Home

TheSinner.net

Saint's Use of Association Facilities

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Saint's Use of Association Facilities

Postby Students Association on Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:57 pm

It is our unfortunate duty to announce that the decision was taken not to re-grant temporary permission to use the Association’s facilities to the student newspaper, The Saint. The Saint, as a newspaper, is not funded or in any way associated with the Students’ Association, though they have for a number of years maintained an office within the Association building, for which they pay an annual rent.

The Saint, resulting from an incident in the second semester of the last academic year, was found to be discriminatory against minority groups. No group can use the facilities or resources of the Students’ Association if they are found to be discriminatory against the members of the Association.

Members of SRC have devoted a lot of time to help The Saint be less offensive to minority groups. The Director of Representation, Ben Reilly, and SRC Student Support Officer, Dave Vinton, have made most effort on this topic to help avoid offence being caused in future. The feeling is that every effort has been taken and so little progress has been made there is no alternative. Some of the groups complaints have been received by are the University’s LGBT students, dyslexics and the Welsh.

The Students’ Association exists in order to protect the rights and interests of our members as well as to foster the development of the students through the activities which we support, via our many societies and campaigns like the Charities Campaign. The Students’ Association has long held the view that an independent student newspaper is an asset to our University community and for this reason until now we have been happy to allow The Saint access to our premises. However, when the student newspaper has been found to repeatedly discriminate against our members and thus to ignore our standing anti-discrimination policy, we have no choice but to take action. Discrimination in any form is not tolerated by the Students’ Association. As such, while we would look forward to being able to support a strong independent student newspaper, we could only do so on the condition that said newspaper be able to assure us that it would treat our members with respect via an appropriate series of checks against potentially discriminatory material which could be brought about if there were the appropriate degree of control by the editorial staff.
University of St Andrews Students' Association - find more at yourunion.net or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/StAndrewsUnion
Students Association

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:58 pm

http://www.yourunion.net/main/news

Here's the full statement.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby Koala Boy on Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:22 pm

When does this come into effect?
Koala Boy

Re:

Postby christian_harris on Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:30 pm

Not having the "offending" articles etc to hand, I cannot be 100% sure, but it seems to me that people need to lighten up. I am sure any remarks that were made were made in a tongue in cheek manner.
christian_harris

Re:

Postby Midget on Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:36 pm

I'd say the Saint was actually standing up for minority interests in the last Saint, unfortunately two minority interests clashed (guess).

So either the Saint avoids reporting on controversial issues (its a newspaper thats what its therefore) or sometimes some people are going to get offended.

You can't please all the people all the time.

Anyway what is offended??? Its an entirely personal, subjective, internal issue. so how the hell anyone can base any real judgement on it, unless ist really obvious and agreed on by all, I don't really understand.
Midget

Secret Justice

Postby puzzled on Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:40 pm

That the saint can be tasteless is not in doubt, neither that it can be offensive. However, I do think that if the SSC are going to do this, they shoud say exactly which articles broke the anti-discrim rules, instead of making vague and imprecise comments.

I would like to think that the saint people had the guts to launch an all out war against those members of the SSC who have done this, for the Saint is probably the only faction out of favour with the union ruling class that might have the influence to get 350 people to turn up to an EGM to reinstate their rights and sack those people who attacked them.

However, given their level of political interest i suspect they they will roll over and accept this ruling, possibly resulting in the paper folding.
puzzled

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:41 pm

what now for the Saint?

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Midget on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:00 pm

Ooops posted twice, damn computer.
Midget

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:14 pm

Typical bloody Union.

[hr]
'When I was young PC meant Police Constable / Now I can't seem to tell the difference'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

general information request

Postby Unknown on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:19 pm

[s]Midget wrote on 13:36, 15th Dec 2004:
I'd say the Saint was actually standing up for minority interests in the last Saint, unfortunately two minority interests clashed (guess).

I haven't read the Saint for a while, but can someone tell me what the discriminating articles/clasing minority interests were?

Would be most grateful.
Unknown

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:19 pm

I was more offended by the Union's statement than by any Saint article I've ever read - the statement says "University’s LGBT students, dyslexics and the Welsh.". It says the Welsh like the every Welsh person made a complaint, not to mention the same thing with people with dyslexia.

