Home

TheSinner.net

Can't choose 3rd subject

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Can't choose 3rd subject

Postby Luke on Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:21 pm

I am studying English and Russian, but I literally have no idea what to do for my third subject. Which modern language is the easiest, takes up the least class time, or all of the above? International relations? What is it like? I also considered Ancient History. Any advice from older students?
Luke

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:27 pm

May I recommend philosophy? I was at a loss to find a third subject in second term, so I did what I always do in quandries. I asked myself: what will effect my daily life least, and what will have the hottest girls?

Logic and Intro to Religion. I was not disappointed.

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Marie55 on Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:47 am

Social Anthropology is quite good as a 3rd subject. It's interesting and not too time consuming. There's a fair bit of reading for tutorials but I suppose it wouldn't seem so much to an English student.
I have to recommend my subject, Psychology. Not easy, but a fascinating subject with a multiple choice exam in 1st year. Anywayz, good luck in your choice.
Marie55

Re:

Postby Bob on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:53 pm

I study German and Russian and think that they go great together German's pretty simple once you get the hang of it, very phonetical. Though it totally depends if you've studied it before.
Bob

Re:

Postby wankymuff on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:27 pm

I did linguistics in first semester of first year because I wanted to drop one of my modules....I missed the first 2 weeks, missed half the lectures there after and still passed with a 9.6 so it's not too hard. It could also help with your Russian... good luck making your decision! :-)
wankymuff

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:53 pm

I'm five and my dad's Bruce Lee.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:03 pm

I did IR as my second subject, it's now gona be my honours. You can get away without doing any of the reading in first year and compared to Soc Anth it's probably more interesting, but thats just my humble opinion

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby kt on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:48 am

Scottish history in first year's quite good fun as a third subject and teh lectures are suprisingly interesting.
Social anthropology is another good choice but i didn't find it quite as interesting, although maybe a bit easier.
kt

Re:

Postby h on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:48 am

maths IT - there's no exam!
h

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:46 pm

Don't do philosophy - it's horrendous! And you have to do two 10 credit modules, which is more work than 1 20 credit module - which isnt important but philosophy is awful
Anthropology is good :) and modern history is of course amazing!

Re:

Postby toffee on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:46 pm

in first year i choose Ancient History as my third subject, and am now doing it for my degree! i enjoyed the course and there is not that much work compared to some other subjects.

hope that helps

x
toffee

Re:

Postby Garnet on Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:53 pm

I wouldn't advise IR if you are just filling up a space. Although overall I am interested in the subjects the lectures can be a drag, plus they are at 10am!

I love Mediaeval History. I had never studied it before and I find the lectures extremely interesting and I feel annoyed and disapointed if I miss one.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106569

Man makes a beast of himself to get rid of the pain of being a man
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby beanie_anne on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:46 pm

Don't choose maths IT if you haven't worked with computer programs. But IT1001 is apparently very easy as is the Physical Universe if you can write an essay and the space is in second semester.

[hr]

"Enough is Enough...I've had it with these snakes"
"Enough is Enough...I've had it with these snakes"
beanie_anne

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:26 pm

I'd recommend Mediaeval History or, ideally, Social Anthropology as a third subject. I chose the latter in first year and the former in second year because Soc Anth clashed with my other subjects, but I was getting (my only) firsts in that subject having never even heard of it before! It's a hoot and really interesting.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Thalia on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:36 pm

You don't have to write an essay in the physical universe (unless it's changed of course). I did AS1002 and it was amazingly easy since i'd already done higher physics. The two tests we did were worth 50% of the grade and weren't all that difficult.

I would recommend Soc Anth as well though, even if you don't understand much about it you can still waffle about it as long as you're good at essay writing :-)

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Don on Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:38 pm

There is also IS1001 which is a very simple I.T course, learn how to use Word, Excel and how to build a very simple webpage. Not much work in it at all really, plus looks good on a CV as you can say you have had soem I.T training.

[hr]

Daz, makes your whites #gggggg
Don

Re:

Postby Boris on Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:08 pm

I recommend film studies... biggest pile of pish ever invented.. and everyone can pass.
Boris

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:11 pm

I'd recommend going for something you enjoy. It may be one of the few chances to be taught something you like by people who are not only knowledgable, but interesting in the subject too.

If you're looking for an easy module, I can second AS1002(?) The Physical Universe as being both interesting (well, I would say that as an astrophysicist) and easy (it's aimed at arts students, so is essay based and the essays aren't hard). IS1001 is also easy, but from what I've heard is less fun.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby just_looking on Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:41 pm

You should try psychology its quite good. If you do please get in touch I have a copy of the core text book for sale.
just_looking

Re:

Postby tintin on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:07 pm

Go for Linguistics - I guarantee you won't be disappointed. It's a fascinating subject and as you are doing languages already it will already have some relevance. What makes it interesting is that it goes beyond just language and considers the wider picture of how pretty much any other academic discipline relates to language (although you'd probably not get to explore these things in depth until the more advanced modules, you will get a flavour of it). If you are considering it, try and get your hands on "The Language Instinct" by Stephen Pinker. If you find you enjoy that book, then I'd definitely go for Linguistics as a thrid subject.

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mat_salleh
tintin

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!