Home

TheSinner.net

mp3 downloads

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

mp3 downloads

Postby LJ on Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:49 pm

I've just been having a look on some websites and I've found a program (morpheus type) and it says that there's a version for LANs. Does that mean that if we all install that on our computers, we can share our music within the university network. Here's the address:

http://www.gnutelliums.com/windows/#Gnucleus

and scroll down until you see Gnucleus. Let me know what you think.
LJ

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:32 pm

They 'about Gnucleus' section of the Gnucleus website says:
"Gnucleus is a Gnutella client. In other words: a program to share files on, and download files from the Gnutella network. You can find many files on the Gnutella network, ranging from classic music to movies to computer programs."

So I think that's a no, I was under the impression that the Gnutella network is a thing in the great wide internet that we're not allowed to get at anymore.

[hr]"Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it."
- Philip K. Dick

"America is like a melting pot. The people at the bottom get burned, and the scum floats to the top."
- Charlie King
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby LJ on Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:13 pm

If you go to the site that I've put there and click on the FAQ it mentions LANs where you can't get access to it. Then it goes on to say that if you have problems you can download the version for use within the LAN. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work.
LJ

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:26 pm

http://www.gnucleus.com/general/faq.html

"Why doesnt it connect?

...Gnucleus does have settings to create a private gnutella network on your LAN so explore that option also if you cannot get on."

OK so yes in theory you could do this but if you are on resnet, you have agreed to not provide any type of service from you computer, this included.

Also this I am am sure is one of the main reasons that there is more restrictions in force on the network this year than before because people got silly last year with file sharing and slowed the network down to a crawl!

So if you want to keep the nice fast network we have at the moment DON'T DO THIS!!! As I would rather have a fast network for web and stuff than a slow one that I could share files on.
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:32 pm

Ah, so you're suggesting that while it might not actually work outside the network, it would be a way for people to share files locally.

Even if it did work, I imagine that ITS wouldn't be too happy about that sort of stuff going on - as it's essentially just a way around the things they've already done.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:50 am

[s]TheGamesMaster wrote on 20:26, 24th Sep 2002:So if you want to keep the nice fast network we have at the moment DON'T DO THIS!!! As I would rather have a fast network for web and stuff than a slow one that I could share files on.

Yes this lovely network we currently have that is lightnening quick at doing all the ABSOLUTELY NOTHING we can do on it. ResNet may be a service provided by the Uni for academic purposes and it may be massively cheaper that a conventional net connection, but it is also the only netconnection those of us in halls can get. Even if we where willing to pay through the nose for a connection that would let us do the things I want to do (gaming, uploading and downloading files etc) we couldn't because ITS has a captive market in us hall residents.
A captive market that they have ruthlessly exploited in the same way that Residential have with the recent rent hikes and service cut backs, by cutting back our usage, threatening us with fines and additional costs but still charging us the same price. In a business world (which, with the loss of government funding, academia is rapidly trying to become) this behaviour would be ridiculous and suicidal. This 'service' that ITS call ResNet is rapidly becoming a joke, as the technology and content of the internet expands and evolves so rapidly we are allowed less and less access to it. Making ResNets value, even for academic purposes, laughable or quickly heading towards such a state.

[hr]
"Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it."
- Philip K. Dick

"America is like a melting pot. The people at the bottom get burned, and the scum floats to the top."
- Charlie King
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Oli on Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:35 am

I think that most people here are missing the point.

The fact that you could do more stuff last year has nothing to do with it. You weren't allowed to do it last year, and you're not allowed to do it this year. All ITS have done is to prevent you from doing what you shouldn't be doing in the first place.

As far as the rules go, nothing has changed.
Oli

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:51 am

I don't imagine that moderate file sharing will destroy the network, I mean I know people who were sucking up bandwidth like there was an apocalypse around the corner last year and it wasn't as if we noticed it until the network exploded - which was due to the network being crap and not over use.

Anyway - maybe ITS could offer RESnet Gold, where you could do something other than just surf.

Now I have to go laugh at the idea of anything so unfeasible happening.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:18 pm

Yea but people don't know how to do thing in moderation! OK the resnet was screwed last year, but some of this was to do with file sharing.

I would be in favour of opening the game ports up on the filewall as these don't use much bandwidth.
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:32 pm

yes, esp. when SW: Galaxies comes out.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:32 pm

i know someone who is a resnet person for a hall and they said to me that they have a letter from it services saying file sharing isn't banned this year....
but don't jsut take my word for it...

[hr]IMAGE:www.red-llama.com/me.bmp
[rar!]
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:55 pm

Which hall would that be? I would be interested in seeing this letter.
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:00 am

Well, if ITS really wanted us to ban file sharing then they'd have put giant locks on our computers but at the moment, I can't see any.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:37 am

Killing people is banned, but you don't see the police locking everybody up just in case they kill someone.

Hence our computers aren't locked to stop file sharing but that doesn't make it any less banned.
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:37 pm

The locks on people are just really small but the actual point was that if ITS wanted to stop us file sharing then they could stop the whole trust thing and just actually stop it.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:36 pm

Funny, that was my point aswell...
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:57 pm

Really? I thought my post was pointless?
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:23 am

Well the first bit was, the second bit was valid and my point.
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby Marky Boy on Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:08 pm

Er, if you are really desperate to download mp3s / play games / whatever you have the following available to you:

1) put a large sack full of used, unsequential £20s into yer phone account

2) buy a modem

3) make a dial-up account with Freeserve.

You might even be able to get unmetered modem acsess over the uni phones, though I wouldn't hold out too much hope. It would be slow as hell as well.

But still, I never got speedy downloads off of Grokster anyway: even a small jpeg (ahem) took a minute or so to get.

Thinking about it, if I can get unmetered for £15/pcm or whatever they charge without those Student Connect gimps charging me a fortune on top of it I might do that. Maybe.
Marky Boy

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:57 pm

Student Connect will charge you for freephone numbers, at least they did last year.
Prophet Tenebrae

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board