Home

TheSinner.net

What to bring?

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

What to bring?

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:39 am

So what do we need to bring to uni? Aside from obvious stuff like clothes and stationery. Anything you forgot the first time?

And most importantly ... can we put posters up on the walls in halls?

Re:

Postby physicist on Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:04 am

Quoting from 20:57, 16th Aug 2005
So what do we need to bring to uni? Aside from obvious stuff like clothes and stationery. Anything you forgot the first time?

University correspondence, anything you would take on holiday, favourite CDs and DVDs (or duplicates thereof), crockery, cutlery, glassware, cooking utensils, pots and pans, computer, stereo, evening wear (for the balls), money, etc.

Forget it - in one hall they charged a £10 fine per piece of blu-tac used on their wall (that's at least a £40 fine per poster). You could use the picture rails (if installed) or the pinboard.
physicist

Re:

Postby November Rain on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:44 am

Quoting from 20:57, 16th Aug 2005

Same as physicist said for what to bring, plus photos are always good, in case you're homesick or you want to show your new friends what your family/friends from home are like etc.

As for posters, I think it depends on the hall. My friend and I have been in DRH, DRA and Fife Park and in all of those places we've plastered our walls with posters, and got no fines, no mention of them in our Fife Park monthly inspections and you'll find that more people ignore the poster rules than don't, but again that might be because of the varying strictness from hall to hall. Bring 'em anyway and don't forget there'll be a poster sale in the Union during Freshers' Week :)
November Rain

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:48 am

Don't forget to bring decent speakers/sound system and your music collection. Very important.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:52 am

As for posters, I think it depends on the hall. My friend and I have been in DRH, DRA and Fife Park and in all of those places we've plastered our walls with posters, and got no fines, no mention of them in our Fife Park monthly inspections and you'll find that more people ignore the poster rules than don't, but again that might be because of the varying strictness from hall to hall.

Yeah, watch out though....if you're living in dra...i had posters all over my walls....MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THEM DOWN WHEN YOU HAVE AN INSPECTION....i got fined cos i had them on my wall in three consecutive inspections...(to be fair, i hadnt hoovered too...but the bastards charged me £35 to clean my room when i didnt want them to!!)
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:44 pm

It's useful to have a mug, some backup food (cupasoups, pot noodles), TOWELS, medicines, music, and a computer is quite good, although not essential. If you use your bike, that could be handy too, esp. for drunken cycling down the North Haugh when you cant be arsed walking home (altho try not to get arrested)

If you live in new hall, maybe a few boxes of cigarettes to trade for goods off of the other inmates (god, im hilarious).

As for posters, the pinboards are pretty huge, you could probably get 2/3 posters on them depending on what hall you are in. In New Hall they can be complete nazis about posters (unless wee Linda is your cleaner, she didnt grass us up), in DRH they didnt care cuz they were tearing the place down anyway, so that's irrelevant.
Setsuna

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:32 pm

Do you need all the crockery and cooking utensils even if you're in catered?

Re:

Postby physicist on Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:12 pm

Quoting Steveo from 13:48, 17th Aug 2005
Don't forget to bring decent speakers/sound system and your music collection. Very important.

Couldn't do without my stereo - also have laptop as emergency backup!

Quoting from 17:10, 17th Aug 2005

In undergraduate catered halls you will have 19 meals a week, which excludes weekend dinner. To cook that last meal you will require cooking utensils (probably a cut down set). Items required for afternoon tea are, of course, essential (i.e. teapot, side plates and either mugs or cups and saucers).

Quoting November Rain from 12:44, 17th Aug 2005
As for posters, I think it depends on the hall. My friend and I have been in DRH, DRA and Fife Park and in all of those places we've plastered our walls with posters, and got no fines, no mention of them in our Fife Park monthly inspections and you'll find that more people ignore the poster rules than don't, but again that might be because of the varying strictness from hall to hall.

The hall I was in (Chattan) was strict about such things.
physicist

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:23 pm

Quoting from 17:10, 17th Aug 2005

A couple of plates, a bowl and the odd knife and fork don't go amiss. You'll need to cook on weekends usually anyway. A saucepan is a luxury, but sometimes helps.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Thackary on Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:39 am

Befriend your cleaners from the start, and you'll go far.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Allan on Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:43 am

I wouldn't bother with the teapot or saucer, I didn't see anyone using either of them last year.
Allan

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:09 pm

Always remweber to bring your home brew kit.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tubular100.jpg
[hr]Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
[s]http://www.maxeh.co.uk [The Music Community][/s]
[s]http://www.macintyre42.plus.com [Projects Home][/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:42 am

The teapot, or if your tastes prefer, a coffee device, is essential for those late nights working, or that mid morning tea.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Lyra on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:04 am

Unless you want to save on washing up and just make tea in the mug.

*runs away to avoid being murdered by tea snobs*

[hr]

"I ate all your bees!" Manny, Black Books
The Man With No Name - Danger fits him like a tight black glove
Lyra

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:06 am

does anybody know how strict st regs are about posters?

Re:

Postby freshman on Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:06 am

how are the about posters in st. salvador?
freshman

Re:

Postby Cheryl on Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:08 am

Quoting Duggeh from 19:09, 18th Aug 2005
Always remweber to bring your home brew kit.

What's a home brew kit?
:/
Cheryl

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:08 am

halloween costume if you have one. finding/buying one up here is a nightmare

Re:

Postby aladdinsane12 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:37 pm

I was in Sallies last year and I never EVER got into any trouble for my posters (and my roommate and I had at least 8 on our walls and dresser). If you make friends with your cleaner, they won't tell anybody. I never had an inspection. Maybe I was just lucky.
aladdinsane12

Re:

Postby bramble on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:26 pm

Quoting from 22:31, 25th Aug 2005
does anybody know how strict st regs are about posters?

VERY!! They can only be hung by their tops from the picture rail, or on the cork noticeboards - and they do check quite regularly

[hr]

And i still hold your hand in mine when im asleep
Ich will die Ruhe stören...
bramble

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!