Home

TheSinner.net

overseas weekend

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

overseas weekend

Postby R.M. on Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:17 pm

I am a European student starting my studies at St Andrews this autumn. I'm not sure about this overseas weekend business. Is it necessary? Or is it mostly social? I don't want to make friends with only other international students, and I'm afraid if I go to the Weekend, this will be the case. Any experience with this?
R.M.

Re:

Postby Oli on Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:00 pm

Have a look at www.thesinner.co.uk/article-view.php?article=155 for a few more details

I haven't experienced any of the events myself, so I'm afraid I can't comment further.
Oli

Go!

Postby Nina on Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:18 pm

Hm... Okay, so i admit that most of, i.e. all except for one or two, of my friends are international, so in a sense me telling you what a fantastic time i had as a first year at the overseas weekend is besides the point...

Yeah, you'll probably get lots of non-British friends if you decide to go to the weekend, but that doesn't necessarily rule out you making lots of British friends later on. I'd definatley go - if only to get to know the town and to figure out how the banks etc. function. Believe me, a lot of stuff in the UK is different from what you're used to on the continent...

By the way, where in Europe are you from?
Nina

and so it begins...

Postby R.M. on Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:17 pm

Nina, thank you for replying. However, this sort of "Oh-you're-from-xland-?-i'm-from-xland-we'll-be-best-friends!!!" thing is more or less what I'm trying to avoid. And as much as I'd like to watch all the Americans go into donut withdrawal, I think I may give the weekend a miss. Although the Scottish culture bits seemed interesting, so we'll see.
R.M.

Re:

Postby underworlddreams on Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:38 pm

OK, first and foremost, the first week in St Andrews can either set you up with a social group for the rest of your time here or, if you're more adventurous, start you on your way towards knowing everyone and gaining total world domination... ahem... sorry...

Anyway, just because you'll be associating with so many people from your home country, it doesn't mean you'll end up with no friends from elsewhere! After all, being British (and having so many British students about) hasn't stopped me having friends from Sweden, Ireland, the States, Brazil, Italy and so on... The number of overseas students we have in St A's, despite many people's complaints about the subject, can only be a good thing, I think...
underworlddreams

Re:

Postby Oli on Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:13 pm

I agree. But I'm a bit jealous about your friend from Brazil. I want a friend from Brazil. The best I can do is get a friend from Venezuela.
Oli

it's all up to you...

Postby Nina on Wed Aug 21, 2002 8:52 am

I get it that you don't want to be making friends with people just because you from the same country, R.M. But that shouldn't rule out you coming for overseas weekend. The friends I made there were from all over the world (Australia, Singapore, France, the US...). Besides, as soon as you move into halls you'll be swamped by Brits! (And before anyone starts attacking that last comment - i meant it as something positive :)

Like someone mentioned, it's really up to you. Okay, gaining world domination might take some extra time and effort, but going to overseas doesn't mean you'll be spending the rest of your years at St Andrews only with people from Germany, or Sweden, or whereever you're from. It simply means that you (hopefully) have a fantastic few days meeting new people who it's completly up to whether or not you choose to associate with for the rest of your time here...
Nina

Re:

Postby RM on Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:39 pm

hm. You have a very good point, Nina. Australians are yummy. and as I said, the Scottish bits seemed interesting.
OK, I'll drop the anti social attitude and fax in my sign-up sheet.
RM

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:58 pm

I'm glad at least some Europeans are coming. I'm American, going so I can get away from home that much earlier, but like R.M., I don't want to meet just more Americans.

Return to The Sinner's Main Board