Home

TheSinner.net

Fife Park Fresher

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Fife Park Fresher

Postby Katherine on Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:55 pm

Hi, i have been allocated block/house 3 in fife park this year- its everything i didn't ask for in my accommodation, but thats a different matter! Having read the article and comments in the guide to st a's above i am dreading it! Is it really as bad as they say? Can anyone please tell me something positive about being there because i'm quite worried now! Also are there any freshers in the same house as me? Please reply, thanks Katherine
Katherine

Re:

Postby Buffy on Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:08 pm

Perhaps the two of you could hook up and change rooms? Saw this post and looks like you two might be able to help eachother out: (from another thread on the same page)

HELP

I got my accomodation through today. And its bad news. Theve put me in DRA, which would be fine if I could afford it. I asked for basic standard accomodation and they have given me unsuite etc etc. Its left me about £30 a week short when you consider food etc. Dont know what to do really. Im rining accomodation tomorrow but I dont hold out much hope. I really cant afford this. Any advice would be really welcome.
Buffy

Re:

Postby Buffy on Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:11 pm

In case this doesn't make sense, look at the New Studnents board under HELP to see the other person's thread.

Good Luck,
Buffy
Buffy

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:14 pm

And if you don't end up running off to DRA...

Fife Park really isn't that bad. I don't know what exactly you asked for accomodation-wise and the Fife Park facilities are rather basic, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself.

Look on the bright side - we throw good parties (in fact the guys in 27 are throwing one sometime in Fresher's week); you're in the cheapest accomodation and thus you have the most money left over for food/drinks; and...um...i'm sure there are other things - i had fun last year anyway ^_^

I'm in 21 FP, btw :-)
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

It really isn't that bad!

Postby Angharad on Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:15 pm

Hello Katherine! A friend of mine just told me about your post, so I just wanted to write and say that Fife Park isn't as bad as some of the stories you hear! It is really just about what you make it. I moved into Flat 3 last year and made 5 brilliant friends. Unfortunately 3 of the girls have abandoned me to live closer to town (meaning I have floor space for those nights when I don't fancy the walk back!!) and one has returned to Germany; but myself and another girl will be back in Flat 3 next year for more fun.

So basically to introduce myself: I'm Angharad and will be starting my third year, studying psych. Jenni is the only girl I shared with last year foolish enough to share with me again, and she will also be going into third year but to study maths. So at least thats 3 of us we know about now- not too sure who else will be with us, but it will be fun to find out! I'm guessing you won't be the only fresher, so don't worry about that, but I promise I'm not too scary and Jenni is lovely.

Really look forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks, and please don't be scared. Everyone will be really friendly; and I don't think I am too bad to live with- though you'd have to ask the girls from last year!

If you want any more info then please feel free to get in touch: my uni email address is ar43@st-andrews.ac.uk. You probably have loads of questions, I know I did in first year. Anyway, I tend to ramble on these things but I really hope some of this post made sense to you, and that you are less apprehensive about Fife Park. I've survived one year there, and if I made it anyone can! As I said, it really isn't that bad a place; and it is definately a plus on the cost side of things.

Please don't worry about Fife Park, I had a lot of fun there last year and plan to again this year. Anyway, hope to hear from you soon, Angharad x
Angharad

Re:

Postby mottthehoople on Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:56 am

Fife park is the place that the devil liveth and his minions keep all residents in there command. You shall burn in the pits of eternal Hell that is Fife park.
mottthehoople

Re:

Postby OffHeGoes on Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:58 am

are you trying to insinuate fife park has sufficient heating? having you ever spent a night here?

but anyways its a good place to start off uni life with if you ask me, and the money you save in staying means you can be out every night should you not like it so much.
OffHeGoes

Re:

Postby Katherine on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:34 am

Thanks so much for replying Angharad, it made me feel so much better about living in Fife park! =) I will be e-mailing you shortly save clogging up the messageboards here with all my questions!

I'm sorry but i don't think I am going to be able to help the person with DRA problem. I was kind of expecting to be put in a more centrally located catered hall in my first year- thought i would make more friends that way... but it obviously was not meant to be!
Katherine

Re:

Postby Thalia on Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:43 am

Nah, you don't need a catered hall to make friends - just turn up to the parties, chat to your neighbours and housemates, and you'll make friends easily in fife park :-)
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

And dont forget your academic family!

Postby White Knight on Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:17 am

One of the best things about this uni is that it invests in an academic family system, i.e. third/fourth years adopt you as there child, you then meet other students who are your cousins, brothers, sisters, its a really good system.

Your enjoy yourself, Make sure you visit thalia, (my girlfriend :P) Dont worry i will tell you of my freshers week outside of uni accomodation, your with other freshers you will be fine.

C
White Knight

Return to New Students! First Years!