Home

TheSinner.net

re:Let's get this party started.....

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

re:Let's get this party started.....

Postby Poppa on Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:06 pm

If someone was to start a house-techno-electro night in St. Andrews for students, would anyone go? I've been thinking about it for a while now but i would appreciate a bit of feedback (ie. venues, prices, music choice etc...)
Poppa

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:24 pm

Eeeeww.

[hr]Happiness is like wetting yourself. Everyone can see the signs but only those close to you feel the warmth.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:45 pm

Don't respond. It'll just encourage them. One of the better things about St. A's is the lack of that stuff. Go to Dundee.
[s]The_Farwall wrote on 17:24, 20th Nov 2002:
Eeeeww.

[hr]Happiness is like wetting yourself. Everyone can see the signs but only those close to you feel the warmth.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby James Baster on Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:05 pm

While I highly praise your intrest and commitment in bringing more events to the students of St. Andrews I must personally condem your atrochious taste in music. Therefore I will stand out side your event and appluad your efforts. Then I will go somewhere where they play decent music.

P.S. Add usual things about 'Anything The Sinner can do to help ...'

[hr][s]Its nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a very special and strong-minded kind of atheist to jump up and down with their hand clasped under their other armpit and shout 'Oh, random-flucuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!' or 'Aaargh, primitive-and-out-moded-concept on a crutch!' - Terry Pratchet, Men at arms[/s]
James Baster

Re:

Postby Dj Balloon on Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:06 pm

Sounds good. Where would you hold the night though, with the absence of clubs and all...? Music wise it may be best to have a mix of stuff to encourage mroe folks. Good luck!
Dj Balloon

Re:

Postby loveridge on Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:51 pm

You bring techno to St Andrews and I'm moving.
IMAGE:www.boomspeed.com/loveridge/loveridge.gif
loveridge

Re:

Postby Amanda on Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:07 pm

"Posted by loveridge at 20:51, Today
You bring techno to St Andrews and I'm moving."

ditto

[hr][s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:08 pm

Haven't you seen the local by-laws, it says not crappy techno music.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:36 pm

Is it dodgy German techno (very popular in the early 90s)?
Thackary

Re:

Postby Dj Balloon on Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:21 am

"If someone was to start a house-techno-electro night in St. Andrews for students, would anyone go?"

Bigotry always pisses me off, even in music ;) Condemning a whole genre of music, i.e. dance, seems a completely bizarre move. Four years ago I used to say that the only types of music I disliked were folk and country. Now, I like quite a lot of music from those genres too. Completely ruling out any type of music seems ill advised and uneducated.

The problem I find with many people who dislike dance is that they haven't actually listened to a good deal of it. There are as many different types of dance music as there are rock (with only three types listed above). What I also find with dance bigots (sic) is that you can play them a dance track and they will say they dislike it. Yet, two months later when it hits the charts they will suddenly like it.

As for techno, There certainly was a lot of cheesy German stuff emerging in the early 90's. But techno is a type of dance music - heavily synthesizer based - as opposed to a summary term for all dance music. The Americans seems to be responsible for this classification outrage! ahem. Anyway, limit yourself to Rocksoc if you want my friends, but you are missing out...
Dj Balloon

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:36 am

I won't limit myself to anything, thankyou very much, I just don't like dance music. It isn't ignorance or biggotry that has lead me to this opinion, granted there have been a few tracks that would be classed as dance that I do like, but after hearing dance in the charts and on the radio for the whole of my life, I don't like it.
I like songs (ie not tracks, important distinction), I like them to have melody and emotive lyrics, I like the sounds of pianos and guitars.
This is why I don't like dance music as a genre, it typically doesn't fall into these parameters.

To accuse someone of bigotry for dissing a genre of music without having listened to every piece of music that ever fell under that banner would be the dumbest thing I've ever read. If I didn't read the Sinner everyday. Ask yourself what it is to attack people for displaying a dislike for something that you do like. And too lump them all into an assumed category to try and explain the fact that the disagree with you.

If you're looking for a biggot pal, try the mirror.

The_Farwall

Re:

Postby loveridge on Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:37 am

The thing will dance music is that it has always been crap, but then again, it is suited to one's own taste and you either like it or hate it. In this thread, thankfully, most people hate it.

Saying we're limiting ourself to one genre is rubbish. Stop acting pathetic and enjoy the music you like. We'll enjoy the music we like. The only thing we're missing out, DJ Balloon, is some music we hate, which I'm glad to be missing.

[hr]IMAGE:www.boomspeed.com/loveridge/loveridge.gif
loveridge

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:18 am

[s]loveridge wrote on 10:37, 21st Nov 2002:Stop acting pathetic and enjoy the music you like. We'll enjoy the music we like.

