Home

TheSinner.net

what to combine with english lit

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

what to combine with english lit

Postby undecided on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:50 am

I'm hopefully going to be studying English Lit next year i was thinking of combining it with Linguistics and Management - i know that sounds like an odd combo but do you think it would work. what's management like, is it a heavy subject? i haven't done business studies but i was involved in young enterprise and have done maths at A-level will that help?
undecided

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:22 am

I've got friends that do Management, the second semester module really looks like Hell on Earth. There looks like some hellish accounting involved, lots of work, and generally confusing concepts, according to them anyway.

I was going to do Management myself, but it just looked like too much work. I did first semester Economics instead, but it was nails - I passed the exam through some miracle, and promptly dropped the second module for it (which I might go back and do in Second year, thinking about it now).

Anyway, hope I've helped.

[hr]

"I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze."
Malcolm

Re:

Postby classydriver on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:16 pm

I did Management 1st and 2nd year. What you'll find is that 1st semester is generally "arty" whereas 2nd semester is generally more maths/economics - it's basic financial management. I'm a maths student now so I did like the 2nd semester stuff but I'd add that I did enjoy the 1st semester stuff more.

You do get a lot of tutor support both first and second semester so if you do struggle people are there to help you.
classydriver

Re:

Postby undecided on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:01 pm

Quoting classydriver from 17:16, 4th Apr 2006
I did Management 1st and 2nd year. What you'll find is that 1st semester is generally "arty" whereas 2nd semester is generally more maths/economics - it's basic financial management. I'm a maths student now so I did like the 2nd semester stuff but I'd add that I did enjoy the 1st semester stuff more.

You do get a lot of tutor support both first and second semester so if you do struggle people are there to help you.

thanks alot! when you say maths/economics are you talking like stats or more calculus?
undecided

Re:

Postby Sid on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:09 pm

If I was you I'd combine it with Art History and Social Anthropology, that way you can spend all your time in the pub or whatever and still pass.
Sid

Re:

Postby classydriver on Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:23 pm

2nd semester consists of Business Statistics (which is basic school level stats), Financial Accounting (which is more about method than numbers...you just got to make sure your numbers balance!) and an Integrative Project. The project is that you are given a company to investigate and you have to use the methods you've learned over all of 1st year to analyse the company you were given. We got Marks&Spenser. It's pretty interesting and you are actually using what you've learned (unlike some subjects where you are taught something and then all you hvae to do is forget it!)
classydriver

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:03 pm

One of my friends does Linguistics at Honours level, but as far as I'm aware there isn't actually a Linguistics department, per se, in St Andrews. Which could cause some potential problems perhaps, especially if you're just looking to fill up your credits list. I did English with Modern History and Soc Anth as my third subject. Worked well, Modern History lectures follow straight after English which means you don't have to wander back to the Buchanan Building again the same day. Soc Anth was held in the same place, but not til 3pm, which meant a nice break over lunch to watch Neighbours.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby classydriver on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:21 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 15:03, 6th Apr 2006
One of my friends does Linguistics at Honours level, but as far as I'm aware there isn't actually a Linguistics department, [hr]

You can still do Linguistics as part of your degree. A friend of mine did a major-minor in Arabic/Lingustics...so doing Lingustics to honours is possible
classydriver

Re:

Postby Fionnlagh on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:39 pm

thanks alot! when you say maths/economics are you talking like stats or more calculus?

Definitely very little calculus. I too am a science student (physics) who did management in 1st and 2nd year. I vividly remember the fact that our 2nd year class was not expected to know the derivitive of x^2 is 2x.

I really enjoyed management in 1st year, but much less so in 2nd year. It's probably a decent shout

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37102526&l=9f7bca06b0
Fionnlagh

Re:

Postby undecided on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:43 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 15:03, 6th Apr 2006
One of my friends does Linguistics at Honours level, but as far as I'm aware there isn't actually a Linguistics department, per se, in St Andrews. [hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440

sorry really confused- i've been accepted to do English Literature. but i thought in the first 2 years u did 2 other subjects with it (any which are in the faculty of arts)does that not mean i can do Linguistics and Management just for the first 2 years?
undecided

Re:

Postby classydriver on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:39 pm

Yeah you can do both. (You could do your 3rd subject outside of the faculty though. You are allowed to do 40credits(2modules) in a different faculty.)
classydriver

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:36 pm

My main degree is English (you needn't specify Lit - there is only one English in first year) with Linguistics. To clarify a few points -

There isn't a specific School of Linguistics, the course is run by ELT (English Language Teaching) which is usually employed teaching chinese kids the rules of rugby.

It would make sense to choose at least two subjects that correlate - English and Linguistics being a good example, and then adding a third subject that you're either very interested in or very good at, but perhaps not what you might term a 'good degree course'. Managment seems a strange choice - if you want employers to be impressed with your managment training why not just do a Managment degree?

Essentially what I'm saying is choose something that you'll love rather than something your mum/uncle/future boss will love.

Hope that made sense...

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Return to New Students! First Years!