Home

TheSinner.net

accomadation advice needed!

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

accomadation advice needed!

Postby imo on Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:55 pm

i just got my accomodation through for september and im in a shared room in john Burnet hall. i wasnt terribly thrilled about this because the few people i kno are at st salvators hall and it is in a much more central location, it was also the only hall i looked at on the open day. is it worth trying to change? or has john burnet got loads of advantages that i just dont kno about yet? help would be really appreciated!
imo

Re:

Postby physicist on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:32 pm

Quoting imo from 17:47, 11th Jul 2005
i just got my accomodation through for september and im in a shared room in john Burnet hall. i wasnt terribly thrilled about this because the few people i kno are at st salvators hall and it is in a much more central location, it was also the only hall i looked at on the open day. is it worth trying to change? or has john burnet got loads of advantages that i just dont kno about yet? help would be really appreciated!

It is probably not worth trying to change. Both St. Salvator's Hall and John Burnett Hall are very nice inside, and you will find new friends in addition to those you already have. John Burnett is a small hall (second smallest undergraduate, so will get to know everyone) and I gather it has a lot of vibrant social events. And it is only a short walk to St. Salvator's Hall and the city centre, if you wish to meet up with your present friends.
physicist

Re:

Postby someone on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:57 pm

Quoting physicist from 20:32, 12th Jul 2005
And it is only a short walk to St. Salvator's Hall and the city centre, if you wish to meet up with your present friends.

The city centre! it seems absurb to me to describe St Andrews as having a 'city centre' Its nowhere near big enough.

John Burnett is supposed to have a good community spirit. Also if you have any classes in some of the science buildings then you might be more centrally placed.
I would advise sticking with what you have got. Having friends in different halls gives you a good excuse to explore them.
someone

Re:

Postby little headache on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:30 pm

second smallest undergraduate

What's the smallest?
little headache

Re:

Postby Duffman on Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:13 pm

Quoting little headache from 21:30, 12th Jul 2005

What's the smallest?

I'd assume St Regs

[hr]

"Can't get enough of that wonderful Duff"
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Re:

Postby physicist on Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:34 pm

Quoting Duffman from 23:13, 12th Jul 2005
Quoting little headache from 21:30, 12th Jul 2005

What's the smallest?

I'd assume St Regs

I calculated it to be Hamilton Hall with 131 residents, then John Burnett with 143 residents. St. Regulus is third with 171 residents and St. Salvator's Hall fourth with 175 residents. (The figures came from Student Accommodation Services.)

Over all halls and self-catering complexs, John Burnett Hall is actually fifth smallest.
physicist

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:07 am

Stick to the hall you've been allocated to, and you'll meet loads of new people, as well as all the people your existing friends will meet.
Ethan With

Return to New Students! First Years!