Home

TheSinner.net

McIntosh- tell away

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Re:

Postby Jaspar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:43 pm

I'm in B15a (just got my letter today).
Jaspar

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:43 pm

I have just found out that I too will be in this hall. And I am very excited. I am on Floor D. Any info on that floor would be great. Thanks!

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:43 pm

i have just recieved my room assignment and I am excited that i am in thi s hall also. I am on D floor. Any ommments on D floor would be helpful! Thanks.

Re:

Postby lts2 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:37 pm

D floor is the ground floor. There are not many rooms on that floor in comparison to the other floors as also on D floor is the common room and the wardens' flats. The rooms on D floor are typically quite large with nice high ceilings. However if you have a room next to the common room then it can get a bit noisy. If you say what room you have specifically then I'm sure someone will know what it is like.

Hope this helps

Leila
lts2

Chattan Floors

Postby lts2 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:40 pm

A floor is the top floor
B floor is next down (with the chocolate machine!)
C floor is next down (with the Green room [study room])
D floor is the groud floor (with the common room and TV rooms)
E floor is the basement (with the dining room and laundry and various other random things)
lts2

Re:

Postby lts2 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:42 pm

Hurtful but true. :P

Quoting Jono from 14:13, 12th Jul 2006
Quoting pea from 14:47, 10th Jul 2006
Yeah, you guys will want to avoid Jon.

[hr]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...

What a hurtful thing to say!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
lts2

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:49 pm

Sheet! a lot of people have found the sinner this year!

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Telinar on Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:14 pm

B21 for all you n00bs, my door is usually open for those wanting to chat, or blow shit up on my computer or for whatever. It isn't so much a room as a cupboard with a bed in it but hey, it's all mine. See all you new guys and gals in September, it can't come soon enough, I'm sick of making roof tiles.......

[hr]

http://telinar-beln.deviantart.com or http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105240
Telinar

Re:

Postby boris on Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:25 am

Hmmm.... I had E3 for this year (Seans old room) but then changed my mind about staying in hall, and have got a flat. The one room in all honesty that u dont want is my old room, A14 as i see someone has posted already. It was all guys last year, this year all girls... which for the girls i think will be a disadvantage.

Is it to bring more guys into the hall does anyone know? or is it just because A floor doesnt have a warden... ??

Anyway A14 is like the smallest double room in hall... and due to major pranks... stunk by the end of last year! was disgusting and apologise in advance for the damage caused to the room.

Anyway hope u like A-Floor Home of well cooked pancakes and camp-outs on the floor in the corridor :)
boris

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:35 am

Its coz there are more guys than girls.

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Thank you

Postby Sarah on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:02 pm

Thanks Leila and someone for the information on my new home, can't wait to move in, now all I need to find is my roomate...they must be out there somewhere.
Sarah

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:02 pm

Agreed! I'm sick of pulling pints! I want to get back to drinking them!

Re:

Postby mishy on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:02 pm

well hopefully the smell in A14 is gone--it will have been a few months! how small is it?
mishy

Re:

Postby pea on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:30 pm

The reason they're changing around the floors is because they want to even out the numbers of girls and guys between Chattan and Melville. Melville currently has more guys than girls, while Chattan is the opposite. So they're making A floor girls as it has less rooms than B floor, in the hope it will balance it out.

To expand on Leila's explanation of the floors, previously the floor planning has been the following:
A - top - boys
B - 2nd - girls
C - 3rd - girls
D - ground - girls
E - basement - mainly boys but with some girls rooms

From Sept it will be:
A - top - girls
B - 2nd - boys
C - 3rd - girls
D - ground - girls
E - basement - boys (I'm not sure if there will be girls on E floor next year).

[hr]

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

pea

Re:

Postby Admin on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:38 am

Unregistered users - please note that we won't post details of your prospective room numbers as we have no way to tell that you are actually who you say you are, and not someone just messing around or trying to find information that they shouldn't be privy to. Ta.
Admin

Re:

Postby Bumble bee on Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:33 am

Hello
Just a few questions.
What is it like sharing with people you don't know?
Is the c floor mainly for freshers or is it a mix?
Any advice on what i should take with me that is useful.
Cheers
Bumble bee

Re:

Postby Magus on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:27 pm

Quoting pea from 20:30, 13th Jul 2006
From Sept it will be:
A - top - girls
B - 2nd - boys
C - 3rd - girls
D - ground - girls
E - basement - boys (I'm not sure if there will be girls on E floor next year).

This is how it always used to be. A & B floors only swapped for a few years. A-floor is far nicer than B-floor - not so dark...

[hr]

When I would pray and think, I think and pray to several subjects.
When I would pray and think, I think and pray to several subjects.
Magus

Re:

Postby pea on Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:42 pm

Indeed, I'm looking forward to having a view that doesn't involve the annex!

Bumble Bee - most people get on fine with their roommates, and if you really don't get on with them, there is a chance to move rooms. You get to know everyone really quickly, but your roommate especially. Loads of people are still great friends with their roommates.

C floor - and in fact all floors - is a mix of all years. There are many more shared rooms in hall than single rooms, so there will be plenty of first years to meet, but there will also be lots of returning students around as well.

As for things to bring, it's really up to yourself. It might be good to bring a pot and some cooking utensils, as well as your crockery and cutlery, so you don't have to worry about the kitchen ones (they have a habit of going missing/not getting washed). Everything else is pretty obvious I think!

Hope that's helped :D

Rhona

[hr]

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

pea

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:31 pm

Hey guys,

I feel that E-floor is being underrepresented here. Although the view sucks... well there isn't one really... it is a good floor with a load of cool people (well, last year at least).

Noobies, all you need to know is where the common room is. Walk through it at any time of day (or night) and you are almost guaranteed to find someone there to talk to.
Pea was right when she said it doesn't feel like there are the 240 people who live there. For some reason, although you can't walk from your room to the front door without seeing someone, it is never crowded or bustling. But if you stick around during Reading Week, when everyone else goes home, you WILL notice the abscence of people, it's kind of weird.
On the McIntosh Board someone said that we are the most sociable of all halls and I think that is so true. There aren't many halls (IMO) where you will find such large groups of people, from all different courses and years hanging out together. In my first year it seemed really cliquey, and there was still an element of that last year but definitely less. And there was more interaction between groups.

As long as you're not expected 5-star luxury... (or 4 -star for that matter :P) You'll love it.
Basic rules are:
1. Meet your neighbours ASAP, they will probably end up being who you hang out with most.
2. Try to be considerate to your room mate. If you piss them off you're guaranteed to regret it. Remember you have to live with each other for a year!
3. Don't think about what you're eating. Just put it in your mouth and it'll be gone soon enough. You'll learn pretty quickly which meals to get down early for and which to avoid completely.
4. If you're ever bored just go to the common room. There will be someone there to chat to, even til 3am (or beyond).
5. Join Facebook!! It is the ultimate networking tool. (and so much better than myspace) Whenever you get your Uni email address head over the www.facebook.com and join up.

Well that's enough of that. Hope that's vaguely helpful to you. Any other questions or comments just post here or even email me.

I shall (hopefully) see you around in a couple of months. Drop by E8.

[hr]

"I'll stare straight into the sun and I won't close my eyes"
Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby Matt on Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:36 pm

Hi. First question - I'll be starting first year in sept, should i already have an email address with the uni and if so where would i find it? (in all the paperwork i have been sent...) I have been put in room B8A - anyone know what it's like? small/big etc. And im sure my room-sharer is out there somewhere...
Matt

PreviousNext

Return to New Students! First Years!