Home

TheSinner.net

Under 18s

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Under 18s

Postby Caz on Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:54 pm

Hey. As much as it kills me, I have to wait until october to turn 18. I was just wondering how strict places in St Andrews are on id? Thanks
Caz

Re:

Postby Hannah on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:03 pm

Quoting Caz from 21:47, 6th Sep 2005
Hey. As much as it kills me, I have to wait until october to turn 18. I was just wondering how strict places in St Andrews are on id? Thanks

lol yeah i know how u feel, iv got to wait til january :( !!!
Hannah

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:05 pm

Stay out of the Union since they check matric cards every night. Other than that, I've never heard of anyone getting carded in St Andrews except in Tesco.

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby White Knight on Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:16 pm

Think Dr A is a little harsh, you can go in the Union but just be careful what you drink, i.e. dont go to the bar in freshers week and dont get caught!
White Knight

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:18 pm

Don't get caught drinking booze in the union, it's really not worth it for the wait of a few months. They can be pretty good at ratting anyone underaged out...

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:29 am

Flare perhaps explains better what I meant. I've heard horror stories of underage kids drinking at the union and getting banned for I don't know how long. You might as well steer clear for a month instead of risking it.

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby lts2 on Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:57 am

I went a year and a half in St Andrews being under 18. Be careful in the union as they do keep an eye on people under 18, apart from that I've only ever been refused twice in 1 1/2 years so don't worry about it! :)
lts2

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:37 am

Quoting DrAlex from 23:05, 7th Sep 2005
I've never heard of anyone getting carded in St Andrews except in Tesco.

You WILL get ID'd in Alldays if you look under 21, I can assure you. The manager is extremely strict about this after recent spot-checks caught a few other stores out, resulting in several employees going to court.

Re:

Postby paw paw on Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:09 am

You'll be fine, i had to go til feb last year being 17 i was never caught drinking in the union, just dont bring attention to yourself and try and get someone who is 18 to buy your drink sif you think they are watching you - my flatmate was banned for 6 months from november but she went in every week and they never even noticed.
paw paw

Re:

Postby Idealist on Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:35 am

A few of my friends were younger than 18 in freshers week, and as far as the union goes, it is possible to get away with it. Just buy yourself a soft drink and get your mates to get ur drinks. when you get ur drink, pour it into the soft drinks glass as they are different.

But its probably easier to avoid the union. The gin house and the vic have been known on the odd night to practically id everyone that enters, but apart from that its usually fine, unless you look exeptionally young!

[hr]

"...I'm in love with someone I haven't even met yet..."
[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
Idealist

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:12 pm

They also ID in Bottoms Up. Stupid cow who runs it in there wanted ID from all of us who were in the offie even tho i was the only one buying booze and cos 1 of my mates was 17 she said she would'nt serve us. Silly bitch lost herself some potential customers. I've finished ranting now
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:59 pm

my son was banned for 6 months from the union for buying while underage. stupid boy - he was with 7 overage people.

seriously not worth it, especially if you're less than six months away from being 18. they banned a guy a fortnight away from his 18th last year.

and the union have to be harsh with it to protect their late license, so just leave it until you're old enough.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:57 am

Quoting griggsy from 17:12, 8th Sep 2005
They also ID in Bottoms Up. Stupid cow who runs it in there wanted ID from all of us who were in the offie even tho i was the only one buying booze and cos 1 of my mates was 17 she said she would'nt serve us. Silly bitch lost herself some potential customers. I've finished ranting now

That's the law! You can't serve someone who may be buying alcohol for the benefit of someone under the age of 18 - regardless of whether the purchaser is over the legal age or not. Same in pubs... the number of people I refused to serve over the summer back home 'cos they were over 18 but they had a posse of 17 year olds with them.

The woman in Bottoms Up may have missed out on some custom, but I'm sure she'd prefer that to a £3,000 fine and a spell in court - which is the penalty for serving someone underage, directly or indirectly.
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:23 am

You do know that the fine officers of Fife Constabulary are known to trawl these threads ont he lookout for miscreants? Officers have been informed, and a paddywagon is on it's way to arrest all you lawbreaking ne'er-do-wells

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Boris on Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:14 am

So let me get this straight you can go into the union under 18 but you cannot purchase or consume an alcoholic beverage?

To be safe just nurse a soft drink eh?
Boris

Re:

Postby Sided Pizza on Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:26 am

Quoting Boris from 20:12, 8th Sep 2005
So let me get this straight you can go into the union under 18 but you cannot purchase or consume an alcoholic beverage?

To be safe just nurse a soft drink eh?

Or to be even safer, avoid the union like the plague, there are plenty of good pubs.
Sided Pizza

Re:

Postby paw paw on Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:28 pm

Yes go to the union, just watch what your doing and you'll be fine. Dont avoid the union just dont get caught.
paw paw

Re:

Postby someone on Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:41 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 11:57, 9th Sep 2005
Quoting griggsy from 17:12, 8th Sep 2005

That's the law! You can't serve someone who may be buying alcohol for the benefit of someone under the age of 18 - regardless of whether the purchaser is over the legal age or not. Same in pubs... the number of people I refused to serve over the summer back home 'cos they were over 18 but they had a posse of 17 year olds with them.

What I don't understand about that is that you can't necessarily know that it's for the benefit of underage people (I suppose sometimes it might be obvious but more often than not you are taking an educated guess at people's ages and motives)
As far as I am aware it isn't actually illegal for under 18s to drink alcohol.
Some under 18s are able to drink quite sensibly so why shouldn't their 18 year old friend be allowed to buy them a bottle of wine/or whatever which they are perfectly entitled to share in the privacy of their own home?

and from my experience if someone aged 14 or something went into a wine shop with their middle aged mother then the mother would be served. What if it wass clear the mother was going to give some alcohol to the 14 year old? Surely it is legal for a mother to give her 14 year old daughter a glass of wine.

(I am not attacking you or anything - just the rules don't make complete sense to me, I know it's supposed to stop binge drinking etc but it just strikes me as being a bit discrimnatory)
someone

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:06 pm

If my memory serves the law goes as follows:

18 to purchase and consume alcohol on your own,
16 to consume beer, cider or wine if accompanied by a meal,
12 to consume beer, cider or wine with your legal guardians and with a meal.

In my experience, if in the presence of your legal guardians, consumption laws are usually ignored.

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
DrAlex

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:53 pm

If you are within the confines of your own home it is something ridiculous like 5 years old to consume alcohol with your legal gaurdians...

[hr]

Many Bothans died to bring you this information...
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!