Home

TheSinner.net

Are all Americans hated?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Are all Americans hated?

Postby JZ on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I'm an American who is coming to study at St. Andrew's next year. My question is this: will it automatically be assumed that I am only there because I want to marry the prince and my family is wealthy? Neither of those is true...I would much rather William wasn't going there because I'm sure it's going to affect my experience negatively, and my parents and I are working incredibly hard so I can come over. I'd hate to think everyone will be suspicious of my intentions and have all sorts of false assumptions about my values.
I realize a lot of Americans there are probably well-off and probably very annoying, but am I going to fight an uphill battle because of things I can not control? Should I pretend to be Canadian?
JZ

Not to worry

Postby Emma on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

If you don't act like a spoiled brat and walk around talking loudly about how much better everything is in America I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine. Some of us will even talk to you in public if you are nice enough.
Emma

I Agree, There's No Reason To Worry

Postby Nick on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Admittedly there may well be a good number of people who are going to join St.Andrews next year because of William's choice. However, they will not just be American, they'll be from all over the UK, as well as many other places, including Canada, where the Prince was given quite a welcome when he visited a while ago.

Generally tha Americans here are quite well-off, I have heard that it costs a fortune for you guys, but then those that I've met were all pretty cool, if a little loud.

Don't come to St.Andrews expecting or preparing for an
uphill-struggle, take it as it comes. If someone thinks that you're there for William, let them deal with it - its their problem for making automatic assumptions. Plus I don't think that many people will be like that anyway.

I doubt that William will have a negative effect on your experience; certainly it will be a different town from last year what with all the press and the inevitable entourage he will have; but that does not mean that you can't enjoy yourself as much as we have this year; in fact I don't see how you can be prevented from doing that. As far as I'm concerned, this place will definitely be worth coming to next year.

I wouldn't worry, just enjoy the summer and wait 'til you get there.
Nick

Re:

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

44% increase in applications...you wont be alone in being suspected of ulterior motives!
Anonymous

Just a clarification

Postby bonnie on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Nick, thank you for being supportive to my fellow American JZ, but I wanted to clarify something. Yes it does cost about $18,000 (about 12,600 pounds) including tuition, r+b, personal expense, travel, etc to attend St. Andrews every year, which is quite a large sum. I can understand why you would think most Americans are rich in order to afford it. However, a similar education with a similar reputation costs about TWICE as much in America! Fordham University would have cost me over $32,000 (22,400 pounds) a year plus travel, books, personal expenses, etc! So, just to give you all some perspective. Americans who go to St. Andrews aren't necessarily rich (believe me I'm not- I'm working fifty hours per week to come over), just maybe smarter and more resourceful than those who chose to spend so much on a similar education in America.
bonnie

Do you have toilet paper in America?

Nick, thank you for being supportive to my fellow American JZ, but I wanted to clarify something. Yes it does cost about $18,000 (about 12,600 pounds) including tuition, r+b, personal expense, travel, etc to attend St. Andrews every year, which is quite a large sum. I can understand why you would think most Americans are rich in order to afford it. However, a similar education with a similar reputation costs about TWICE as much in America! Fordham University would have cost me over $32,000 (22,400 pounds) a year plus travel, books, personal expenses, etc! So, just to give you all some perspective. Americans who go to St. Andrews aren't necessarily rich (believe me I'm not- I'm working fifty hours per week to come over), just maybe smarter and more resourceful than those who chose to spend so much on a similar education in America.
Anonymous

Yes

Postby Bonnie on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

We have everything from that almost construction paper like cheap stuff that scratches to Charmin extra soft which is almost like wiping your butt with silk! (not that I've ever tried or anything) [laugh, laugh, laugh] Hey I guess we shouldn't be so ornery over the cost of education here- at least we have schools of highter education unlike some places in the world where most people don't get past a fourth grade education, right?
Bonnie

Costs

Postby Edward on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

But cost restricts access to those who can afford it. To be honest, I do have a problem with the number of Americans at St Andrews, but not because I particularly dislike them.

St Andrews University is wildly in debt. The Gateway will prove that. Now, who do you think the University is going to want, an American (or any other non-EU resident) who pays $12,000 as you pointed out, or a guy from a very poor family who has his £1000 tuition fees paid for him by the government?

The fact is, every American student brings in at least $10,000 more than a student from the UK.

That restricts access for poor British students to a top British university, hindering their life chance, and I think that is wrong.

Sorry.
Edward

Correction

My eyes decieved me!!!

It actually costs Americas 12,000 pounds not dollars, so the university gets £11,000 more per American.

Surely this stregthens my point?

