Home

TheSinner.net

IR, Russian, Economics textbooks

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

IR, Russian, Economics textbooks

Postby ohjoy on Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:41 pm

Sounds crazy, I think. But is there any way we can find out what our textbooks are going to be for next year? I'd like to maybe have a look at the above subjects (and their likelihood of driving me to suicide) before I make a final decision..
ohjoy

Re:

Postby amac on Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:51 pm

[s]Unregisted User ohjoy wrote on 14:31, 22nd Jul 2004:
Sounds crazy, I think. But is there any way we can find out what our textbooks are going to be for next year? I'd like to maybe have a look at the above subjects (and their likelihood of driving me to suicide) before I make a final decision..

This is the guide for economics:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/economics/u ... EC1002.pdf

The main textbook costs £100 and is out of print :( . Thats the guide for last year so things may change slightly but not much. Funnily enough though i have the textbook, so if you do decide to do economics you can have it for £70. Bargain ;)

As for the other two subjects.. i'd look http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/academic.shtml here for some more information.
amac

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:58 pm

Try looking under the relevant academic school on the university website and navigating to the module - there might be some info in there.

And be positive!!!

Re:

Postby Haunted on Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:46 pm

Worry less, drink more

write that down
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Rob Milsom on Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:15 am

The two main textbooks for first year IR have been either of these two (since records began)

Kegley and Wittkopf - World Politics: Trend and Transformation

or

Baylis and Smith - The Globalisation of World Politics

Both can be found at all good bookshops (and Blackwells). Neither are particularly stress-inducing, especially Kegley and Wittkopf (if only because it's printed in colour and has shiny pictures). Both are around the £20 mark, and you only need buy both if you're particularly masochistic. IR has never yet driven anyone to suicide. It may have driven a few to drink, but to be honest, most of us had already made our way there...
[i]Is tresa tuath na tighearna
Rob Milsom

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:00 pm

Alright
You can buy my first year economics text book off me. Really useful the only textbook I used (Also did management and comp sci - just use google for those). The economics lectures are based all around the textbook so you don't have to go so long as you work from it or it can explain what you didn’t understand from the lecturer.
That not a sales pitch just my personal experience.
Only problem it isn't cheap. Mine was £45 new paperback, so yours for £30 (its in good condition) + pp if you want it early otherwise I can give you it St As.

email me University Email Address removed - please register!
If you're interested.

Re:

Postby Mr Valensi on Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:29 pm

only just seen this thread hence the late reply but I believe a fellow Sinner has a couple of economics textbooks for sale on the 'For sale/wanted' board... look under 'dirt cheap 1'2nd yr textook' thread and the person's name is 'Aureliano'........
'Is there a little girls room around here?'
'oui, oui madame.'
'Oh no, I just need to powder my nose.'
Mr Valensi

Same classes?

Postby Aimee on Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:19 am

Not sure if this is of any interest to you, but I'm a fresher planning to do IR and (beginners') Russian as well, so if you want to get in contact....?

I've already bought the baylis/smith IR textbook as I have a month of nothing before coming to St.A so I thought I may as well start reading... but be warned, this book dates from Jan 2001 and thus excludes some *rather important* events and their repurcussions. There's a new edition due out in December so I decided to buy the present edition second hand as I'll have to replace it in a few months anyway. It's really interesting though, and the language is accessible enough not to have extinguished my interest in the subject. Knowing my luck, we'll end up using the Kegley book instead, right?!

Aimee (linekar_amy@hotmail.com)
Aimee

Return to New Students! First Years!