Home

TheSinner.net

Christopher Berry- Nominated for Athletic Union President

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Christopher Berry- Nominated for Athletic Union President

Postby cberry on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:58 pm

Athletic Union Elections will be held concurrently with Union elections, with voting done at the same booths. I feel this forum is an appropriate place for AU candidates as well.

I am running for the Sabbatical position of AU President. If you have any questions about my campaign or my ideas, please post them and I will answer them as timely as possible.

Information on my campaign can be found on my blog, http://www.christopherberry.com. and my facebook group http://standrews.facebook.com/group_pro ... p?gid=9364

A quick word on me: I have spent 2 years as president of a student political organization (the Liberty Club) and 3 years on the Committee of the Sailing Club. As Commodore of the Sailing Club, I've grown the club into one of the largest clubs in the AU, with 120 members, £24000 in assets (from £8000 in 2004), and sailing capacity for 28 (from 10). I am well versed in the workings of the AU as a member of the AU Allocation of Funds Committee, and I also sit on the Scottish Universities Sailing Association Committee as the SUSA Team Captain. My summer work for the past 3 years was Race Manager for a large yacht club, so I have a strong sports-based background. I hope to bring my management expertise to the AU to create a more effective body with more dialogue between clubs and the administration. I feel the AU, though limited in its funds, is more constrained by its management structure than anything else.

Christopher Berry
Nominated for AU President
cberry

Re:

Postby someone on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Hi Chris, long-time no-see! But first, a few questions.

1) What are your main ideas regarding the AU?

2) Do you think a closer relationship between the AU President and the Association President would be valuable for the student community? What could such a relationship offer to the AU?

3) Would you be willing to work with next year's Association President and Director of Student Development and Activities to advertise home games in the centre of town?

someone.
Nominated for Association President.
someone

In response to Preston:

Postby cberry on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:56 pm

In response to Preston:

"1) What are your main ideas regarding the AU?"

The AU lacks the long-term management structure that would take full advantage of the relationship between the organization and the various clubs. The hiring of Matt Adcock as Sports Development Officer and the current committee’s focus on long-term planning has already shown huge dividends in the form of future funding increases. For the AU to further expand its resource base, the AU needs a better idea of its funding needs. A history of poor communication between the AU and its member clubs has prevented the AU of understanding the needs of its own clubs. I hope to work closer with sports clubs so that I can more effectively appeal to the University for resources. Furthermore, I hope to put in place a more comprehensive long-term structure of communication between the clubs and the AU.

Successful management is of primary importance over the next few years. The new targeted funding regime and continuing merger negotiations with the Department of Sport and Exercise necessitate a more unified and proactive AU, possible only through a new relationship between the AU and its member clubs.

"2) Do you think a closer relationship between the AU President and the Association President would be valuable for the student community? What could such a relationship offer to the AU?"

A closer relationship between the AU and Association President would be of benefit to the student community. Both the Association and the AU are organizations owned by the students, and both should be responsive to their needs. Both organizations aim to provide the best possible product to its student members. On a very primative level, a positive and public relationship between the AU and Association would only serve to improve the overall student product available at the University. Once in office, I'm sure there would be more obvious technical advantages to such a partnership.

"3) Would you be willing to work with next year's Association President and Director of Student Development and Activities to advertise home games in the centre of town?"

Of course I would. I think there needs to be more publicity to the variety and quality of sport in town, and I would do everything in my power to promote such sport.
cberry

Re:

Postby Pan on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:22 am

What do you think about the floodlights adding an awful lot to the light pollution of this town and being detrimental to the astronomers? Do you intend to uphold the agreement made by the AU and the Astronomers whereas the lights must be switched off before a certain time (I think about 9 or 10)? and earlier on certain nights?

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby cberry on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:41 am

Admittidly I do not know much about this issue, but of course would look into this issue if elected. Is the agreement with the AU or the Sports Centre (as they are, confusing many people, different bodies)? If the AU was liable to such an agreement I would of course respect it.

Chris
cberry

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:50 am

Chris Berry? As in former Liberty Club President?

Ben Nicholson
Nominated for SRC Accommodation

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Re:

Postby cberry on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:55 am

Ben

Yes that is the one. I've edited my opening post to include my sports based experience. I ran the Liberty Club for 2 years, but have also been instrumental in the runnings of the Sailing Club. I was the founding helm of the Yachting Team, and have been an A team helm for both the dinghy and yachting team for all 4 years at Uni. I spent a year as Training Officer, then Race Captain, and finally Commodore of the Sailing Club. I sit on the AU allocation of funds committee and also Captain the Scottish Unis Sailing Team.

So my interests are not just political!

