Home

TheSinner.net

"For girls eyes only"

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

"For girls eyes only"

Postby Haunted on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:54 am

Wow, so someone forwarded this bizarre email to me (apparently originating from our AU)

"subject: for girls eyes only!!

To all female sports members,

45 Commando in Arbroath have cordially invited us to a party in their Officer's
Mess on Thursday, March 18th. Having just returned from Norway for training the
men are looking for a relaxing evening and have promised us an eventful night
with transport and some alcohol provided. All those interested in attending
will be required to come in fancy dress, the theme is Heaven and Hell. There
will be prizes for the best dressed. Buses will leave St. Andrews at
approximately 7:00 with one bus returning at 2:00am and and a second at 4:00am.
Anyone interested please get back to Stacey on auvp@st-andrews.ac.uk by Friday,
February 26th as there are limited spaces available and transport needs to be
arranged. Any questions can be directed to Stacey or Elaine on
au@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Stacey Coffin
Athletic Union Vice-President"
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re: "For girls eyes only"

Postby Senethro on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:55 pm

lol so what happened? she got a directive from higher powers to provide some meat?
Senethro

Postby Haunted on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:05 pm

It does sound a bit rapey.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby stripedtights on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:40 pm

when i read it i took it to mean" men desperatly wanting free shags"
"he who hides his private parts will never have children(or fun)"
stripedtights

Postby Senethro on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:58 pm

~support our brave boys~
Senethro

Postby Cain on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:28 pm

This was my second thought.

The first was "ick"

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby ojk6 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Perhaps the principal will ban the use of .ac.uk emails promoting such activities "from which so many of our students are excluded at birth".
ojk6

Postby Senethro on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:24 pm

ojk6 wrote:Perhaps the principal will ban the use of .ac.uk emails promoting such activities "from which so many of our students are excluded at birth".

are you seriously using this thread to take a jab at political correctness? did someone shut down your special boys/whites only club?
Senethro

Postby d_24 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:38 pm

They don't call it an Officer's Mess for nothing
Before Bauer...There Was House
d_24

Postby We win you lose on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Senethro wrote:
ojk6 wrote:Perhaps the principal will ban the use of .ac.uk emails promoting such activities "from which so many of our students are excluded at birth".

are you seriously using this thread to take a jab at political correctness? did someone shut down your special boys/whites only club?

As you (and anyone else) damn well knows, what he was doing was illustrating the fact that a university-associated official is discriminating against certain members of the community (men, straight or otherwise) by inviting only women to this event. This is exactly the same thing for which Dr Richardson banned the KK. If the Principal doesn't step in on this issue she exposes herself as a class warrior, radical feminist, and a hypocrite.

Also, if this is true, you've basically got a sabbatical officer acting as a pimp for a bunch of squaddies. If some uni girls want to make mistakes, they shouldn't get official assistance for it.

As for the clubs: I have bad news for you. When you grow up, you may be lucky or smart enough to get a real job in a large European capital city. In that environment, the guys who were members of these little clubs make themselves wealthier using the contacts in their clubs and social circles. Also, they join larger private clubs organized on similar lines and they have a ton of fun doing so.

We win. You lose.
We win you lose

Postby MelissaL on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:46 am

You know what, I *hope* the Principal comes down on this. I think it was completely inappropriate to use an official university medium for this message. I really hope there's some consequences for this offensive advert.

Yes, I find it offensive to use any university's sporting community for effectively pimping for girls. If that wasn't the original intention of the email, it should have been written much much differently, or just in an entirely different medium. Heck, the Sinner would be an appropriate place for the message, not the official forum for student athletes.
MelissaL

Postby donpablo on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:58 am

Agreed. If that is genuine then it is pretty disgusting and person(s) involved should be removed right away. Headers? Forward to principle? Lynch mob? I cannot see what other intention there was for that email unless someone is very very stupid and naive. Recipe for rape. Boo 45 Commando!
donpablo

Postby Senethro on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:17 am

We win you lose wrote:
Senethro wrote:

As you (and anyone else) damn well knows, what he was doing was illustrating the fact that a university-associated official is discriminating against certain members of the community (men, straight or otherwise) by inviting only women to this event. This is exactly the same thing for which Dr Richardson banned the KK. If the Principal doesn't step in on this issue she exposes herself as a class warrior, radical feminist, and a hypocrite.