[hr]Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability. And I want you to know we are with you until victory, until Jerusalem.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:56 pm

[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 14:19, 15th Dec 2004:
It says the Welsh like the every Welsh person made a complaint, not to mention the same thing with people with dyslexia.

The sentence in full

[s]Further, The Saint's last two issues have included a number of offensive comments as well as misleading statements concerning amongst other groups, the University's LGBT students, dyslexics and the Welsh, which resulted in a number of complaints having been received by the SSC.[/s]

the important bit being a number of offensive comments as well as misleading statements concerning amongst other groups... . The groups mentioned are in reference to the groups offended, not the groups complaining.

[hr]
Cain

Re:

Postby Dan Canaveral on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:59 pm

Surely the fact that the Saint can't spell ('linbo', 'proffesional' and 'KT Turnstall' being some examples that spring to mind) is grounds enough for kicking them out of the building, in addition to calling people 'faggots'?
[s]Get off my battlefield[/s]
Dan Canaveral

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:00 pm

[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 14:19, 15th Dec 2004:
I was more offended by the Union's statement than by any Saint article I've ever read - the statement says "University’s LGBT students, dyslexics and the Welsh.". It says the Welsh like the every Welsh person made a complaint, not to mention the same thing with people with dyslexia.

The statement was most probably co-written by someone with dyslexia. If he didn't find it offensive...

I can understand why this action has been taken, I mean to be offensive on 3 seperate occasions, once may be tounge in cheek, but 3 times shows a level of stupidity that astounds me.

I also liked their stop the bop crap, especially seen as more people went to the bop on Friday night than actually buy the Saint.

[hr]
[s]Strangers passing in the street....by chance two seperate glances meet[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:01 pm

Is anyone actually going to ever show the majority of the student body the offensive articles that warranted the action??

If the Union want us to support their action, they could at least let us know what they're on about.

Any official response from the Saint yet?
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Duffman on Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:02 pm

how exactly has it been offence to dyslexic people? I have read the Saint many a time but have never been offended, unless those spelling mistakes are a shot at us dyslexics! Hmmmmm
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Re:

Postby Lil Dragon on Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:05 pm

[s]Midget wrote on 13:36, 15th Dec 2004:Anyway what is offended??? Its an entirely personal, subjective, internal issue. so how the hell anyone can base any real judgement on it, unless ist really obvious and agreed on by all, I don't really understand.

Being offended is very pesonal, too right.

So if I tell a black man he's a "f* nig**" or refuse to talk to someone cause he's a "pak**", it is only his opinion that comes out.

No seriously, that's a bit extreme as an example, but slander/discrimination that aim at a specific group of people is not on.

'Midget' I doubt you've been on the other side of discimination. I can tell you one thing, it ain't pretty.

As for "the Welsh", I doubt the whole Welsh community did get up and complin but I cn well imagine if there were sevral articales that were distasteful to them they would be quite pissed off. Whether the complaining was at a pub table or at a Union desk makes little difference.

Now on the other side of things, we'd have to look in depth at all the articles deemed offensive it's true, but face it: The Saint can try all it's worth to look up to those 'sensation' tabloids/magazines for inspiration as to style, and provocation may sell, but articles to the detriment of groups of people is not on.

Now, if you don't agree, that's you're right. "Down with regulators and decency".
He flows in the air, the ghost of a Wind... IMAGE:www.chalso.free.fr/images/taik_symbol72.gif
Lil Dragon

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:21 pm

If the Saint wants to be tasteless and lowbrow, thats up to them, but they have to accept the consequences. Its as simple as that,

[hr]...Just like Liberace, I will return to haunt you with peculiar piano riffs...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:28 pm

I wish I'd kept my copies of the Saint now. Not that my views are necessarily reflected by it, I just like to hear the gossip etc. I'd love to look back over them and try to figure out what these particular "offensive comments" are, especially as I associate very closely with one of these so-called minorities.
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:47 pm

Hahahaha, this is a joke - right?
Prophet Tenebrae

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board