Home

TheSinner.net

Under 18s

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:21 pm

I have to agree with the above posts. You can go to the union, but just drink soft drinks. Sometimes when they let underagers into the union, they pick some at random and alert security inside, and they will watch you to make sure you dont drink.

When I was 17 in first year, my roommate and I were caught drinking after being reeeeally cocky at the door. We were made an example of in front of EVERYBODY. It really was one of the most embarrassing experiences of my life, when you see all the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years having a good giggle at your expense.

It sucks to be 17, but you dont have to get pissed in the union. In other pubs you run the risk of getting chucked off the premises. I guess a few novel ideas/cheeky vodkas before i night out may have to be employed.
Setsuna

Re:

Postby Idealist on Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:31 pm

I know I gave the advice about the union earlier, but as far as getting sold in a shop, forget it.

I have worked in a licenced shop for the past three years and I wouldn't sell anyone under 18, or anyone who was buying for under 18's. Know why? Instant dismissal, criminal record and £2000 on the spot fine. Sorry but as much as I love ya, your desire to destroy your young, fresh, underage liver just aint worth it.

[hr]

"...I'm in love with someone I haven't even met yet..."
[s]"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"[/s]
Idealist

Re:

Postby Christie on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:54 pm

hey. ok so maybe you guys are right about steering clear of the union if your under 18 but what do we do in freshers week..ALL the events that i have heard about are taking place in the union!! so if we cant go into the union underage then we're gona have one shit freshers week!! :(
Christie

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:01 pm

In addition to the Union events, your halls will plan loads of things. These are, arguably, more important as a fresher because you'll meet the people you'll be living with. Fear not, your Fresher's week will be one to remember. And if not, there's always next year's pre-sesh week to get rat-arsed...

See you on the 17th. CHEERS!

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby lts2 on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:49 am

you CAN go into the union if you are underage, you just can't drink, so my advice, drink before you go out and if you do decide to drink in the union then be wary of the secuirty guys watching you. It's going to be mobbed in there in the first few weeks anyway.
lts2

Re:

Postby womble chris on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:14 pm

sod it. if your under 18, just go into the union and get twatted. thats what id recommend. if you get chucked out, keep doing it until they ban you for 6 months.

then go into student suppport with bandages around your wrist saying that being banned from the union has made your life hell.

or alternatively just dont go to the union. only time i ever go there is at midnight as last year it was the only place still open, and they usually refused me and others for being too drunk. i hope the bouncers are different this year. some of them were right twats. although it is quite fun when your hammered to rant at them about why they arent letting you and others in. you always know they will never let you in but its qute fun just to know your irratating them (if there nice bouncers i dont, but some of them are such benders)
womble chris

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:11 pm

Back in my day, the Vic did pretty strict ID checks. I was refused entry when I was 17, but that was a long time ago... well, five years, anyway. Judging from the usual appearances of the friendly brick-shithouse impersonators outside this establishment, I presume this practice is still going on... isn't it?

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:50 am

buy vodka and tonic with no ice, itll look exactly (and in most pubs, taste exactly) like a glass of water, its also relatively cheap, and due to the liquid content and the flavour is also exceptionally, almost dangerously, easy to drink, and like me this evening you can get utterly bladdered while never really tastign much aside from the pizza you made when you got home :::DDDD

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tubular100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Cerimonies
[hr]
[s]http://www.macintyre42.plus.com[/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby lts2 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:03 am

Don't worry about it too much, I was in St Andrews for 2 years before I turned 18, and I didn't have much trouble
lts2

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:19 pm

Warning: That place that replaced Lafferty's asks for ID every time, in my experience.

The Union check matric cards on the way in, but the bar staff never ask to see them.