The third maybe, but why are you trying to pin class warrior and radical feminist on her based off a hypothetical reaction to this incident?

Also why do you think its more important to discuss the perceived slight against your male privilege...

Also, if this is true, you've basically got a sabbatical officer acting as a pimp for a bunch of squaddies. If some uni girls want to make mistakes, they shouldn't get official assistance for it.

... than this. This is the real issue. While I'm sure the whole event will have security etc as the military is not keen on public relations fuckups, the email was still somewhat strange!

Of course, even your choice of words here is interesting. I'm sure you'd feel different if it were officers and not squaddies.

As for the clubs: I have bad news for you. When you grow up, you may be lucky or smart enough to get a real job in a large European capital city. In that environment, the guys who were members of these little clubs make themselves wealthier using the contacts in their clubs and social circles. Also, they join larger private clubs organized on similar lines and they have a ton of fun doing so.

We win. You lose.

Aha, an excuse for you to thumb your nose about winning the birth lottery. What a class act. (hurr geddit?) So not only are you going to whine at not getting equal treatment for your historically privileged group at university, you're telling us how you're all going to favour each other when you leave. Looks like you're the hypocrite, huh?

The idea that the only jobs worth having are in big cities, by which you mean The City, is just another check on the list of attitudes held by right wing douchebags.

What an utter twat you are. I hope you do some work for the Conservative party sometime as you're the type to run your mouth with some choice phrases in the hearing of a journalist.
Senethro

Postby SonOfRooney on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Go for it girls. As a man (someone that apparently won the birth lottery) I think it would be a pretty good night out. I'm sure you can all look after yourselves. If theres any doubters, let's turn it around - there would be a completely different reaction if the British Ballet School asked for a collection of male students to take some of their students away for a pre-arranged and completely legitimate night out. As for feminism?

Boo-hoo, please grow up.
SonOfRooney

Postby stripedtights on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:08 pm

one of my female friends thinks this is a great idea. She also said that it was very important of army men to be able to relax. So im sure the 45th will get some company..

but they havent been in a warzone, they havent had bullets fired at them, they havent been under extreme pressure watching thier comrades die. They went to norway.
"he who hides his private parts will never have children(or fun)"
stripedtights

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:19 am

SonOfRooney wrote:Go for it girls. As a man (someone that apparently won the birth lottery) I think it would be a pretty good night out. I'm sure you can all look after yourselves. If theres any doubters, let's turn it around - there would be a completely different reaction if the British Ballet School asked for a collection of male students to take some of their students away for a pre-arranged and completely legitimate night out. As for feminism?

Boo-hoo, please grow up.

Uhm. Women serve in the army, too, you know? And I'm sure at least some of the men are gay. Screw the whole don't-ask-don't tell policy. It should have been open to anyone wanting some action with a man (or woman) in uniform.

Although, the whole pimping-service seems a tad strange to me.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby SonOfRooney on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:32 am

RedCelt69 wrote:
SonOfRooney wrote:Go for it girls. As a man (someone that apparently won the birth lottery) I think it would be a pretty good night out. I'm sure you can all look after yourselves. If theres any doubters, let's turn it around - there would be a completely different reaction if the British Ballet School asked for a collection of male students to take some of their students away for a pre-arranged and completely legitimate night out. As for feminism?

Boo-hoo, please grow up.

Uhm. Women serve in the army, too, you know? And I'm sure at least some of the men are gay. Screw the whole don't-ask-don't tell policy. It should have been open to anyone wanting some action with a man (or woman) in uniform.

You're right, and yes, I actually do know. Women do serve in the army. But they didn't ask for (for example) 97 girls and 3 guys. And I'm sure if you asked nicely you would be more than welcome to go along and hang out with the minority of women/homosexual members of the army.

Please let me do a bit of feminist arse covering - I'm not saying that is the ratio of males to females in the army, it just seems to be a pretty good guess at the numbers in my eyes (phew, lucky I remembered to clarify!)
SonOfRooney

Postby We win you lose on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:42 am

Senethro wrote:
Aha, an excuse for you to thumb your nose about winning the birth lottery. What a class act. (hurr geddit?) So not only are you going to whine at not getting equal treatment for your historically privileged group at university, you're telling us how you're all going to favour each other when you leave. Looks like you're the hypocrite, huh?

