Home

TheSinner.net

John Burnet Hall

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Re:

Postby Alex(andra) on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:41 am

Might as well follow the trend and ask what people think about the annexe thingy since that's where i've been assigned... it's too early in the morning to start a long question so..er..to get to the point- is it nice?
Alex(andra)

Re:

Postby Marie55 on Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:48 pm

The annexe is quite nice. The kitchens are better than the main hall ones since the annexe is self catering over the christmas and easter holidays. They have more space and the luxury of a table and chairs. The rooms are fairly small but then you do get the ensuite.
The advantages of being seperate from main hall are that it tends not to be as noisy and if we have a fire alarm it doesn't affect the annexe people. It can be a bit seperate socially but since you have meals in main hall it doesn't have to be.
And funnily enough you won't be the only Alexandra in the annexe. :-)
Marie55

Re:

Postby lost on Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:28 pm

whats 311 like?
lost

Re:

Postby Rachel xx on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:55 pm

Hey there! According to my residence form iv been accomodated in the room 2/10 A. Cld anyone tell me what the "A" refers to and am i right in saying the "2" means im on the 2nd floor? Thanx!
Rachel xx

Re:

Postby Canandrew on Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:31 pm

Rachel, I believe the 'A' means you're in the Annexe, and if you're 2.10, then yes, you'll be on the top floor.

And as for room 3.11, it's a really decent room - really big, on the third floor facing towards the sea/golf course. It's got a cupboard in the wall (I think), which is also an added plus. Plus it's right by the nice kitchen on the third floor.
Canandrew

Re:

Postby Marie55 on Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:14 pm

Doesn't the A mean that you are person A in the room as opposed to person B?
Marie55

Re:

Postby Big X on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:43 am

Quoting Rachel xx from 18:45, 12th Sep 2005
Hey there! According to my residence form iv been accomodated in the room 2/10 A. Cld anyone tell me what the "A" refers to and am i right in saying the "2" means im on the 2nd floor? Thanx!

i was 'lucky' enough to be in 2.10 in my first year. its got a killer view of the golf course and a bit of the beach, nice to see the sunset from. it is one of the smaller rooms in JBH, but dont worry, the room opposite you is the biggest, it used toi be a common room, so just make friends with they people in there. I have no idea why canandrew said you were on the top floor, he sould know better. you are on the middle floor, one below you(ground or first depending on your view point) and one above you (where all of the 3.... rooms are). If you get there early get the bed next to the window, then you have the best view, aren't disturbed as much by your flatmate coming in through the door, and hacve the heating controls next to your bed. that way the room can be at the temperature you like!!!!! maybe i'll see you around in freshers week

[hr]

"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby ex-athollite on Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:56 pm

Quoting Marie55 from 18:48, 10th Sep 2005
The annexe is quite nice. The kitchens are better than the main hall ones since the annexe is self catering over the christmas and easter holidays. They have more space and the luxury of a table and chairs. The rooms are fairly small but then you do get the ensuite.
The advantages of being seperate from main hall are that it tends not to be as noisy and if we have a fire alarm it doesn't affect the annexe people. It can be a bit seperate socially but since you have meals in main hall it doesn't have to be.
And funnily enough you won't be the only Alexandra in the annexe. :-)

i beg to differ on teh 'not as noisy' part of your post there, hun. i know this thread is supposed to be all nicey-nicey for the new freshers and all, but really the annexe in my experience was not quiet - quieter than main hall if you must, but that's not saying very much.

Two words on the annexe noise issue:

THIN WALLS.

nothing more needs to be said really.
ex-athollite

Re:

Postby Marie55 on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:09 pm

Yeah, that's true about the thin walls. I haven't actually lived in the annexe. Spose u notice the noise more if you have to sleep there.
Marie55

Re:

Postby the racing tortoise on Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:38 pm

Quoting Marie55 from 22:09, 13th Sep 2005
Yeah, that's true about the thin walls. I haven't actually lived in the annexe. Spose u notice the noise more if you have to sleep there.

Heh you're living in JBH, with the amount you are gonna be drinking, sleeping will not be a problem.

[hr]

and I really don't want to say any more.
eternally optimistic - against all evidence
the racing tortoise

Re:

Postby Rachel xx on Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:08 pm

Big X thanx for the added info regarding the advantages of the window bed.lol, if my prospective room mate is reading this thread :let the race for it commence(nothing like a lil healthy competition!) Anyways, cya all on sat(ill b the first one at the John Burnet front door!)
Rachel xx

Re:

Postby Dardar on Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:54 pm

Quoting Rachel xx from 15:19, 14th Sep 2005(ill b the first one at the John Burnet front door!)

Are you camping outside as well?
Dardar

Re:

Postby Canandrew on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:44 pm

Quoting Dardar from 19:54, 14th Sep 2005
Quoting Rachel xx from 15:19, 14th Sep 2005(ill b the first one at the John Burnet front door!)

Are you camping outside as well?

I'm looking forward to it. Can we expect to see you there Dardar? It's going to be fun. I'll get Tab to bring marshmellows and bevvy.

Anyhow, it might very well be 2.11 in the main hall, cause I think the annexe rooms are listed like 'A2.11', so nevermind. I don't really know what I'm talking about. And as for thin walls in the Annexe, there are thin walls everywhere because the building is made of construction paper. I used to have full conversations with the guy in the room next to me in first year.
Canandrew

Re:

Postby Rachel xx on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:43 am

lol I daresay i may have planned to were it not for the following thought process: several hours with the icy cold sea air of st andrews circulating through my tent may well turn me into an immobile icicle making me therefore unable to get to my room until the sun's warming rays has returned the use of my limbs. So you see camping out may no be the wisest of moves my friend, still if ur that prospective roomate of mine-feel free to!
Rachel xx

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:33 am

I am indeed already here my friends... the place has changed a bit though. Although I'm not technically allowed to bring you in, I might have to, to make sure you don't get hypothermia. Or something like that. You can come and check out the totally NEW sweetie shop (okay, it's not that different) the NEWLY painted walls (pink and purple and beige! All together! Nice!), not to mention the incredible price hikes on the vending machines - 80 pence for a bottle of pop... 'yer 'avin a larf'.

Ahh, it's good to be back.

Previous

Return to New Students! First Years!