Chris
cberry

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:09 pm

Quoting cberry from 11:55, 14th Mar 2006

So my interests are not just political!

Chris

Thank goodness for that! ;)

Anyhow, thanks for the impressive C.V.

Q: The new Sports Strategy sees the merger of the AU and the Sports Centre and the chanelling of extra funds for elite clubs - your thoughts?

[hr]

BenEsq

Re:

Postby cberry on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:14 pm

The merger of the DoS and AU is a seperate program than new funding structure for elite clubs. I will address the latter:

First of all, the funding towards elite clubs is NEW funding, the first real funding increase to the AU in many, many years. All clubs will benefit as Elite Clubs, who have previously drained funds from the regular operating budget, will now have a seperate budget to work from- giving all clubs more money.

I support the changes for that reason and also because it moves towards a system of funding clubs based on their needs. Clubs that perform at an elite level (usually this means the top of BUSA) are relatively more expensive because of their level of competition. Their demand for coaching, transport, and equipment will be higher. This program will recognize this need of additional funds and 'target' the funds for maximum benefit.

What needs to happen in the near future is to also secure funds for mass participation sports. Like elite sports, mass participation sports require additional funds based on their characteristics. If the AU can successfully locate additional funds for these two branches of sport, there will be more effective (and in real terms more) funding for all.

Chris
cberry

Facebook Group

Postby cberry on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:11 pm

All of you wishing to help my campaign should check out the facebook group "Chris Berry for AU President." 100 members and counting in less than a day!

Note that AU election rules are different than Association Election Rules, so using the facebook IS allowed (checked into this one)

Chris
cberry

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:10 pm

You have so far dodged the question of the merging of the DoSE and the AU.

1. Are you for or against the merger?
2. Do you think the merger would see business interests (i.e. DoSE interests) put before the interests of AU clubs?

Laurence Tonkin

[hr]

'If something has to change then it always does'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby cberry on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:34 pm

Laurence,

Sorry for dodging! Wasn't my intention!

In principle I am for the merger, but have similar reservations as the current AU administration- that is, what guarantees and safeguards are there to insure both an increase in the resources and the quality of student sport. It is my understanding that the merger will be a complex 3-4 year process, and that future AU Committee will have to focus on all of the details while negotiating with the DoSE.

I feel I am well positioned to negotiate with the DoSE over the details of the merger. I will not take the AU into any contract until I feel satisfied the AU and student clubs have been given clearer and guaranteed benefits.

I hope this answers your question.

Chris Berry
Nominated for AU President
cberry

Re:

Postby athene on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:42 pm

You mention your policies for elite and mass participation sports, but not smaller or non-competitive sports, which may previously have missed out on funds due to a lack of BUSA points. How would you treat them?
Also, talking to people I get the general idea that few know what the AU President really does, considering that the sports teams run themselves. Could you give us an idiots guide?
athene

Re:

Postby cberry on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:28 pm

Quoting athene from 21:42, 16th Mar 2006
You mention your policies for elite and mass participation sports, but not smaller or non-competitive sports, which may previously have missed out on funds due to a lack of BUSA points. How would you treat them?
Also, talking to people I get the general idea that few know what the AU President really does, considering that the sports teams run themselves. Could you give us an idiots guide?

What is often missed in the debate about elite sports is that this is a form of extra funding, the first real funding increase to the AU in many years. Elite sports stand to gain a relatively large sum, however by taking them out of the general AU budget there will likely be an additional 20-25% more to spend on the remaining non-elite clubs.

The funding scheme targets ‘Elite Clubs,’ ‘Development Clubs’ (entitled to additional coaching funds) and ‘Participation for All’ (these clubs have no additional funding for 2006-2007), but also has provisions for clubs to be funded as they are currently. It is unlikely we would derive targeted funding from the University for non-development, non-elite clubs, so I would not support further subdividing of this group. Instead I would focus on improving the methods used currently, and with the additional 20-25% freed up from by the elite sports, all sports clubs would progress.

As I mentioned in my statement, the AU needs to understand the needs of its clubs better for it to be a more effective funding body. This applies for smaller and non-BUSA Clubs as much as it does for the largest and most competitive clubs. By sitting down with each committee and providing more flexible methods for Clubs to interact with the AU, clubs needs will be treated in a more individual way that will benefit everyone.

WHAT DOES THE AU PRESIDENT DO:

The idiots guide: The Athletic Union President runs the Athletic Union, sits on a variety of sports-related committees, and delivers University Funding to and governs the various sports clubs, and involves himself in a variety of sports-related administrative roles.

Hope this helps,
Chris
cberry

Return to Elections 2006