Home

TheSinner.net

St Andrews Life

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

St Andrews Life

Postby party girl on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:53 pm

I came to see the uni the other week and it seems like a really nice place but quite small, so im really undecided as whether to go there next year! The course and everything looks great but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what night life would be like - i'm from sheffield so theres loads here - i like to go to gigs n clubs sometimes particularly indie nights are there similar things up there?
party girl

Re:

Postby lizzie_liz on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:52 am

st andrews doesn't have any clubs...the closest thing to clubs here is the friday night bop in the union
however there are buses to fat sams and london (clubs in dundee)
there are more bars to students than any where else in the country
the vic has hip hop night on a thursday
lizzie_liz

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:27 pm

As lizzie said, there are no clubs, but Dundee's not so far off. There are pubs and bars for most tastes, I think, from the good old traditional quite pint type place to the cheap "get as many down you as you can" type places, as well as some nice establishments in between.

There're also a couple of reasonable (though quite pricey) tea/coffee places open until about 11-ish.

[hr]

"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
The Yettoner

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm

There isn't much in the way of any of the things you say you like doing (gigs, clubs etc) certainly not compared to sheffield, but that doesn't mean there aren't any accessible places. As people have said above there are clubs in Dundee (and Edinburgh if you want to venture further afield) and plenty of gigs in Glasgow (2 hours by train). It won't be what you are used to, but then again uni isn't what you are used to! Despite what people say there is no shortage of things to do and there are plenty of house parties/balls/events.

Where else are you considering going? Obviously if you think you can't miss out on having gigs and clubs on your doorstep and you have a choice between going to St. Andrews and, for example, Glasgow, then Glasgow is probably a better option.
Lyeta

Re:

Postby Telinar on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:44 pm

St Andrews has a multitude of AWESOME pubs, some with live music, Aikmans and Golf Place for instance. Plus the Union usually has various events on during termtime.

[hr]

http://telinar-beln.deviantart.com or http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105240
Telinar

Re:

Postby party girl on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting Lyeta from 16:25, 5th Apr 2006
Where else are you considering going? Obviously if you think you can't miss out on having gigs and clubs on your doorstep and you have a choice between going to St. Andrews and, for example, Glasgow, then Glasgow is probably a better option.

erm well everywhere else rejected me!!! ouchy! i'm doing english lit n i only got in sheffield n st andrews i was rejected from durham, bristol, edinbrugh and warwick and i dont particularly want to stay at home! but like you said unis sposed to be a new experience so im really looking forward to it! i've chosen st andrews over sheffield in the end! thanks for all your help
party girl

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:26 pm

good choice

Re:

Postby laura on Tue May 02, 2006 11:02 pm

I feel obligated to mention that St Andrews was by far my first choice and I'm overjoyed to be attending next fall!
laura

Re:

Postby Foxy Moron on Sat May 06, 2006 12:49 am

The nightlife here is surprisingly good, for such a small town. Being from Newcastle, I always thought nowhere could ever compare, but to be honest, some of the best nights out I ever had were here in our little town!

[hr]

Eating chocolate makes your clothes shrink.
Foxy Moron

Re:

Postby She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named on Sun May 07, 2006 11:47 am

Yup, we don't have fancy do-da nightclubs and crazy late licensing so we have to make our own fun...which usually involves alot of fire, sand and large chunks of rent deposits lost...

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101702
She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

Return to New Students! First Years!