Home

TheSinner.net

Menswear

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Menswear

Postby Fresher Prince of Bel Air on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:31 pm

A friend told me that St Andrews is better dressed than your average, but there aren't so many clothes shops. Where do you go for decent menswear? Is Dundee ok for that?
Fresher Prince of Bel Air

Re:

Postby sweet on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:05 pm

Depends on your style and budget really, St Andrews has a few casual shops eg fat face, but dundee has greater variety, so give it a shot. If it doesn't really float your boat, Edinburgh's a bigger town, and only an extra 45 mins or so travel time (Dundee takes half an hour by bus), and a more picturesque city to boot.
sweet

Re:

Postby Freaker on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:23 am

"Better dressed than average" may be a bit of an overstatement - as with all places, you get all kinds of styles. A few people enjoy showing off a lot of money in the way they dress, but most of it is still just casual as in other places, I'd say.

Except if you're talking about formals / balls, of course, in which case St Andrews has a whole lot more than other places, and you may want to get fancy clothes for those (which you can get in Edinburgh / Dundee, or even rent in St Andrews.)

Before you take anything unnecessary, arrive and have a look around at what is available :) .

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby Legion on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:57 am

It's not so much about showing off - a lot of people just take more of a pride in their appearance than others.
Legion

Re:

Postby Duncan on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Quoting legion from 09:57, 17th Sep 2008
It's not so much about showing off - a lot of people just take more of a pride in their appearance than others.

If you've nothing else going for you, I guess being proud of your appearance is better than spiraling into a sinkhole of despair and torment.
Duncan

Re:

Postby Legion on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Definitely.

And if you feel good about yourself, and want to wear clothes that aren't full of holes and smell like a badger's arse, that's good too.
Legion

Re:

Postby Duncan on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:30 pm

Quoting legion from 20:29, 17th Sep 2008
Definitely.

And if you feel good about yourself, and want to wear clothes that aren't full of holes and smell like a badger's arse, that's good too.

I'm torn between banter. I think I'll have to go with:

How do you know what a badger's arse smells like?

(I notice that God is doing better now than he was this morning. Are theists late risers?)
Duncan

Re: Menswear

Postby oldleodensian on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:22 pm

It depends what you mean by good clothes - if you are looking for the top designer brands - St Andrews has Jack Wills!

If you are looking for smart menswear - try Slaters in Dundee - the most stylish suits / outfits for formal events.

If you are looking just for brands - try the regular chain stores in Dundee or otherwise Edinburgh.

Hmmm, students in St Andrews do tend to "better dress" in the sense they tend on average to wear more expensive clothes than most students - I always describe St Andrews as the University where Polo Ralph Lauren could open a store and make money!
oldleodensian

Re: Menswear

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:20 pm

Better dressed than where? I never noticed a difference between St Andrews and the rest of the UK or the parts of Europe I visited. On the other hand, if you are from the States, then yes, emphatically yes, St Andrews is better dressed. The whole of Europe is better dressed. It's not necessarily that people wear 'smarter' clothes (dressier clothes) as it is that people wear things that match, match their body or personal style, and which more or less FIT right...
LonelyPilgrim

Return to New Students! First Years!