Home

TheSinner.net

Bartending??

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Bartending??

Postby Annie on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:24 pm

Hello :)

I am new to campus this year. I am a PG student and I am hoping to pick up a part-time job...mostly because I have always wanted to learn how to bartend :D . Any advice on where I should apply? Preferably someplace popular/busy...

Thanks in advance!
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." Dorothy Parker
Annie

Re: Bartending??

Postby orudge on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:47 pm

The obvious place would be the union. It'll certainly be busy come freshers week! There are usually a number of new folks applying around about now, so they'll probably do a group training session before the start of freshers week, to get you up to speed. No doubt there'll be other barstaff floating around the Sinner who can advise more.
orudge
Administrator

Postby James Beadle on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:54 am

I worked for the union all of last year. It is only minimum wage, but very friendly :) Plus, providing you work tuesday/firday they're very flexible on shifts and hours, allowing you to vary them in accordance with you work load. Just walk in and ask for a form (but the earlier the better)

For other places, the best bet is to simply C.V spam, give one to every bar in town. Often they don't advetise, but simply look at the CVS they already have. That got me my current job at one of the hotels. However they tend to be less flexible with hours and often don't pay much above minimum wage either. But amercians tip better than students! If you have no experience and only wish to work part time, theirs not too much work going. Waiters/Waiteresses seem to be more indemand, especially at some of the hotels. The best bet is to say on your CV you'd happily do both.
James Beadle

Postby HookerBot on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 pm

I think they've got the form up on yourunion.net, which you can print off and fill in. I'm a barmaid whilst I'm at home, and it's so much fun!
HookerBot

Postby pedantic on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Annie wrote:I am new to campus this year.

There is no campus.
pedantic

Postby Al on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:53 am

pedantic wrote:There is no campus.

For a self-professed pedant, your language is oddly vague. Yes, there is a campus. There are many of them, in fact. There may not be a campus, as such, in St Andrews, but that is not what you said.
Al

Postby Annie on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:04 pm

pedantic wrote:
Annie wrote:I am new to campus this year.

There is no campus.

... remind me never to ask a pedant -.-
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." Dorothy Parker
Annie

Postby James01 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:17 pm

Busy is good if you want to be dog tired after your shift, if not then may I suggest somewhere a bit quieter? Lots of pubs in St Andrews, heard that the Criterion for one are hiring...
James01

Postby 2jays on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:44 pm

The union pay is not quite as bad as it used to be from what I've heard, infact it's pretty good (£6.50 an hour).
2jays

Return to New Students! First Years!