Home

TheSinner.net

Andrew Melville?? as bad as all that?

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Andrew Melville?? as bad as all that?

Postby Amy on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:43 pm

Hi, I've just recieved my accomodation and i'm in Meville hall, but all i've been hearing are bad things about its "prison cell look!" can you change your accomodation or can anyone shed any light on what meville is really like?? Thankyou!!
Amy

Re:

Postby Icarus on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:54 pm

I wouldn't get too worried. It doesn't matter which Hall you're put into, after living there for a few weeks you'll swear it's better than everywhere else. Anyway, Melville might look ghastly, and yes the Earth is trying to swallow it back up into the ground, but it apparently has excellent 'hall spirit.' Don't worry about it. Don't judge it until you're there.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102351
Icarus

Re:

Postby Sally on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:35 pm

I've had 2 great years in Melville (I'm moving into a house next year). Its one of the bigger catered halls, but it is still a friendly hall, especially during the first few weeks. As with any hall though, the atmosphere really depends on the people who are there that year - it changed considerably between first and second year.

Melville's architecture is pretty unique, but you'll learn to love it. I was in one of the random blocks, so the surroundings there were slighly different to the other blocks. It initially seemed a long walk from the centre of town, but its only 20 minutes or less and you get used to it, and if its nice clear weather there can be lovely views over the golf course, sea and mountains. And you can't forget the rabbits, there's loads of them on the North Haugh!

If you've got any questions about Melville you're welcome to email me (svy).

It is possible to change halls, but not until after at least a few weeks after the start of semester. Its probably not the best thing to arrive there looking forward to moving out!

Hope you enjoy being in Melville!
Sally

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:22 am

I was in Melville in first year and had a great time, despite being stuck on a corridor with a random mix of fourth years and foreign ELT students. Its Melville's neighbour that looks like a prison block (New Hall), with AMH itself looking more "awkward", but it at least has some architectural style. And for all those who say it's an ugly building, remember that when put into the context of the 60s when it was designed it was pretty darn impressive.

The rooms are small, but perfectly formed. Bathrooms are a bit ming, but otherwise the staff are friendly, food ain't too bad and the atmosphere is generally good. Walk to town is no more than 10-15 minutes unless you're a slow coach and comparable to the distance of New Hall and Uni Hall from the town, and much closer than Albania, DRH and Fife Park.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:50 pm

Cool, sounds good! I spoke to someone whose been there and they said it was an awesome place to spend your first year. Anyone else going to be in Meville next year???

Re:

Postby raheli on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:50 pm

The thing about Melville is that because of the size and layout, it's a good place for interacting with your hallmates. If you like them, that's great. If you don't, its awful, because you can never avoid anyone. It's not a pretty, comfortable, or convenient place to live. Did you ever see Das Boot? Think the scene where they are stuck on the bottom running out of oxygen. That was me half through second year. I moved out, and wished I'd done it right away.

[hr]

Intelligence is good. I'm not very intelligent myself, but I think it's a nice idea.
Intelligence is good. I'm not very intelligent myself, but I think it's a nice idea.
raheli

Re:

Postby eagle on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:25 am

However, for interesting people who want to meet others, it's a great place. Very well designed (despite initial appearances), and is consistently rated the best hall. (well, by that I mean that the residents are the most vociferous when it comes to "best hall" polls)
eagle

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:29 pm

A quick tip, if you're planning on taking your own utensils, crockery, cooking stuff etc. as most people do to facilitate cooking on weekend evenings, then consider taking a small padlock with you to lock your little kitchen locker. Most people ended up buying one in town, but if you can bring one and bag a locker as soon as you arrive and secure it, you'll be better off :-)

[hr]

box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Icecradle on Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:07 pm

I was in Melville last year and loved it.

The rooms are grouped into sections of four and if you get on with your neighbours, then you can really use that grouping to your advantage. I just left my door open during the first week to get to know people and it preety much got left open all year.

The Common rooms are used well, if someone is watching a dvd, then they won't mind you joining them.

The food was pretty bad for the first semester but improved tons for the second, so I hope for your sake it continues that way!

Like others have said, the walk quickly becomes nothing.
Icecradle

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:26 pm

I've only walked through Andrew Melville once, and it smelled like cabbages.

It does host a bunch of awesome people, however.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Adam on Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:06 pm

I just found out im in AMH for my first year! It looks surprisingly like my school i just left! lol! oh well! Im just hoping i get on well with everyone there, i think once i get to know everyone, ill never want to leave!! (fingers crossed!)
I guess ill see you all there my room code says AM/E247! does that mean anything to anyone?
cya there!
Adam

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:16 pm

AM = Andrew Melville
E = E-block
And the number denotes your room. When I was in first year A & B blocks were for male students, D & E for girls and C-block was mixed, but I believe it changes every year.

I only just found out, through reading the AMH website, that there is/was a laundry room in B-block! I never knew this and walked all the way to the other side of the ship to the D-block drying room. Is the B-block one still in use and how does one find it?? Not that it matters now, I'm just curious!

[hr]

box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:33 pm

Well, I'm in Melville too...for my third year. Spent second in a flat on the far south of town, and first in Regs, so it'll be yet another exciting(if it's not: the rest of the Hall is being held responsible) chapter in my time at St Andrews.

I'm in B83 or something close to that. B8-something anyway. 82 or 83 IIRC.

Frank

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby adam on Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:54 pm

lol! well looks like im in with the girls! should be fun!! lol! :)
anyone else in Eblock? maybe its mixed this year then?
adam

Re:

Postby chaffinch on Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:38 pm

Last year there was just one floor in E-block that was devoted to boys. Not sure how many floors there are, 4 or 5 i think. Only difference is you get pink corridor walls/carpets and a mirrors.
chaffinch

Hey

Postby Mufadal on Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:37 pm

I've just found out that i'm in C103, and am looking forward to my time there. Are all freshers planning on going up on the 16th? Get in touch if you're in AMH too!
Mufadal

Re:

Postby Raaaaaaaar on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:37 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 23:16, 20th Aug 2006
I only just found out, through reading the AMH website, that there is/was a laundry room in B-block! I never knew this and walked all the way to the other side of the ship to the D-block drying room. Is the B-block one still in use and how does one find it?? Not that it matters now, I'm just curious!

[hr]

It is still in use, at least it was in my first year which was 3 years ago. I'm really getting old... Can't say it was much good for drying though. Most of the stuff I hung in there just stayed damp to the point where I stopped using it after about the third week and turned the radiator right up in my room and hung wet clothes off anything I could find.
Raaaaaaaar

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:12 pm

Three years on: better late than never - Jono
Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby Klaas on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:36 pm

Quoting Mufadal from 19:32, 25th Aug 2006
I've just found out that i'm in C103, and am looking forward to my time there. Are all freshers planning on going up on the 16th? Get in touch if you're in AMH too!

Hey, i just found out im in AMH too, C124, if i recall. So is C block still mixed this year? I hope so in any case. Looking forward to seeing people!
Klaas

Re:

Postby Icecradle on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:54 am

well... I'm volunteering on the sunday if any of you are arriving then. =)
Icecradle

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!