Home

TheSinner.net

Looking for a society to join

If you're panicking about anything, ask your question here and someone will be happy to help. For more serious issues you'd rather discuss in confidence, visit Student Support Services.

Looking for a society to join

Postby poz21 on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:24 pm

Hey everyone,

I have just been trying to find a list of societies on the web but cant seem to!

Anyway, I am looking to join a society as much as a way to meet new people as to give me something to do.

I was just wondering if someone could tell me where I can get a list from and if anyone could suggest any good societies. i'm pretty open to trying something new.

I havent got too many hobbies, i enjoy computing especially web design/photoshop, listening to music and I am quite sporty. I would be interesting in playing squash, as I played in first year and really enjoyed it.

Hope someone can help me out.
poz21

Re:

Postby Colleen on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:50 pm

I can't help with squash, but I will pimp DocSoc; being a Doctor Who fan is *not* a pre-requisite, because mostly we just heckle it and eat lots of cake.

We have a meeting, tomorrow night, at 8pm in the Chattan TV Room, and there'll be someone at the door to let you in, so don't worry if you're not resident, most of us aren't. :-) £2 for non-members, £3.50 for a years membership and unlimited cake! (For those that care, we have a Scottish Doctors theme in honour of St Andrews day: we'll be watching 'Tooth and Claw' and 'Survival')

Come along. We're lovely people, lots of people attend meetings and generally it's a fun night for all concerned!

[hr]

taking shots for mother nature
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Re:

Postby BeccaLydia on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:42 pm

If you're interested in Human Rights, or just doing something good or even just want a hot lunch for £1, then come along to Amnesty International. We're in Mansefield at 1pm every Thursday - we're really friendly so just drop by and meet lots of other people.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100244
BeccaLydia

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:41 pm

St Andrews University Real Ale Society :D

10% discount on (excellent) food and drink in the Central Bar; epic tournaments of Guess Who, Tumbling Monkeys, Pop Up Pirate and Scrabble; the odd game of cards; trips to Alloa and Glenrothes beer festivals (bus paid for by the society and discounted entry); monthly copies of the Campaign for Real Ale's papers, What's Brewing and Beer(!); a possible trip to a brewery in semester 2; the one and only Sauras Monster Pub Crawl, this year encompassing all 30 licensed properties in St Andrews open to the public; a couple of mini pub crawls; good fun and good poking; did I mention 10% discount in the Central?

If you're interested, e-mail sauras@ and someone can stick you on the list and you'll get an e-mail before the next meeting (generally Tuesdays at 8 in the Central). You know you want to.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Lindsay on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:29 pm

Join the Mediaeval Society (the Shire of Caer Caledon). The society provides a good introduction to historical re-enactment with feasting, fighting and numerous craft demonstrations and workshops throughout the year and we're a nice bunch of nutters. We've got the Yule Feast (12 courses) coming up on Saturday.
E-mail shire@st-andrews.ac.uk for more details.

Oh yes and I'll second the vote for real ale as well!

[hr]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Suulsa-Krii/givingad.gif[/img]
Lindsay

Re:

Postby Lindsay on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:29 pm

Join the Mediaeval Society (the Shire of Caer Caledon). The society provides a good introduction to historical re-enactment with feasting, fighting and numerous craft demonstrations and workshops throughout the year and we're a nice bunch of nutters. We've got the Yule Feast (12 courses) coming up on Saturday.
E-mail shire@st-andrews.ac.uk for more details.

Oh yes and I'll second the vote for real ale as well!

[hr]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Suulsa-Krii/givingad.gif[/img]
Lindsay

Re:

Postby barbarellapants on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:38 am

Come along to Juggling. We're a group of friendly people who meet, chat and er, juggle (and unicycle, and spin poi, and do fire juggling occasionly)

You don't need to know how to juggle...we can teach you some stuff.

We meet on Saturdays from 6-8 in the Salad bowl. Feel free to pop along any time within the two hours

Have fun! :)
barbarellapants

Re:

Postby barbarellapants on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:39 am

Come along to Juggling. We're a group of friendly people who meet, chat and er, juggle (and unicycle, and spin poi, and do fire juggling occasionly)

You don't need to know how to juggle...we can teach you some stuff.