The idea that the only jobs worth having are in big cities, by which you mean The City, is just another check on the list of attitudes held by right wing douchebags.

Senethro, what many people who didn't win the birth lottery (although, I think anyone who was born in Britain won the birth lottery, but never mind) fail to realise is that I don't care who favours whom in St Andrews.

Do I care if a bunch of girls march on over to 45 Commando for a night of revelry? No.

Do I frankly care if they do so and a few of them find themselves in a sticky situation? No, not my problem.

Do I care about any private group of students exercising their freedom of association from discriminating against any other group of students for any reason whatsoever? No.

In fact, I don't give a rat's ass if a group of fifty girls band together and form a group that only girls can join- let's call it "The 45 Commando Shag Club" given the theme of the current discussion- nor do I care if fifty guys from Aberdeen form the "Aberdeen is awesome club" and only Aberdonians can join, or a bunch of Chinese people decide to leave their rooms to form the Year of the Dragon Club and only Chinese students can join. Some JYAs from South Carolina could even rock over and decide to open up a local chapter of the Klan for all I care, as long as they don't set anything on fire. I definitely don't care about the fact that the KK admits only men and dresses up in a slightly fruity way from time to time, even if they meet up in the Quad before they do it. DO. NOT. GIVE. A. DAMN.

I do care, however, about making Principal Richardson look bad. This is because I think that her position on the KK is completely, utterly, irredeemably, monumentally and ineffably irresponsible and senseless, not to mention plain stupid. It alienates some wealthy uni alumni and is a position which she was pushed towards by god knows who. It makes absolutely no sense. To deign to try to regulate perfectly lawful conduct which does no harm to anyone, and which certain students do without asking for any undue support, serves only to degrade the office she holds. Does she seriously think that students should be allowed to have a shaving foam fight on the quad, but that a bunch of other students can't use it to assemble before a parade? Give me a break, woman.

So, if she doesn't crack down on this e-mail, she should instantly reverse her decision on the KK. If she wants to try to regulate private student conduct and freedom of association with the gender equality game, she has to play it all the time, or not at all. I think that if she wants to play it all the time she will find that she's unable to keep up with the demands such an exercise calls for. Why not gender equality on all-male sports teams? Or the annual show of the Vagina Monologues? Where should it end?

Senethro wrote:What an utter twat you are. I hope you do some work for the Conservative party sometime as you're the type to run your mouth with some choice phrases in the hearing of a journalist.

The point I'm making is that when people leave the bubble and move on to the real world, I suspect they go on to make any associations they like, hold any opinions they wish and find people who share those opinions; they band together with those like people; and the State is fortunately (mercifully) barred from interfering in our private affairs... and there is nothing you can do about it.
We win you lose

Postby blue3 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:24 am

RedCelt69 wrote:Uhm. Women serve in the army, too, you know? And I'm sure at least some of the men are gay. Screw the whole don't-ask-don't tell policy. It should have been open to anyone wanting some action with a man (or woman) in uniform.

But there already are men going to the party? the whole point of the night was as part of a community outreach to encourage relations between civilians and the army. However they clearly already have enough males and so in order to make this a good party inviting girls to balance out the ratio seemed to make sense.

Senethro wrote:Also, if this is true, you've basically got a sabbatical officer acting as a pimp for a bunch of squaddies.

Of course, even your choice of words here is interesting. I'm sure you'd feel different if it were officers and not squaddies.

Also I have it on good authority that this event is being run for the officers not the squadies

I am not saying I necessarily agree with the event but it's probably best to get the full facts about something before slandering it.
blue3

Postby jollytiddlywink on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 am

RedCelt69 wrote:

Boo-hoo, please grow up.

Don't ask don't tell is policy in the US armed forces... they, alone out of all NATO members, prohibit gay and lesbian personnel from serving openly. The British armed forces allow openly gay and lesbian personnel to serve, and do one better: the RN, for example, has for several years had a recruiting operation running at London Pride.
jollytiddlywink

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board