Home

TheSinner.net

St Salvator's Hall

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Re:

Postby Chris on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:57 pm

I'll be a first-year from Massachusetts, room B13. Any information?
Chris

Re:

Postby Chris on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:45 am

Sorry, didn't mean to double-post.
Chris

Re:

Postby Jamie on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:46 am

Quoting Chris from 21:53, 20th Jul 2005

lol- that was my room. It's near the stairs, facing the front of the building (so not the sea). It's fine for one person size-wise, but for two (as I had) it's a little small compared to some of the palatial surroundings up on C corridor. To its advantage it's as good as opposite one of the B corridor kitchens and the toilets/showers, as well as being near the sneaky back staircase to the dining hall. Being at the front of the building you also get lots of early morning sun.

Only real problem with B13 is that it's quite isolated - you only have one immediate neighbour in your particular sub-section of the corridor, so if you're coming into 1st year you might want to see about a transfer to a room further down where more is going on (especially if you're without a room-mate), or else be prepared to have to work a little harder to go and meet people further down the corridor. Personally if I were warden, I wouldn't allocate it to 1st years, but with some initiative you could quite easily get to know the people beyond your immediate surroundings.

I might drop by sometime in freshers' week, I'd like to see the new resident of B13 :)
Jamie

Re:

Postby Chris on Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:50 am

Quoting Jamie from 10:31, 21st Jul 2005
Quoting Chris from 21:53, 20th Jul 2005

lol- that was my room. It's near the stairs, facing the front of the building (so not the sea). It's fine for one person size-wise, but for two (as I had) it's a little small compared to some of the palatial surroundings up on C corridor. To its advantage it's as good as opposite one of the B corridor kitchens and the toilets/showers, as well as being near the sneaky back staircase to the dining hall. Being at the front of the building you also get lots of early morning sun.

Only real problem with B13 is that it's quite isolated - you only have one immediate neighbour in your particular sub-section of the corridor, so if you're coming into 1st year you might want to see about a transfer to a room further down where more is going on (especially if you're without a room-mate), or else be prepared to have to work a little harder to go and meet people further down the corridor. Personally if I were warden, I wouldn't allocate it to 1st years, but with some initiative you could quite easily get to know the people beyond your immediate surroundings.

I might drop by sometime in freshers' week, I'd like to see the new resident of B13 :)

Sweet. I've got a roommate, but size doesn't particularly faze me, I've lived in small rooms with large roommates before.

The location sounds about perfect for me, I'm the kind of guy that needs a little quiet time once I finally retire to my room. I don't really worry about meeting people, though since I'm positive that I'll be out and about plenty.

Thanks for the low-down. Now I know what to look forward to, and I'm counting the days.
Chris

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:10 pm

How come all you Americans know exactly which room you have? I have confirmed accommodation as I already have exam results but they only sent me a contract to sign, not a room no.

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:10 pm

OK, doesn't matter, found the other post about how to tell from your letter. What's the A group like then?

Re:

Postby fred on Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:39 am

Sally's is ace, you people should count yourselves very lucky for getting in. I was on A floor last year, it's the first floor, pretty nice, and the sub-warden, Leanne, is sweet, assuming it's her again. Word of warning though - beware of the A floor milk theives!
fred

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:46 am

It is Sallies not Sally's.
Al

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:50 pm

Do you only find out who you're sharing with when you get there? (which is Saturday, I think, or do lots of people arrive on the Sunday too?) I was wondering if there is any system of swapping rooms if you end up with someone you really, well, hate.

Re:

Postby aladdinsane12 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:44 pm

Vote for Alex for Sports Rep when you get there! You won't regret it!
aladdinsane12

Re:

Postby Don on Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:43 pm

Quoting from 16:06, 7th Aug 2005
How come all you Americans know exactly which room you have? I have confirmed accommodation as I already have exam results but they only sent me a contract to sign, not a room no.

In the contract, it should have the address of where the offer is being made for. So it should have on the top right hand corner something like:

SS/A13a St Salvators Hall.

The SS is a code for St Salvators, the A is the floor, G being ground, A being 1st, B 2nd, C top, and D being D-Block, the number being the room number on that floor, and if you have an a,b or c, indicates whether you are sharing a room.

[hr]

Daz, makes your whites #gggggg
Don

Re:

Postby fred on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:39 pm

Quoting Al from 09:46, 9th Aug 2005

Actually, no it's not. Although "Sallies" is generally used, technically it should be Sally's, as the abbreviation of Salvator is Sally and it is the Hall of St Salvator, hence the apostrophe denoting possession - Sally's. "Sallies", in fact, suggests two or more people named Sally.

