Home

TheSinner.net

How shall we scare the new freshers?

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

How shall we scare the new freshers?

Postby little missy on Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:26 pm

I know its a bit early to be doing this but I figure if I don't do it when I think of it then it'll get to September and not be done. Anyway.

If anyone has any good ideas for what to put in next years freshers RockSoc newsletter (articles, pictures, cartoons, anything that can be printed on paper) can you please let me know so I can sift through the shit and find something decent to put in :-) Even if its just the germ of an idea, tell me and I'll see what I can come up with.
little missy

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:15 am

well we don't want to scare off freshers too early, otherwise it'll spoil the fun for the rest of the year. welcome them all in & then spend the remainder of the year scaring them.

anyway. i think that in the newsletter the letters 'NWOBHM' in that order should be avoided being used any more than once. i think for next year there needn't be such an (or any) emphasis on alienating followers of nu-metal.

highlight the diversity of RockSoc, maybe advertise the Hallowe'en thingy even(?). attract more goths as there just ain't enough. i guess the Alice Cooper trip of last year could be mentionned & described by someone who went, as that seemed to go down pretty well. maybe a brief & witty history of RockSoc could be written(?).

in addition: one thing i was impressed with before i came to St Andy's last year was the RockSoc advert in the societies booklet. just the listing of a load of familiar bands (& a couple of not so) was good to see. it worked well to whet the appetite for Rock.

also will a link to the RockSoc website, or even the RockSoc message board, be listed in the societies booklet? in which case it'd be good to update Jamie's Week 8(!) message on the website as early as possible. forward thinking prospective RockSoc brethren may not be overly impressed otherwise. good to see that the committee section has already been updated.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby little missy on Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:34 am

Thanks Benedict, I knew I could count on you!

Just one point though: the deadline for the societies booklet has passed, so thanks for the helpful suggestions but they're a bit late! We are doing the list of bands thing again though.

If you feel like writing any sort of said witty articles for the newsletter please don't resist the urge, and e-mail them to me at hjc4 :-) (don't worry, I won't put them in if they're really bad).

That particular order of letters of which you speak will not be making a large appearance and of course Nu-metalites will be as welcome as the rest of 'em.
little missy

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:49 am

hmm, i didn't take part in much of the RockSoc things last year. didn't see Mr Cooper, generally mis-spent Hallowe'en & even most of the RockSoc's i spent much of my time down in the main bar. i could probably write something like a 1st year's overview of a year in RockSoc, which could detail the various benfits of being in the RockSoc family. if that sounded like a sound enough idea then i could attempt something like that?

on a vaguely related note, back in the RockSoc board archives there's this thread:

http://www.thesinner.co.uk/messageboard ... hread=1789

did it ever take place? i never noticed it happen myself. but got me thinking as to whether some kind of similar informal meeting of this kind could be done at the start of next year. afterall if you turn up to the 1st RockSoc of the year & are a shy sort & don't end up speaking to any folk in the 1st half hour than it could put RockSoc members (or potentials) off turning up too often.

the start of the year, maybe within a week or so of the Societies fayre, seems like a good time if such a thing was organised. could be a bit like the Sinner get togethers that took place last year & proved to be pretty successful.

Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby brizbaz on Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:33 pm

I've got a couple of pics of Jez (X-Machina drumming topless type) in womens clothes, that'd scare them off.

[hr]http://pub55.ezboard.com/bkerosenecommunity or LINK:mailto:brizbraz@hotmail.com to find out what's on in Dundee!
brizbaz

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:53 pm

'I've got a couple of pics of Jez (X-Machina drumming topless type) in womens clothes, that'd scare them off.'

good plan.

i wrote out a few very short descriptions of things like the RockSoc disco & Hallowe'en ball which would give Fresher's a vague clue of what to expect to happen in RockSoc & roughly where to find RockSoc corner (unless someone's gone & moved it). if that could be of any use then tell me where to e-mail it.

side point: will the Fresher's newsletter be different to the general RockSoc newsletter or are they the same thing?

Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:45 am

I found that a good way to get freshers in is to mention their favourite band in the literature. So name every band. All of them.

You also must include a picture of a sheep, as is traditional.
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby Scunthorpe on Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:38 pm

It might be still possible to add things to the Freasher's boolket as the deadline isn't usually set in stone. Perhaps trying linkups with other uni Rocksoc's across the country and dates for club nights and stuff.

Other options for scaring them could inculde importing me, as we don't start until October. God it's far too quiet down here.

[hr]The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
Scunthorpe

Re:

Postby little missy on Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:16 am

'generally mis-spent Hallowe'en & even most of the RockSoc's i spent much of my time down in the main bar'

If you could tell us (the council) why that was the case that would be very helpful. A room full of people sitting round tables tightly knitted into their own social circles not welcoming enough for you?

'i could probably write something like a 1st year's overview of a year in RockSoc'

Yes, please do that. I can't guarantee it'll go in, but since i don't have anything else yet then theres a damn good chance :-)

'some kind of similar informal meeting of this kind could be done at the start of next year'

I had a look at that, yeah not a bad idea. I know I was too nervous to go up to rocksoc corner for about half of my first year, despite knowing a couple of people.

the start of the year, maybe within a week or so of the Societies fayre, seems like a good time if such a thing was organised

I actually just got an e-mail saying that they were trying to make orientation week bigger and better by having societies do little mini-events through the week, so theres a plan in genesis

i wrote out a few very short descriptions of things like the RockSoc disco & Hallowe'en ball which would give Fresher's a vague clue of what to expect to happen in RockSoc & roughly where to find RockSoc corner (unless someone's gone & moved it).

The students Union isn't that big, do they really need directions?! How about 'the couches and tables with all the rocky type people sitting down'. Occasionally Rocksoc moves about, like when the footie's on (grr!)and sometimes for no reason at all. Anyway, yes, I'll have whatever you've got if you don't mind.

Nice one Ben, you're a veritable fount of ideas - keep 'em coming :-)
little missy

Re:

Postby little missy on Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:21 am

Ive got a couple of pics of Jez (X-Machina drumming topless type) in womens clothes, that'd scare them off

Heh, are they better than my pictures of him wearing nothing but pink and black PVC body wrap? And make up.

Stick em on the website anyway - e-mail them to Oli Walker

The freshers booklet is just the first rocksoc newsletter of the year (which is the first taste the freshers get of rocksoc), you can e-mail any articles and stuff for the newsletter to me at hjc4.

Cheers
little missy

It's a tradition....

Postby Colin Seaton on Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:36 am

Wow.. the sheep's a tradition now.. I only started it as desparate way to fill space in book.. (and I had shit clip art as shown by the fact that for three years I used the same pictures in pretty much the same order over the years...)
Colin Seaton

Come on you guys, don't neglect the website

Postby Jamie Thomas on Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:19 pm

I was a bit dissapointed to see that no-one on the new committee's bothered to change the website message. Thanks for pointing it out, Benedict.

Obviously I've been unable to update it since May, because I'm neither on the committee nor even a student anymore.

Come on, new committee - get yer house in order ;)

BTW, Mark and Hannah, if you don't know hopw to change the message, you just email a new one to oli@jumpingduck.com making clear it's a new message for the rocksoc website.

Regards,

Red Jamie
Jamie Thomas

Re:

Postby Jamie Thomas on Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:24 pm

Oh, and BTW, there's already a review of the Alice Cooper gig, which was printed in the semester 2 newsletter. But I'd be happy for you to use it again.

Also, just for the record, the only reason NWOBHM was mentioned more than once was because almost no-one else got their arses in gear and contibuted any articles, even when they promised they were going to, so that left me to talk a bout the music genres I know most about.

Sorry if I sound a bit vitriolic. It's just my way, and I can say what I like now because I'm not president anymore. Ho ho.

Seriously though I'm sure this next year will be great. I just hope the union are a bit more friendly to us this year. We really got d*cked about by them last year, which is a bit rude considering the amount of money they must make on the bar at an average rocksoc.

