Home

TheSinner.net

David Russell Appartments and Surfing

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

David Russell Appartments and Surfing

Postby Ross on Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:19 pm

Hey I'm starting here in September and was wondering what the David Russell appartments are like? Also does anyone know what the waves in St Andrews are like for surfing?

Cheers
Ross

Re:

Postby laguna on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:06 am

Hey,
Im going to the DRA flats next year, they are pretty nice, double bed ensuite sorta thing! You could certainly do worse! As for the waves it really does depend, sometimes they can be quite big but also kinda crap! Its not wave central
laguna

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:00 am

I have no idea about DRA, and I also not a surfer myself, however on numerous occassions I have noticed surfers out on East Sands. Whether or not the surf is really any good I could not say, but there seems to be quite a few surfers around, so good luck in finding the waves!!
thebrookster

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:38 am

You want to surf in St Andrews? I come from California and the thought of surfing in such cold water brings shivers down my spine. When I was there in Spring it was freezing!

Quoting Ross from 14:08, 6th Jul 2006
Hey I'm starting here in September and was wondering what the David Russell appartments are like? Also does anyone know what the waves in St Andrews are like for surfing?

Cheers

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:38 am

*i heart Laguna*

Re:

Postby Ross on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:39 am

I'm in DRA this September too. Do either of you kitesurf?

When I was at St Andrews last year I don't remember the waves being too great...there appears to be quite a large kiting crowed there though...

-Ross (not the thread starter)
Ross

Re:

Postby Ross on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:39 am

I'm in DRA this September too. Do you kitesurf?

When I was at St Andrews last year I don't remember the waves being too great...although there appears to be quite a large kiting crowed there...

-Ross (not the thread starter)
Ross

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:02 pm

No idea about the surfing.

I'm going into my second year at DRA in September. It really is the most comfortable hall in the entire university, and the one that provides the most in terms of creature comforts. The Facilities building is a pretty great addition to it as well.

What I did find last year was that there was a bit of a tendency for people to cluster into their own apartments or buildings, rather than branch out. It personally did not affect me as I managed to slide into a cool group of friends, but I did notice it in some people.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby King Henry on Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:59 pm

oh man, sometimes i wish i was going back into DRA. I miss that place so much right now! My single bed back home sucks in comparison! not to mention my own bathroom. mehmsy, you're kinda right about the whole clique thing - i probably wouldn't have met you if it wasn't for the fact me and james went to school together.

Surfing? i've seen it done but British waters aren't really good for surfing in unless you're either on the south of England or the north-most of Scotland. i hear the north scottish waters are supposed to be some of the most extreme anywhere...i think anyway, correct me if i'm wrong.

There's a lot of windsurfing to be done though.

it's so long since i posted anything here...
King Henry

Return to New Students! First Years!