People arrive on both the Saturday and the Sunday. It's not generally possible to swap rooms unless you've got a really good reason, and I guess it would then be up to the warden. But don't worry, the vast majority of people get on well with their roommate.
fred

Re:

Postby Jason Dunn on Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:47 pm

Quoting fred from 16:39, 10th Aug 2005

Actually, no it's not. Although "Sallies" is generally used, technically it is Sally's, as the abbreviation of Salvator is Sally and it is the Hall of St Salvator, hence the apostrophe denoting possession - Sally's. "Sallies", in fact, suggests two or more people named Sally.

One cannot deny the logic of Fred's argument, though conversely one cannot deny that everyone writes "Sallies"; not that we should take a democratic approach in deciding what is and is not correct.

One thing is certain: it's St Salvator's Hall in St Andrews. Note the position of apostrophes and the absence of full stops (or periods if you'd rather) after the St; it is a contraction not a truncation.

Oh, and the emphasis is on the second syllable: sal-VAY-ter.

Call it what you like, it is easily the finest hall in St Andrews. I shall see you all in September. If you're lonely pop into C1 to see one.
Jason Dunn

Re:

Postby physicist on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:45 pm

Quoting fred from 16:39, 10th Aug 2005

Actually, no it's not. Although "Sallies" is generally used, technically it is Sally's, as the abbreviation of Salvator is Sally and it is the Hall of St Salvator, hence the apostrophe denoting possession - Sally's. "Sallies", in fact, suggests two or more people named Sally.

An alternative name for St. Salvator's College (which existed from 1450 until 1747) is the "College of the Holy Saviour". I'm not sure how he'll take being called Sally. As it is a colloquial term, it can take any form that people wish to use.

Note: From 1747, the United College of St. Salvator's and St. Leonard's uses the site of St. Salvator's College.
physicist

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:22 pm

First of all, Sally is not an abbreviation of Salvator. Putting the best possible slant on it, Sally could be described as a hypocorism for Salvator. Whether you think it appropriate to refer to Jesus as "Sally" is another matter.

Second, it has been known as Sallies (in that form) for years. Even the University uses that form. It has usage and tradition on its side as well as the fact that "Sallies" can only refer to either the hall or the quad.

Lastly, the correct - or traditional, at least - pronunciation of Salvator is sal-VAH-tor, Not -VAY-.
Al

Re:

Postby fred on Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:01 pm

[quote]Quoting Al from 16:22, 11th Aug 2005
First of all, Sally is not an abbreviation of Salvator. Putting the best possible slant on it, Sally could be described as a hypocorism for Salvator. Whether you think it appropriate to refer to Jesus as "Sally" is another matter.

Second, it has been known as Sallies (in that form) for years. Even the University uses that form. It has usage and tradition on its side as well as the fact that "Sallies" can only refer to either the hall or the quad.

Consider me put in my place, I agree that "abbreviation" was the wrong choice of word, although I did acknowledge that "Sallies" was the accepted form. However, as Jason points out, just because it's the most widely used form doesn't necessarily mean it is correct. But I still stand by my point that surely there should be an apostrophe? Not that's it of any great significance, but just on a point of interest.
fred

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:15 pm

I agree that, grammatically, there probably should be an apostrophe. The problem with spelling it "Sally's" is that it looks like it pertains to someone named Sally. Perhaps that is why the (undeniably) unorthodox spelling of Sallies was adopted?
Al

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:50 pm

Quoting Al from 16:22, 11th Aug 2005

Lastly, the correct - or traditional, at least - pronunciation of Salvator is sal-VAH-tor, Not -VAY-.

See I would have pronounced it that way but when I came up one day to have a look around I went in to the tourist information place and asked to be pointed to sal-vah-tors quadand they just stared at me blankly before "correcting" me...anyhoo

[hr]

Many Bothans died to bring you this information...
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:30 am

There has been an undeniable shift away from the correct pronunciation. I am not sure why. It has probably been caused by people emulating the pronunciation of "salvation". It is probably too late to save the traditional pronunciation.
Al

Re:

Postby Jess on Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:00 pm

hey, noticed someone is in B13, i found out today i'm in B11, sounds close hehe. anyone know anything about this room? x
Jess

PreviousNext

Return to New Students! First Years!