We meet on Saturdays from 6-8 in the Salad bowl. Feel free to pop along any time within the two hours

Have fun! :)
barbarellapants

Re:

Postby teagreenaddict on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:39 pm

Ballroom Soc! It's new, and shiny and it's a great way to talk to people one-on-one, and we move you guys around a lot. You learn to dance - useful for social events.
teagreenaddict

Re:

Postby Pan on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:59 pm

CelticSoc

Get to know Celtic Culture a little more- lots of events and plenty of ceilidh and scottish country dance classes/balls to keep you sociable!

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby ienji on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:44 am

Swing Dance!

- Fabulous music
- You rotate partners every few minutes, so you get to meet everyone and laugh at each other when you get too dizzy
- There's a happy mixture of total beginners, those who have attended several sessions and then the odd really good person.

http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2210194506
ienji

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi,

The AU has a comprehensive list of sports clubs under the student services (?) section of the uni website. That's if you look for sport.

Student Voluntary Service (SVS) has lots and lots of fun and rewarding volunteering opportunities with different ammounts of commitment required, depending on the number of hrs your looking to spend per week. You can volunteer with childeren, adults & children with disabilities, and/or the elderly. We also have elected a new environmental projects officer to expand our reach, and with this and with all other projects we always welcome new ideas and volunteers. Please pop into our office (Union,top floor) weekdays 1-2pm or email svs@st-andrews.ac.uk for more details.

Anne

Re:

Postby Garnet on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:18 pm

OH ballroom Soc sounds interesting, please tell me more details!!

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby teagreenaddict on Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:35 am

Hee! Yay! Interest!

Okay, Ballroom Soc (aka BALLADS - Ballroom and Latin Dancing Society - clever, isn't it? We didn't think of it) started last Sunday, and this past Thursday, the 30th, with a taster session. It'll start properly in Semester 2, in February.

It runs thusly: the first Sunday of every month, the Bartys, a professional teaching couple, come in from their ballroom in Dundee, to teach for an hour, and then a 'social', where you can practice your steps, is run for an hour after that. They work on style, poise and getting the steps right (and they're also hilarious as they argue all the time)

The rest of the weeks, Ballroom runs on a Thursday evening, probably sticking with 7.30 until 9.30, where I teach with Daniel, who is a Gold champion for one of the German states. We go very slowly, teaching the basics of the social dances: waltz, slow-rhythm, quickstep, jive, cha-cha, rumba, samba and probably foxtrot and paso doble in the latter stages of semester 2.

Basically, the intent of the society is so that people can dance properly at balls, and events, but can also have a good time meeting people and dancing in a relaxed venue. We play good music (well...) using the likes of Shakira for samba (it is actual samba music!) Lady Marmalade for cha-cha, 'Tango Roxanne' for tango, Norah Jones for waltz, and big band and Frank Sinatra for quickstep and foxtrot, amongst many. We try and move people around in each session, so they're dancing with a whole variety and you don't cling to one person (and so everyone dances!)

When we run the social portion of the evening, I run music and call the dances - so you know whether to break into a waltz or a jive! (although most pick it up pretty quickly) but Dan and I, and a few who have danced quite a bit before, move around and dance with different people, and the basic rule is, you cannot refuse a dance! This way, everyone gets to know one another, and has fun! A dance, after all, is only a couple of minutes long.

We're on our way to affiliation with the Union (and the DOSDA is a member!), and the response to the taster sessions has been good, so join our facebook group - Ballroom Dance St Andrews, and sign up for our email list, when we tell everyone POST exams(!) what's happening!

It's not going anywhere - I've been dancing for about three years, competitively, and the Bartys are ecstatic to be in St Andrews, teaching uni students. We hope it'll be a real success, and fun! (We also hope to host a ball at some point next semester, but there're a lot of works in the pipeline...)
teagreenaddict

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:41 pm

I cant dance. I have never been taught. If i have missed the taster session am i going to be totally out of my depth if I start up in 2nd semester?

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby teagreenaddict on Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:54 am

No. In a word.

The taster sessions were exactly that - an idea of what to expect from future classes. Whenever something is taught in one of the classes, it will be re-iterated, again and again, practiced in social dancing, and broken down into basic steps to practice that way.

The only problem I can foresee is if the Bartys speed up, and that is unlikely. If only because they're paid by the hour and they argue all the bloody time!
teagreenaddict

Re:

Postby teagreenaddict on Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:56 am

Oh, and don't worry. No one can dance ballroom until they learn ballroom. It's fairly easy. Ask anyone who went to the trial sessions - I literally taught 'step to the right'. *pause* 'take your left foot and close your feet' *pause* 'and side step with your right foot'.

And showed them. People got *bored* of moving that slowly.
teagreenaddict

Return to Advice Please!