Regards,

Red Jamie
Jamie Thomas

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:54 pm

'If you could tell us (the council) why that was the case that would be very helpful. A room full of people sitting round tables tightly knitted into their own social circles not welcoming enough for you?'

i was just a little mental that night & so i didn't talk to anyone really.

i tried to write a 1st year's overview but it proved quite difficult. i'll send the other thing i typed out over. i doubt it'll be useful but it'll be there if be-needed.

if anyone thinks of anything that may need to be written or at least something that might as well be written but doesn't have the time then i'd be happy to help out in any way i could.

i must say i liked the references to NWOBHM last year. after all you don't get much more rock than that. i was just jesting about not mentionning it too many times ;)

Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:28 am

just managed to root out & actually find my Fresher's booklet from last year. there are a fair number of reviews of Lps & a few short live reviews. if you're short of a review feel free to include either of mine on The Sinner providing it doesn't contravene Sinner rules or anything. on the subject, Cloud & Endemoniada's reviews were both very good.

i'll try & keep my subconscious awake & try & think of some more possibilities. i guess there's always the obvious things like wordsearches or quizes. the RockSoc Fresher's booklet last year had three opening articles, i presume Mark'll be adding another one this year. what i'd like to see in there, simply to satiate my own curiosity, would be for someone to write a history of RockSoc, though i guess this would be rather difficult to do maybe.

Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Simon on Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:15 am

A history of Rocksoc? Hmmm, could be done as a joint effort. I'm willing to chip in for the early years and I'm sure Granpa Graeme could help too. We were both there at the start after all....

Simon

----
Maybe I'm paranoid, but that's my problem. Almost have to be when you look like me - Chromakey
Simon

Re:

Postby little missy on Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:41 am

Not meaning to reveal ther great disorganisedness of the council, but who's in charge of the website anyway? Editor? Publicity? Secretary? President?

Answers on a postcard please.
little missy

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:21 am

Oli "of The Sinner fame" Walker is the official webmaster of the RockSoc site i believe.

last year Jamie as president, sensibly enough, updated the front page with a new message every RockSoc or so. so i guess it would make sense if Mark put something down in words at some point. however i guess anyone on the committee could in theory write an opening message & e-mail it to Oli.

Blessed Benediction

the sheep

Postby charlie on Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:15 pm

i just cut out your sheep picture from your previous booklet, colin, and i think (although i'm not sure) that nick did the same from my booklet. this raises the question of whether it is a.n. sheep that is traditional, or this particular sheep.
charlie

Re:

Postby Mark on Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Yes, yes, I know. Website front page. I sent a load of updates about a month ago, but...(and there's always a but...), I sent them to the wrong address, and due to nightmarish work schedule etc, haven't actually been online since. So by the time you read this, the website should have received new info PROPERLY, and everything will be in order.

Jamie- mostly fair, but in our defence, a fair few people had sent info to Danny, or had it stored on computers waiting to be sent. If you'd got the stuff Danny HAD been sent off him, and/or mentioned to anyone that you were making the newsletter yourself, it might not have been quite so desultory. Just a thought :)

First Rocksoc of the new year is Thursday of Fresher's Week. So get your thinking hats on for anything we could do to spice it up. I've got a few plans of my own which I'm holding close to my chest, but any suggestions would be appreciated (and possibly even listened to).

Adios, my society.

MARK
(Presidential Gopher)

Oh, and anyone who mentions NWOBHM to me at Rocksoc this year will be shot on sight. No, this year's obsession will be with the Rolling Stones. Look out for the Mick'n'Keef themed Freshers' Booklet, special photo suplements to be handed out at Rocksoc discos, mandatory playing of 'Brown Sugar' and 'Jumping Jack Flash' in every DJ slot of every Rocksoc (complete with Presidential Punishments for anyone who doesn't dance enthusiastically)...moo hoo ha ha.
Mark

Next

Return to Rocksoc