Home

TheSinner.net

ball attire

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

ball attire

Postby Alexandra on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:24 am

I have been reading alot about balls...there seems to be dozens...however i am not quite sure if by "ball" you mean an actual ball with tuxedos and ballgowns, or if you mean a formal dance with nice dresses. I am coming from overseas and I dont know whether to pack my ball gowns, my long formal gowns, or short nice dresses. I know it sounds trivial, but ball gowns take up a lot of packing space...actually they take up suitcases worth of space. anyhow I would very much appreciate some insight.
Alexandra

Re:

Postby physicist on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:30 pm

For balls, most people here would wear dinner jackets or ball gowns.
physicist

Re:

Postby The Penguin Of Death! on Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:51 pm

This year I found there were at least 2 occasions where a full ball gown was needed (when I say needed I don't mean compulsory, just similar to what everyone else was wearing!) however maybe a couple of the long formal dresses and short nice dresses would be useful too, there really are sooo many events which need formal dress here!
The Penguin Of Death!

Re:

Postby Scully on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:10 pm

Guys usually wear black tie for most balls. You can usually judge what sort of dress is required by who is hosting the ball- whether its a hall ball/society ball (little less formal) or May Ball, KK Ball etc (little more formal). But there is no set dress- People wear alsorts. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.
Scully

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:11 pm

i was actually shocked at the length of some of the dresses at the may ball this year - i was expecting full length and fabulous. but alot of girls were wearing dressed above the knee. i was horrified.

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:59 pm

Short dresses at the May Ball are more to do with the tactics of not getting dirty and using overcrowded toilets rather than look.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Sophia on Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:44 am

I am in the same boat, well not that I have an abundance of fancy ball gowns lying around, but I need to know what kind of dresses they mean for us to bring.
Sophia

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:20 pm

Yeah, i'm so glad my dress didn't trail on the ground at the may ball - it would have been filthy afterwards.

And i don't think that a proper ball gown is really essential - a nice dress will get you through most balls anyway :-)

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:31 am

I'm now starting to get worried. I'm going to St Andrews this year but i only own one ball gown which i wore to my prom and i don't really own anything else that is useful for balls and the like. Do most people who go to St Andrews have and abundance of clothes?

Re:

Postby balls on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:31 am

According to ettiquette, the correct attire for formal events with dinner served are full-length gowns. on the other hand, for balls which do not serve dinner, and involve dancing, etc. (which means the majority of balls in St Andrews), the slightly less formal cocktail dress (above the knee) is appropriate.
my suggestion is to bring along a couple of simple dresses which can be jazzed up with jewellery to create different looks. there really is no need for the really extravagent gowns.
balls

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:18 pm

I only have two dresses - one a ball dress type thing and the other just a plain green dress - and in my first year i only had the one dress. So no, not everyone has an abundance of fancy clothes, and, anyway, in my first year i only ever went to one ball, it's not like they force you to go to these things. Nor are you really going to lose out by not going.

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby eagle on Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:06 am

There are also plenty of charity shops which will provide for you should you get stuck. With the abundance of posh frocks in St Andrews throughout the year, by May the charity shops have loads of posh frock stock.
eagle

Re:

Postby K on Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:36 am

I've done 2 years here, haven't been to loads of balls, just a few. My advice, if packing is an issue, would be to leave out the ball gowns - they're not essential. In fact, as far as I could see, long dresses arw more commonly worn. Of course, if you want to wear a ball gown (like me, as I own one) go ahead. I think that if you own cocktail dresses, there are occasions that suit those too, so pack one (I say one, this is because I am poor :) so only own two dresses in total). For the May Ball, I think a really nice just-below-the-knee dress would be ideal as a compromise between formal and getting wrecked in the mud, but of course adapt as you wish. None of the things I went to had really specific hard-and-fast rules.

For the worried person, here as everywhere there are people who think outfits - and lots of them - are really important, but there are also many who don't care much, so you can take your pick. I have minimum clothes and I've been just fine. If you don't have money (or inclination to shop), I don't think your friends will mind you wearing the same dress to several balls! And many people go to only one or two a year, or none at all. Just depends what you want.
K

Re:

Postby Nymphomanic on Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:52 pm

Three simple classy dresses - any length are key. Then accesorize - a lot.

[hr]

I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
Nymphomanic

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:54 pm

So do guys need tuxedos? Do most guys wear tuxedos or suits?

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:29 am

Guys usually wear DINNER JACKETS (which is English for tuxedo), usually with a bow tie. A 'Dinner Jacket' actually means the whole suit, so don't forget trousers too.

Alternatively those of Scottish origin or who like to pretend they're Scottish wear kilts in a variety of styles, from extremely formal suit-like outfits to a very simple white (Ghillie) shirt.

However, if you don't own either of the above, it's entirely acceptable to wear an ordinary business suit and tie. Jeans, however, are never appropriate at a ball.

Hope that helps.

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204763785
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:19 pm

Just how much are the balls?? Are they expensive?

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:15 pm

Some are cheap, say around £15-£20, right up to £85 for a VIP ticket to the May Ball. You do have to take into account how much is included in the price, eg transport, drinks, food, ents etc. Tickets to Hall balls are usually free to residents (paid for out of your hall subs) and quite cheap to everyone else.

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204763785
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Return to New Students! First Years!