To be fair, I started the confrontation so DJ Whatsisface can hardly be blamed for reacting. I just think he/she over-reacted.
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Jiang on Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:17 pm

Hey Farwall, if you're going to slag off something effectively, at least spell bigot properly. Did you go to school?

By the way, dance tracks can be songs and have guitars etc. For example, there is a moby song featuring none other than guitars. Also you say that you can't judge a genre unless you've heard everything of the said genre. You say this regarding rock. But one can also apply the same thing to dance.

So buck up your ideas, Farwall, for thou art an uneducated idiot!
Jiang

Re:

Postby Decadence on Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:44 pm

The problem I have here is that hardly any dance 'music' is made by musicians

Hence I think it isn't music... Given that no-one actually _plays_ an instument on these tracks...

Granted, they may play about one or two chords or arpeggios, but then it's just sample, sample and overdub...

It doesn't take much musical skill or knowledge to punch some parameters into a computer or synth and come out with some manufactured noise...

I mean if it was that easy, people would be doing it in their bedrooms...

Oh, waitasec...

D.

[hr]"Yes, I am an agent of Satan,
But my duties are largely ceremonial."

... Thus spake the Cardinal of Decadence
Decadence

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:13 pm

[s]Jiang wrote on 14:17, 21st Nov 2002:
Also you say that you can't judge a genre unless you've heard everything of the said genre. You say this regarding rock. But one can also apply the same thing to dance.

I realise my wording wasn't particularly good, what I meant was that DJ whatsisface seemed to be calling us bigots because we where slagging off dance music without having listened to the entire spectrum of dance. I think his point is a bit daft, I very much doubt anyone has every listened to every dance track ever and it's extremely unlikely that anyone is going to devote themselves to listening to every inch of a genre they don't like initially.
For those reasons I feel entirely justified in slagging off dance music without spending my life listening to it on the off chance that a few bits of it break the mould and sound alright.

Hey Farwall, if you're going to slag off something effectively, at least spell bigot properly. Did you go to school?

I'm not entirely sure why you think my spelling should effect the validity of my opinions. If I said I hadn't been to school, would you deem my arguments irrelevant even though we're discussing music, not the education system?

So buck up your ideas, Farwall, for thou art an uneducated idiot!

Two points on this one:
Firstly, I attend the same university as you do (presumably, considering you have a registered account on this website), you might want to think through the implications that this would have to you. Either a)Despite your magnificent education and shining academic record you've managed to end up at a University so crap that it admits uneducated idiots like me. Haha. Or b)despite the fact that I went through an education roughly equivalent to yours (seeing as we both ended up here) and therefor, if I still qualify as being an uneducated idiot, so do you.
My second point reguarding your random insult is this...
Hey Jiang, if you're going to slag off something effectively, at least use the correct, modern grammar. Did you go to school anytime in the past 150yrs?

Next, appart from kindly proof reading it, did you pay any attention to the points I made in my last post? If you'd be so kind as to notice, the point I was making was that DJ whatsisface was wrong to attack people with the 'bigot' label just because they disagreed with his views on music. Now you've responded to my post, with which you obviously don't agree, in exactly the same way, with insults. Grow up.

And lastly, you'll notice I refrained from mention my view that dance music only seems to be enjoyed by brainless, ignorant louts. I didn't bring this up because a)I realise it's an irrational predjudice and a sweeping generalisation on my part and b)People like you do such a good job of making the point for me.

[hr]
Happiness is like wetting yourself. Everyone can see the signs but only those close to you feel the warmth.
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby loveridge on Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:44 pm

The_Farwall wrote on 11:18, 21st Nov 2002:
To be fair, I started the confrontation so DJ Whatsisface can hardly be blamed for reacting. I just think he/she over-reacted.

Okay. That's fair enough. Still, he/she is way over-reacting.

loveridge

Re:

Postby Jiang on Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:49 pm

Hmmm. Farwall, I think the person that needs to grow up is you, not me. You're taking this far too personally. What do you do? Spend half of your time posting on this website? My message to you: GET A LIFE

Oh and thanks for mentioning my shining academic record. It is good, isn't it?
:)
Jiang

Re:

Postby loveridge on Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:11 pm

Isn't this getting a little childish, with the whole "grow up" and "get a life" comments?

loveridge

Re:

Postby Poppa on Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:59 pm

I didn't realise my post would provoke such a negitive reaction from y'all (with the kind exeption of DJ Balloon). I was just curious whether or not to bother. 4 years ago i hated dance music with a passion, so i can understand yer reservations. However, over this time it has become the music that i love. Asi don't live in St.Andrews any more, i was wondering whether or not the scene had changed or not. I can see that it has not. It's a shame. Yer missing out on something big!
Poppa

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board