Home

TheSinner.net

John Burnet - ask away

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

John Burnet - ask away

Postby Irish Frank on Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:28 pm

Hi everybody, this thread is for anybody moving into John Burnet this year, by far the finest and most fun hall in Europe. Ask any and all questions you have. Hope you're getting excited about moving in!
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby FaecalMaster on Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:53 pm

Did someone really sh*t all over the walls in one of the bathrooms last year?
FaecalMaster

:)

Postby Matt on Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:53 pm

Certainly am excited! Less than 2 weeks to go now! So what sets JBH apart from the other halls? Anything we should know? :P
Matt

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:34 pm

Hi Matt,

You've hit the jackpot in moving into John Burnet! We are the smallest hall of all the St Andrews dorms (just over 100 people), which means you'll get to know nearly everybody there. You'll make a ton of friends and there's always something going on socially in hall, which could be organised by the hall committee or just something spontaneously happening - you'll have a blast. For example last year we built castles in the front lobby, tried to lure Justin Timberlake on the golf course to a danceoff at our hall ball, discovered a rickshaw in our hall garage (which I'll personally give you a ride in) and had a lot of spontaneous parties, like a Hawaiian one and a Daft Punk one.

So you'll never get bored living in John Burnet. Because we're the smallest hall, we're very close-knit - if you have a problem or something you're worried about, anything, you won't be able to count the number of people that you know you can talk to and help you out in the hall. A lot of the other halls are much bigger, which means you don't get the atmosphere you do in John Burnet.

Also our hall has generally a kickass reputation in the university - we're famous for having the best parties and the strongest sense of hall spirit of all the dorms. We won the interhall sports last year (I think) and an energy-saving competition just because John Burnet is awesome.

My name is Irish Frank - I'll be the guy with the American accent trying to meet everybody at once in Freshers week. The first drink is on me.
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:35 pm

FaecalMaster, not to my knowledge.
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Aidan on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:25 am

What do we need to take with us to the halls? Iv not had any info from the uni so im abit lost. Any advice?
Aidan

Re:

Postby Matt on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:25 am

Haha, thanks Frank. Sounds like you're probably right...did JT take up the offer? :P

Oh the crazy goings on when high society meets a student town....=)
Matt

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:00 pm

Hi Aidan, here's a short list of what you should bring:

- clothes
- winter outdoor wear (it can get pretty cold)
- posters, etc to make your room your own
- a couple of plates, cups, a pot and some cutlery for cooking on the weekend (we have kitchens and stuff so dont worry about bringing up a microwave)
- your favourite cds, movies etc
- your hall contract, which you should have got in the mail - you'll need it for all the enrolling stuff in freshers week
- yourself!

See you in John Burnet!

Matt, no unfortunately the golf club saw us and phoned ahead to JT that we were coming. So JT decided to finish playing early and head back to his hotel rather than see us, which in my opinion is not "bringing sexy back".
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Aidan on Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:21 am

Thanks Frank! Thats really helpful. c u there!
Aidan

Re:

Postby caramelly on Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:44 am

Hey Irish Frank,
Does that drink include me as well {Carolyn }!!!
C u soon
caramelly

Re:

Postby Warfare... on Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:19 pm

Yes. In one of the Shanty Toilets... and it wasn't pretty...

Quoting FaecalMaster from 19:25, 8th Sep 2007
Did someone really sh*t all over the walls in one of the bathrooms last year?
Warfare...

FaecalMaster

Postby Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:55 pm

It wasnt you was it JungleBoy?

Return to New Students! First Years!