Home

TheSinner.net

Freshers' Week - How's it going?

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Freshers' Week - How's it going?

Postby Thackary on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:27 am

How are you finding St Andrews? How's Freshers' Week going for you?

What have you been up to, what have you discovered about St Andrews?
Any more questions for us to help with?
Thackary

Re: Freshers' Week - How's it going?

Postby L_xx on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:52 pm

im scared of bein an orphan....me n my roomie cant find rents anywer :(
L_xx

Postby Al on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:19 pm

There's plenty of time yet. And picking people you meet in the first week isn't probably the best idea anyway.
Al

Postby Thackary on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:24 pm

Yes, definitely - you've got plenty of time to find parents!

It's much better to leave it a little while and end up with parents who you like, and who will actually spend time with you.
Find parents who have an interest in common with you, and who you actually get on with - don't just accept the first drunken third year who tries to pull you!

Once you've got your parents, encourage them to invite you round for tea, or for a couple of drinks on your way into town on a Friday night (or any night of the week actually). If you build up a proper relationship with your academic parents, you'll find they'll be able to help you so much more over the coming year(s).

I'm still in touch with all my academic family, both above and below, 11 years on!
Thackary

Postby Lid on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:17 am

For me, Orientation Week / Freshers Week / Week 0 / Presessional Week is going terribly, mainly because, for the first time in 4 years, I'm not in St Andrews. People talking about the bop is nowhere near as fun without the anticipation of the bop, the being there, and the anticipation that grows on the way home of whinging on the Sinner about how shit the music was. Also, being in the middle of an exam diet doesn't help...

Either way, two weeks time, and I'll be back to moan, whinge, whine, and so forth.
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Postby eagle on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:09 pm

It's brilliant!
So good to see people back in St Andrews again - I've missed you guys!

The Bop last night was brilliant - been a while since the condensation dripped off the ceiling (the sign of a really good night!). I wasn't sure about "Amish Paradise" though, but hey - it makes a great change from the stuff that usually gets played!
Whose idea was it to do a Sinner's Guide to Freshers' Week - I loved that flyer under my door (and the other side makes the Bop look really stylish - a definite case of tongue in cheek?) Haha!

There's certainly been a shift in mood this year - people seem to be favouring the smaller parties spread around town (halls, flats etc) rather than going all out in the big pubs/bars/union in the centre of town. I'm a big fan of dinner parties (it comes with loving food, I guess) but you can't beat the feeling of being amongst hundreds of other people all having a great time.

So yeah -I'm really enjoying Freshers' Week. Shame work has to start on Monday.. :(
eagle

Postby RandomMusings on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:56 am

Personally, this week has been a lot of fun, but also a lot of stress. Trying to co-ordinate events in the union is hard work! Glad the bop worked out so well - it seemed to be an excellent night. The comedy was great too and I was really pleased when the two balloon drops worked so well.
The worst thing has been the complete lack of sleep due to rigging time etc. Long live week 1!
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Delts on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:46 pm

RandomMusings, take many weeks off. I shall as well, or at least until Saturday... Damn.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby JJZM on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:33 pm

The Bop was definitely the best event, out of the ones I attended anyways.. Kudos to those who organised it. It was well done.
JJZM

Postby bored on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:33 pm

i was jus wonderin if u hav to stay here durin revision week or can u stay at home? n also after the exam period ends i noticed theres like a 2 week gap until 2nd semester strts...... wt u meant to do in tht time? can u go home?do many ppl stay here?
x
bored

Postby RandomMusings on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:50 pm

If you want to stay in St Andrews, you can do. If you don't then you don't have to. The choice is entirely yours on both counts.

You'll probably find that the majority of people disappear during the intersemester break in jan/feb, but it'll really only be first years who disappear in reading week (on average).
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Jan/Feb

Postby Delts on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:48 am

Things happen during this time like the SAS trip. Some do bugger all and stay. Others do bugger all at home. All depends on what your preference is.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby L_xx on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:59 pm

do ppl stay here durin jan revision week b4 exams?
L_xx

Postby orudge on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:31 pm

People will usually arrive back during or just before revision week, depending on when exactly their exams are. Sometimes departments will put on tutorials, etc, in revision week.
orudge
Administrator

Return to New Students! First Years!