Home

TheSinner.net

The Scottish Standard

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The Scottish Standard

Postby AlenWatters on Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:46 pm

Whilst standing in the queue at woolies today, content with my Record and Guardian I set my eyes upon Scotland's ONLY pro-independence newspaper - The Scottish Standard.

Now, it's only a weekly, and they've gone for a Daily Mail-type format, but surely cause for celebration? Not amongst other media outlets it seems. There's been no mention of it in any other papers (unsuprising), and more disappointingly on the BBC. Are they that scared of nationalists?

I've not been this excited about a newspaper since I last read the Daily Sport!I hope it lasts at least a month before going tits up.

[hr]http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~snpsoc/
AlenWatters

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:54 pm

I have seen a paid-for advert for it, Mr Watters, but that is all. I will see if I can get a hold of a copy later on, just to see what it promises.

[hr]Superman Beats Gally, Cockburn and Archer!
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby amac on Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:58 pm

Why would the BBC mention it anyway? It's not news, and they aren't going to promote a partisan newspaper, which unlike others, was presumably created for that very purpose of supporting the nationalist cause.

Just because it isn't getting a mention doesn't mean they're scared of you. They probably couldn't care less.

[hr]

Look left! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I said left you retard
amac

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:03 pm

Well, I certainly knew about it, if only because a friend of mine works for them. Can't say I'll be rushing out to buy it though. Not sure I really see the point given that pro-nationalist almost inevitably means patochial and inward-looking. Rather get a newspaper with news than an overt political agenda.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Ga on Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:17 pm

[s]exnihilo wrote on 19:03, 9th Mar 2005:
Rather get a newspaper with news than an overt political agenda.

Good luck. You'll need it.

[hr]
If everything in life had a point, life would be pointless
If everything in life had a point, life would be pointless
Ga

Re:

Postby Iain on Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:40 pm

Was mentioned on the BBC Good Morning Scotland some time after 8?? this morning. Was too sleepy to pay much attention.
Unwind: touch the brine; Take some bread: break some wine
I can see the water line; Red below the Lewis sun
Iain

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:40 pm

[s]Ga wrote on 19:17, 9th Mar 2005:Good luck. You'll need it.

Well, there's overt and there's overt. The Independent has served me just fine since it was launched.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby tintin on Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:17 am

I'll be going out to buy a copy. I'd be interested to see how well they do as the newspaper market must be quite saturated by now.
tintin

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:00 pm

I'll stick with The Telegraph.

[hr]

[s]Strangers passing in the street....by chance two seperate glances meet[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Iain on Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:25 pm

Can I take this opportunity, since a Scottish thread has arisen, to remind you all of the following:

March 24th
7.30 for 8
Alex Salmond, Leader of the SNP.
Speech to be followed by Q & A.
Lower Parliament Hall.
£3 entry (£2 with an SNP members card or member of SNPsoc)
Please e-mail snpsoc@st-andrews.ac.uk to reserve a ticket and everyone pays on the door.

Come along on the night if you can't be bothered reserving, we'll find a place for you!
Iain

Re:

Postby AlenWatters on Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:49 pm

Not sure I really see the point given that pro-nationalist almost inevitably means patochial and inward-looking.

Deary me, I'm sure you know as well as I do that the Scottish National Party is not in any way inward-looking or parochial. Our brand of Nationalism is about looking beyond the decaying borders of Brittania, and stepping out into the world.

Although I do agree that the Standard will have to attian some degree of objectivity before anyone takes it seriously. I was always of the opinion that it would be better to somehow change one of the unionist papers from within, but I'd like to see it do well.

The standard of journalism within it is suprisingly high, and there's even a Tom Shields article about the wonderful island of Barra.

[hr]
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~snpsoc/
AlenWatters

Re:

Postby amac on Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:59 pm

Quoting AlenWatters from 12:49, 10th Mar 2005

Not sure I really see the point given that pro-nationalist almost inevitably means patochial and inward-looking.

Although I do agree that the Standard will have to attian some degree of objectivity before anyone takes it seriously.

That will be hard considering it's origins. The problem they have in this situation is that non-SNP supporters are unlikely to become regular readers making the papers support mean very little.
amac

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:13 pm

[s]AlenWatters wrote on 12:49, 10th Mar 2005:
Deary me, I'm sure you know as well as I do that the Scottish National Party is not in any way inward-looking or parochial. Our brand of Nationalism is about looking beyond the decaying borders of Brittania, and stepping out into the world.

Really? Then I must have met hundreds of the wrong sort of nationalists. You really should do a better job of hiding the rabidly lunatic ones if you want your party to do well.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Iain on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:31 pm

Pray name some rabid lunatics.....
Iain

Re:

Postby AlenWatters on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:39 pm

[s]exnihilo wrote on 13:13, 10th Mar 2005:
Really? Then I must have met hundreds of the wrong sort of nationalists. You really should do a better job of hiding the rabidly lunatic ones if you want your party to do well.

You seem to be totally ignorant of the party and its policies. So ignorant in fact, that it would be futile for me to list here the numerous reasons why this is not the case. You may be confusing us with the Scottish Labour Party, which uses these two devices almost as its raison d'etre.

So, could I ask your Mr Exnihilo to actually find a statement form any SNP MSP or MP that actually lends any sort of validity to your outdated stereotypes?
AlenWatters

Re:

Postby ryan on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:40 pm

Hmmm, I have the opposite problem and keep meeting the wrong type of Unionist. How about we hide the crazy nationalists and you hide the crazy conservatives. I do believe your job will be far harder than mine.
ryan

Re:

Postby tintin on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:52 pm

I've bought and read the Standard today and must say I'm impressed. They are right in that Scotland does need more Scotland-centred press focus, but some of their rhetoric bordered on the hysterical at times. It wasn't cheap at 70p but was a good read and had some interesting articles. I would definitely buy it again or else read it online - at 10p more than my usual Torygraph it is a little dear.
tintin

Re:

Postby amac on Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:03 pm

Quoting AlenWatters from 13:39, 10th Mar 2005

You seem to be totally ignorant of the party and its policies. So ignorant in fact, that it would be futile for me to list here the numerous reasons why this is not the case. You may be confusing us with the Scottish Labour Party, which uses these two devices almost as its raison d'etre.

So, could I ask your Mr Exnihilo to actually find a statement form any SNP MSP or MP that actually lends any sort of validity to your outdated stereotypes?

Actually, you seem to be the one missing the point - he didn't say the nationalists he was talking about were MP's or MSP's. I'm sure lots of your parties members are neither 'inward-looking or parochial', but I've definately met a few who are.
amac

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:04 pm

Former St Andrews Students' Association President Nick Bibby is the Standard's business editor.

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:05 pm

You obviously are rather ignorant of the party and its policies. It would be futile to point out the number of ways in which it is actually less 'inward looking and parochial' than even the Scottish Labour Party, which I would say relies on these factors as the basis of its constitutional policy, so I would just ask you if you could find any statement by any SNP MSP or MP which could actually back up what you are saying?

Do your homework, and please stop reverting to outdated stereotypes.

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board