[hr]
Malcolm

Re:

Postby amore vincit omnia on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:29 pm

Quoting Malcolm from 18:19, 21st Apr 2006
Warning: That place that replaced Lafferty's asks for ID every time, in my experience.
[hr]

You mean the Criterion, Malcolm? Hmm, I've only been in there once, but I wasn't ID'd, and neither were any of the friends I was with.
Generally though, in my experience you do get ID'd a lot in St Andrews - I don't think I've ever been in the Raisin, Gin House or Vic without being ID'd before I'd even got through the door. I was really glad that I'd had my 18th birthday just before I arrived in St Andrews! Having said that, most of the 17 year olds I knew managed to get around their age somehow, and they all had a great time anyway!
Whatever happens, don't worry too much and just enjoy your time here :)

[hr]

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
amore vincit omnia

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:55 pm

You should be ok. And ignore that thing about the union. The union is a private club so any student can go in regardless of age. You just are not supposed to drink. Once you get in though this does not really matter the people in the bar just assume you are old enough

Re:

Postby beanie_anne on Mon May 01, 2006 6:41 am

Not entirely true. I have been told that the doormen (very respectable people, by the way) have been known to tell bar staff of underage customers. Which is fair enough - do people really want their drinks' prices to go higher so they can pay for younger students to get kicked out and the Union to get fined. Didn't think so, and I don't think younger students want that either. I've recently started working there so I'm still not sure of the policy, but for the sake of a maximum of one month's non-drinking, or the possibility of getting caught and receiving a 6 month ban or a ban till your birthday - whichever is longer, just isn't worth it. Even if the Union is well-subsidised - just check out the price of a drink in Aikman's (even though I love it and people should definately go there) - its still not worth it to underage drink a la union. Please listen to me. Just don't drink. Everyone's friendly enough here as it is! There's no need to drink! Then after October you can experience your own drunken Bop with friends!
P.S. sorry if this reply is out of date but it was the first that came up on the board this morning.

[hr]

"Enough is Enough...I've had it with these snakes"

Edited for VERY bad spelling.
"Enough is Enough...I've had it with these snakes"
beanie_anne

Re:

Postby Scully on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:06 am

If they find you drinking in the union and your under 18 they WILL ban you. And more than likely they will find out- I know people who have been banned .
Scully

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:14 pm

Anal rules... for you at least. For me it wasn't an issue. Kind of makes you feel good for being English (at least as far as education system goes).

Underage drinking morally wrong according to morals I don't agree with. Nevertheless don't get banned coz its not worth it. Just get doubly wasted for every day you couldn't drink on your 18th!!!

[hr]

I didn't download it guvner. It fell off the back of the Internet!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:25 am

I came here at the age of 17 and was not 18 until 5 months later and in that time i only got refused from entering the pub ONCE for not having id! The vic used to id quite a lot but if you just have some excuse they are normally ok about it especially if you are with a group of older people.

I was soooo worried when i first came that not being 18 was going to be a big deal but it was no such thing at all!

In saying that i was always particularly careful at the union as i have heard of a lot of people getting banned. So if at the door during the week they told me not to drink, i didnt, as its not too busy and i think thats when they are more likely to ban people. At the weekend i always drank at the union and it was fine.

Re:

Postby laguna on Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:59 pm

Hey about the Union, its fine to go in underage, i had to wait till January before i was 18 and only really got turned away from the vic one night!
In the union just dont act too drunk, i.e run and slip coliding into chairs cus that can get u banned!!(6 months for that one lol) But even if u do get banned u can still go! They never said ," oh btw dude ur banned get out" they dont have a list!
laguna

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:22 am

On bannation; Is the ban all-encompassing, or are you still allowed access in order to attend societies meetings?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Midget on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:40 am

The ban is really a bar ban as most of the Union you are always entitled to access to eg SSS, the SABs, Venue 1 as a theatre venue, ditto Venue 2, Travel Service, Office, Chris Lusk, The Dave Roberts Replacement etc.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg "Little!"
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100090
Midget

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:22 am

Banned students are not allowed access to any of the services provided by the Union as they are banned from the building and not just the bars. They should still be allowed access to the building to see people on representational matters but only for the duration of the meeting. That does not include societies meetings, use of the Travel Service, theatrical performances, or anything else. A ban is a ban.
Al

Previous

Return to New Students! First Years!