Home

TheSinner.net

St Andrews the most expensive university in scotland

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

St Andrews the most expensive university in scotland

Postby Another on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:11 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7061871.stm

The table runs from cheepest at the top to most expensive at the bottom.
Another

Re:

Postby Midget on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:45 pm

That is appalling, £2.15 in the booze index (way more than virtually every other Uni even some of the London ones!), its no wonder students aren't having so much fun, Jesus Christ, although it does depend how they calculate it, after all a lot more boozing goes on in houses in St Andrews where in other places it would happen in clubs etc, and some St Andrews pubs are frigging ridiculous pricewise while the Union isnt bad. Still its a fucking disgrace.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg new shite
http://edinburgh.threeweeks.co.uk/brows ... 44&cnt=all
Midget

Re:

Postby Gealle on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:01 pm

Is anybody actually surprised though?

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby shaolinmonk on Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:53 pm

I'd rather pay more to come here than to go to Bradford or Dundee, the cheaper options. As with many things in life you get what you pay for. And as said above I don't think anyone coming here would really be surprised by how expensive it is.
shaolinmonk

Re:

Postby Frank on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:21 pm

It might be expensive up here, but it's entirely possible to do St Andrews on the cheap. Well, I say entirely, I mean it is possible, just that it takes effort and getting one of the cheaper places to stay (Albany/Fife).

And discipline. No more lobsters and caviar with your cornflakes!

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Anonymous/b on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:33 am

No more lobsters and caviar with your cornflakes!

this surely has got 2 b true! st-andrews is awesome, ish, and no-one (on the sinner) will deny it (much) but this doesnt mean that it cant be done on the cheap. i find it possible 2 live on abt 10er a wk, as opposed to the £110 that teh papers would have us belv, and still get wrekd every nite and haev a fantastic tiem. it's all abt what u maek of it, not how much u spend on it - sod "u get what u pay 4" - u get what u play 4, and what u pay 4 what u play 4 doesnt maek the slightest bit of difference!
Anonymous/b

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:35 am

Shoot him/her.

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:43 am

I'm actually liking the change in tone!

Luckily for me, My alcahol tolerance has gone to shit of late; so I guess I can have a night out on less drinks.

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:24 am

Where to start? Maybe you should have fewer drinks still, alcohol appears to be affecting your brain.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby jarvis on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:07 am

I was surprised by the cost, although that's my own lack of research more than anything else. What bothers me isn't the high prices so much as the lack of a cheaper option - in Tescos for example I struggle to find any of the Tesco Value range of any product. Not a huge difference for each individual item but after four years it adds up... I've boycotted that Tesco's anyway though, on the graounds that the staff are just plain rude (or have been to me about 85% of the time), I go to Dundee once a week now and my grocery bill has dropped noticeably.
jarvis

Re:

Postby iab2 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:48 am

Quoting jarvis from 11:07, 29th Oct 2007
I go to Dundee once a week now and my grocery bill has dropped noticeably.

But surely your petrol bill has rocketed?

Quoting Anonymous/b from 01:33, 29th Oct 2007
I am the proof that a levels are not dumbed down

[hr]

http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/104233.html
iab2

Re:

Postby Senethro on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:33 pm

Calling bs, getting wrecked alone costs at least £10 unless you're drinking other peoples booze and making yourself popular
Senethro

Re:

Postby jarvis on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:23 pm

no, I go once a week anyway for something else. But even if I didn't it's impossible to use too much fuel going to Dundee, people around here drive 40mph max[img]littleicons/wink.gif[/img]
jarvis

Re:

Postby iab2 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:41 pm

That's true. I call for a campaign to dual the St Andrews to Dundee road! More seriously though, a train link would be nice (I don't drive). Leuchers is just so damn FAR!

Hang on a moment though. I have just re-read your post there and it says you boycot the St Andrews store for rudeness, and go to Dundee instead. I always thought they were just as rude there and usually worse (I should know, I worked in the ASDA there for 3 years). It is the case though that the customers are the worst part of any supermarket. "The customer is always right" is the worst urban legend, encouraging bad behaviour and rudeness.

And what is the "something else" you go through for? Sounds more sordid than merely work. I am curious now, is it a midnight tustle with a dockfront lady then over to Tesco for groceries and mundanities. Perhaps meetings with well-heeled strangers in dank gin-palaces, exchanging secrets for sovereigns? Perhaps something less Victorian? Will we ever know?

Perhaps I shall stop rambling now and cook my tea :)
[hr]

http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/104233.html
iab2

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:49 pm

Quoting iab2 from 18:41, 29th Oct 2007
More seriously though, a train link would be nice (I don't drive). Leuchers is just so damn FAR!

I am sure a rail link from Kincaple to Leuchars would improve things no end.
Al

Re:

Postby flossy on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:51 pm

Cupar Lidl is good for shopping - £4.99 for a lobster, if you're into such things.

Living outside of town, particularly in odd little places like Pitscottie and Pitlessie is way cheaper but obviously public transport is a nightmare.

Personally, one of the reasons I chose St Andrews was because it attracts well off people. Not for husband-hunting, but the fact it gets the same hardship funds as any uni comparable in size but has fewer people requiring it so gives more generous grants.

[hr]

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:49 pm

St Andrews does attract the more well-off people, but can it honestly be said to be marketing itself towards the demographic? Particularly on the accommodation front - it's cheaper to live in Cambridge!

[hr]

...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Anonymous/b on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:07 am

perhaps, but that's just accomodation - st andrews is ridiculously expensive 2 live in!

i mirror the comments abt the lack of tesco-value anywhere 2 b seen! for the extra 20 mins walk morissons makes life a hell of a lot cheaper!

st-andrews doesn't need 2 market itself towards teh more well-off ppl, that seems 2 be a cycle that we're immersed in :(

more choice for the less well off would make it better - 2 many times have good haunts (tudor inn, red reiver etc) been replaced by westport clones - not everyone wants 2 pay over the odds for a good pint!
Anonymous/b

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:21 am

Do you think you could write using English? It would make your posts so much easier to read...

Cheers.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:39 am

Quoting Anonymous/b from 01:07, 30th Oct 2007
2 many times have good haunts (tudor inn, red reiver etc) been replaced by westport clones

I suppose most of you are also too young to remember Golf Place before it was done up, or Ogstons? Though I have just remembered that I've got £35 worth of loyalty point to spend next time I'm up... hmm...

[hr]

Gubbins

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board