Home

TheSinner.net

Chugger Off

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:28 pm

Lol. I thought I was the only one that used this word.

They kinda piss me off, not as much as those fuckin' gourangas... grrr

[hr]

"we are the pretty, petty thieves"
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby ezra on Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:38 pm

yeah, i hate it when people ask me to donate money to charity . . .
ezra

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:42 pm

I have nothing against charity, being involved with one, but they really don't get the message when you tell them you are broke/living off your overdraft.

[hr]

"we are the pretty, petty thieves"
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:49 am

Or when they walk backwards in front of you up Buchanan Street telling you that as you're well dressed you must be able to spare some money - and thus cause you to miss your bus to St Andrews. Hypothetically.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:55 am

Quoting ezra from 21:38, 21st Nov 2005
yeah, i hate it when people ask me to donate money to charity . . .

Oversimplifying the opposition's position to make them seem morally bankrupt is such a wonderful technique isn't it.

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/humphrey_clarke/
Humphrey

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:39 pm

what position was I oversimplifying?

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:50 pm

If I want to give money to charity, I will, and I do give to some charities, such as the Poppy Appeal, and I would give to cancer research, but that's about it. I don't need someone on the street harrassing me for bank details.

[hr]

Not my ethics.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby ezra on Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:33 pm

there's been an earthquake in asia, y'know

http://www.dec.org.uk/
ezra

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:47 pm

I don't see any real benifit from giving to an earthquake on the other side of the world.

Thanks to that tsunami and whatnot, an air ambulance had to be taken out of sercice in Cumbria because people stopped giving to causes at home. I'll stick to giving to causes that benifit me and people in my country.

[hr]

Not my ethics.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Haunted on Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:55 pm

I'm really starting to get tired of the guilt-trip society we seem to be living in.

As a consequence its almost become a competition to see who can donate the most money, wear the most wrist bands, stand silent in 'respect' for the longest, get the first signature in a book of condolences, leave the most flowers, shed the most tears, etc.

All for the wrong reason of trying to feel good about yourself and not for the cause.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby ezra on Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:57 pm

I don't see any real benifit from giving to an earthquake on the other side of the world.

It saves lives, you muppet.

Two questions:

i. What do you think is the ground of your obligation to give money to charity? [e.g. is it that people need help? in virtue of what?]

ii. Why on Earth do you restrict your charitable donations to 'causes that benifit [sic] me and people in my country'? Why not just restrict it to people who live in your town, or in your street?

Or maybe you think that inhabitants of Asia aren't people, and don't deserve assistance. Of *course* 10 quid is going to be put to better use if you spend it on a round of drinks than if you donate it to the DEC. Those idiots might waste it on blankets, clean water, and shelter.
ezra

Re:

Postby ezra on Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:57 pm

Haunted: it's not a guilt trip, ffs. It's about displaying some degree of humanity.
ezra

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:02 pm

I'd restrict my donations to help only people I care about, e.g my family and friends if I could.

I don't care about saving lives on the other side of the world when people in my county are dying.

[hr]

Not my ethics.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:03 pm

Quoting ezra from 14:57, 22nd Nov 2005
ii. Why on Earth do you restrict your charitable donations to 'causes that benifit [sic] me and people in my country'? Why not just restrict it to people who live in your town, or in your street?

because it is just natural for people to want to look out for them and their own, than to someone they don't know exists, shall never meet and who may never get the money anyway for all they know.

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby ezra on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:06 pm

steveo:
I don't care about saving lives on the other side of the world when people in my county are dying

Why? Are the lives of people in this country worth more than the lives of people on the other side of the world? Is it better to save one person in Britain or twenty people in Pakistan?

Flarewearer: ah, the old 'because it is natural' argument. It is fallacious. It is equally natural for people to bully, assault, lie, and in some cases rape, others. It doesn't make it right. You are confusing explanation with justification; I was asking for a justification.
ezra

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:08 pm

Steveo is right, people only have so much to give to charity and, speaking for myself, if it's a choice between medical research and helping our war veterans and the RNLI or sending money to somewhere else (where it'll likely be siphoned off by a corrupt regime), I know which one I do. Money is now not being given to local charity here, and it's a cause for concern.

Anyway, if it was about showing real humanity, ezra, you'd quit your cushy funded postgraduate degree that you really don't need and go and help in the starving or disaster struck areas of the world.

Naturally, you'll have a clever philosophical argument for why that's the wrong choice.

[edited for structural reasons]
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:15 pm

Why? Are the lives of people in this country worth more than the lives of people on the other side of the world? Is it better to save one person in Britain or twenty people in Pakistan?

This isn't about assigning value to life, but just my preference when it comes to who I chose to save, and my sense of place and belonging makes me chose my own people over others.

[hr]

Not my ethics.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Senethro on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:20 pm

Thread hijack detected!
Senethro

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:23 pm

Unfortunately I'd rather save my mother than 5 people I've never met in my life, because to me, they don't exist.

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board