Hey hoofer!!!!! Just to let you know, i'll be voting for you hoof hoof!! Best of luck!!! You'll hoof it im sure!!!
LK Today

Re:

Postby LK Today on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:35 pm

Hey guys

polls have just closed (30 mins ago) and I just want to post a message to everyone who came out and supported not only me but everyone else today also. There were some brilliant campaigns out there, and I think the 1666 turnout shows the apathy we feared isn't that true. As we wait for the results to come in, just sit back, relax and and have a Guinness for St Patricks day! I think we all deserve it!

Thanks again

Lee Kane
LK Today

Re:

Postby Cain on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:12 pm

that's still a turn out of less than 25%, which is lower than European elections.

[hr]

Cain

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:43 pm

But one of the highest turnouts in Student Union/ SRC/ Students' Association elections nationwide.

Seriously, 5% is considered high in some places.

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:43 pm

Even with a higher turn out, the fact that three quarters of posts were uncontested (and three quarters of sabbatical posts as well) is saddening.

Hopefully whoever wins today will address that as a priority.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby LK Today on Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:45 am

The 1666 is HUGE compared not only to what it has been in previous years that I can remember (wasn't it aroudn 1200 this time last year?) and an massive increase on the 300-500 I heard predicted by certain candidates. What has happened tonight it that a large number of the student body (in elections terms) have gone out and made their voice heard. Yes, the RON count was higher, I hope by way of protest at the lack of choice, however, at the end of the day, that really isn't my fault. I decided to un fo DoSDA in August last yea, and made it public knowledge from about Oct of last year. I waited in suspense for almost 5 months trying to wok out who my opponent(s) would be. They never materialised. What was I supposed todo, go out and find someone to run against me? "Hi! I'm intending to run fo DoSDA- will you un against me?" I don't think so.

Also, I resent a certain term I have heard being branded around today, that of 'DoSDA by default'. Let me set minds at rest now. While I was elected uncontested, I promise that that will be the most relaxing part of my career as DoSDA. I WILL work hard for you. I WILL make this position what it deserves to be. I WILL do my job tot he vey best of my abilities, as I am a fim believer in two sayings...

'If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing right'

and

'If a jobs woth doing, it worth doing wrong... but atleast you'll have tried'

If at any point you do not think I am doing my job, then PLEASE come to the office and shout at me. You all have my full permission.

Thanks again guys who suppoted me throughout. I look forward to serving the whole student body

Lee Kane
Association Director of Student Developement and Activities Elect
LK Today

Re:

Postby sweet on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:41 pm

Congratulations! No doubt you will kick ass x
sweet

Previous

Return to Elections 2006