Home

TheSinner.net

St Salvator's Hall

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

St Salvator's Hall

Postby Howard on Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:16 am

Im going into St Salvator's Hall next year so can anyone tell me what it's like? The rooms, the food etc
Howard

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:16 am

Oh, Sallies is really nice. I've never stayed there overnight, but I gather that the rooms are nicely sized, the food certainly won't be any worse than elsewhere (and doubtless better than in Melville, whih gave me what I like o term 'involuntary anoexia'), and the whole place is just beautiful.

One piece of advice: if you're thinking of staying there for a second year, STAND FOR THE HALL COMMITTEE. Don't ask why - just do it. You'll learn later...
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby ariel on Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:28 pm

Think Disneyland hotel.It's St Andrews...in a hall!
I Say Who, i Say When, I SAY WHO!!!!
ariel

Re:

Postby Howard on Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:52 pm

I dont think ill be standing for the hall committee as i recon itll be a bit bent
Howard

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:54 pm

You'll love it there. Even though it's a little small and sometimes you can get a little claustraphobic. It is a great hall with a great hall committee next year.

The rooms vary in sizes. Some are rather large, these are the corner rooms and the ones with the big bay windows. There are smaller rooms but there is plenty of space to store all of your stuff.

The food is awful though. More then once a day groups of Sallies residents would be seen in Tesco after meals. The menu is very repetitive.

Overall it's a great hall. You'll enjoy it a lot.

Quoting Howard from 17:20, 27th Jun 2005
Im going into St Salvator's Hall next year so can anyone tell me what it's like? The rooms, the food etc

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:56 am

Quoting Howard from 12:07, 1st Jul 2005
I dont think ill be standing for the hall committee as i recon itll be a bit bent

Good to see people approaching university with an open mind...
Al

Re:

Postby Stuart on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:20 am

Sallies food was fine when I was there.
Stuart

Re:

Postby physicist on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:25 am

Quoting Howard from 12:07, 1st Jul 2005

The hall committees organise the social events and are there to make the halls have a sense of community. They also ask on the returning students accommodation application form if you have had any position on any hall committees.
physicist

Re:

Postby Mademoiselle on Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:44 pm

It's a very nice hall, centrally located, beautiful grounds, near the beach etc...nice. Although it can get a bit catty; advice: make sure you do the rounds and see everyone before telling your little secrets to someone you think you can trust...they like the gossip (however this is not specific to sallies)...
I had a nice time there last year, got on great with my room mate (although the room was a tad small) and made two or three good friends (and loads of aquaintances)...
Just stay clear of any dirty gossip and petty jelousy and you'll be grand.
Good luck and congrats for getting into Sallies. Make the most of it :-)

E*
Mademoiselle

Re:

Postby Caroline on Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:50 pm

*sigh* ... sounds lovely.

I have to say that there is a small(ish) part of me that regrets deciding that Fife Park was the best place to rest my weary head during first year. And having lived in private accomodation last year and will be after summer...I kinna feel like I missed out not staying in halls.

...Never mind, I do geography so at least if I spend enough time hanging around the Irvine building i can pretend I stay in Sallies!
Caroline

Re:

Postby Sabina on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:06 pm

Haha, Food? sux. Avoid the warden, he is a wanker. Rooms are good if you get a big one, but some are soooo small you can barely move about! but DO make friends with the Porters, they are AMAZING and will be your best friends! Expecially Bob! Sallies is alot like Hogwarts! Avoid the rugger boys and their huggers and you will be fine. Sallies has a reputation for being clicky, and this is true!
Sabina

Re:

Postby Big X on Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:28 am

Quoting Sabina from 19:15, 10th Jul 2005

Haha, Food? sux. Avoid the warden, he is a wanker. Rooms are good if you get a big one, but some are soooo small you can barely move about! but DO make friends with the Porters, they are AMAZING and will be your best friends! Expecially Bob! Sallies is alot like Hogwarts! Avoid the rugger boys and their huggers and you will be fine. Sallies has a reputation for being clicky, and this is true!

err, can we all try and stamp out the use of the word 'click' instead of 'clique', two different words with two different meaning. groups of people are not 'clicky' they are 'cliquey'. rant over

[hr]

"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby u2sday on Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:23 pm

True True True
Quoting Sabina from 19:15, 10th Jul 2005

u2sday

Re:

Postby Tiger on Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:39 pm

The warden is completely unfair. He is very petty and if you get into trouble then he doesnt take you seriously and is known for contradicting himself on many occations. Luckily he is very unintimatating and only about 5'6". The porters are great (esp Bob-alicious) and the undergrad hall reps are on your side. But, the sub-wardens (post-grads) are a real nuisance and will often spoil your fun, end parties and order you to turn music down. They appear nice, but they soon become unpopular (generally due to their position, not their personalities). Having said all this, I had a great time in Sallies, esp the 1st semester. Basically, if you get on with your roomie well then youll highly enjoy your time, but if you don't, youll get pissed off and will be very glad to leave the hall at the end of the year. Your also allowed to smoke in your room (one of few halls that lets you) but his will probably be banned in the next few years. The warden is very strict about fires, so never ever light candels or insence or threaten the warden or youll get chucked out.
Tiger

Re:

Postby physicist on Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:29 pm

Quoting Tiger from 14:42, 16th Jul 2005
Your also allowed to smoke in your room (one of few halls that lets you) but his will probably be banned in the next few years.

After reading residence contracts for two different halls of residence for 2005/2006, it implies that the possession of cigarettes (like candles are now) are prohibited inside University halls of residence.

I'm not sure whether they have banned smoking, but this will surely make it very difficult.

As for wardens that look intimidating, I would try University Hall.
physicist

Re:

Postby physicist on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:40 pm

Further to my above post, they have banned smoking (section 3.2, explusion if caught) and cigarettes (section 3.6, final warning if caught).
physicist

Re:

Postby Caroline on Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:21 pm

hi- i'm a first year from new york and i'm going to be living in st. salvator's next year, too- room B29. how exciting! does anyone know what this room is like?
Caroline

Re:

Postby Tiger on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:56 pm

Quoting Caroline from 00:19, 20th Jul 2005
hi- i'm a first year from new york and i'm going to be living in st. salvator's next year, too- room B29. how exciting! does anyone know what this room is like?

I think that b29 is one of the best rooms. It's on the 2nd floor, and as you look at Sallies, it's on the far left. It has two huge windows, and another smaller one. It doesnt have a sea view but still, it's one of the largest rooms. Youll have a roommate and your corridor is short and your away from the subwardens so you should feel very pleased and lucky at having landed yourself with this beauty!
Tiger

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:57 pm

B29 is on the second floor all the way at the left end of Sallies (if you are facing it) Lucky you, its really big!

Re:

Postby Chris on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:57 pm

I'll be a first year from Massachusetts, room B13. Any information?
Chris

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!