Oh, and to the American who posts here, please don't take this the wrong way. I would give you as warm a welcome as anyone. But surel you can see my point as well?
Edward

Re:

but (stop me if i'm wrong) actually, doesn't the poor honest little boy also in theory pay £11 000, the governments subsidising the last 10? i mean it costs more to run a university than what they would make from a thousand per person. free education (which, obviously is not free, but the idea anyway) does not mean that education is cheaper in the UK, just that it is paid for by the state (rather by the stolen, hard earned cash of the wealthy. digression.)
Anonymous

Nope

Nope, British students pay £1050. That is all. And yes, if you are poor, the state pays it. The point is that Americans will pay £12,000, regardless. So that means that the University will want more Americans in order to get more money, thus limiting the places availiable to British students.

Is that clear enough????
Edward

Re:

Postby monkeymadness on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

yes but taking that further if the state pays then so do we all by paying taxes-i dont want an arguement just pointing it out.
monkeymadness

Tax Payers

Not that there is anything wrong with those who can afford it paying for those who can't. It just creates a fairer society, with equal opportunity.
Edward

Re:

Postby JZ on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

We actually run into a similar problem in America where there are state versus private colleges. Students who are residents of my state, for example, pay about $8,000 a year for tuition at my university while students from out of state pay around $30,000(I do attend a pretty prestigious midwestern state university, but when people from New York City make up entire residence halls, it gets kind of ridiculous). In any case, I'd like to think that as a JYA, I'm not taking any first-year's spot. Doesn't the university set aside a particular number of spots especially for overseas students? I do understand what the problem with so many Americans may be, I feel the same about mediocre out of state students who displace incredibly intelligent in-state students at my university. But isn't it different for the people that just come and stay for a year?
JZ

JYA Students

To begin with, in the UK, I don't believe that there are any 'state-run' universities. They used to recieve grants and funding from the government, but as far as I am aware that was halted and replaced, to a certain extent with tuition fees which only came in three years ago.

As for your question about allocating a certain number of places for foreign students, to be honest I'm not sure. I would imagine that as JYA or JSA goes, there are a certain number of places. But then there are an equal number of foreign students here for the long haul (i.e to recieve honours from St Andrews) and they are the ones who, I feel, may well be prefered to students paying up to £11,000 less than them a year - which adds up to £44,000 over four years.

But as I said, please don't take this as an anti-American, or anyone else for that matter, thread. I'm simply making a point. :)
Edward

Re:

yeah right the uni. would kick out all english people if it could get more money-hence the "i dont care if the students dont want two 15 week terms thats what they are getting" arguement.
Anonymous

I stand corrected

Postby Nick on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Replying to the 28th June message; you guys pay a hell of a lot for your Uni, it may be a coincidence that the Amaricans I've met are wealthy, in anyt case, it is no way to judge people and please believe me that I was not saying that the Americans at St.Andrews are all minted. Man, foreign keyboards are a nightmare!
Nick

I understand how you feel

Postby Sean on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I wouldn't worry about coming as an American. I am a 4 year American student and have been received wonderfully. I have found that if you are friendly and don't mind a jab or two from the Brits (be sure to give them a few back and they'll respect you more) you should be fine. And as far a being rich goes... there are a hell of a lot of rich Brits here too. If you want I can name quite a few. Don't let them get to you. There are many wonderful people here. I'm glad you're coming (and for the right reasons too).
Sean

A couple of answers

Postby Yo-Yo on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

JZ,
Americans actually add quite a lot to the University of St. Andrews. What makes St. Andrews great, I believe, is that it carries such a cosmopolitan atmosphere. There isn't really an 'in-crowd' and there is always a potential to creat your own niche. Some answers to your questions are written in the newly revised 'Disorientation Manual' re-edited by Carson Moss(an American from DC). It offers a lot of helpful information.
About the JYA thing. Getting into St. Andrews as a JYA is a pretty easy task, you only have to apply and beat out the rest of the applicants from your particular school. The competition individually is pretty slim and the class sizes within the University are built to sustain an added number of pupils.
On tuition: Americans stand to pay £7,900 pounds (I believe... guessing on the usual 400-600 pound increase per annum) for one year's tuition. Hall fees are extra. I don't know how much they currently are.
If you were trying to get into the University as a first year from abroad, you will have an uphill battle. The University is notoriously hard to get into from the States, despite what some people may tell you or despite some of the Americans you may meet who are actually studying here. :-) The entry rate is very low and it doesn't take away from any of the British entrants because the UK government has it set up so that there are a minimum number of students required to attend this fine University(providing they meet the entrance requirements laid out by the University) Only the University can accept or deny entry and they will be very sure not to do either on the basis of a quota. So you are not taking away from a British student.
Come on over and I hope you have a great time! And take heed what a couple of the previous statements were about... mainly the one about the Brit's making fun of you... it is almost always good-natured.. and try and get a few back at them! :-)
Yo-Yo

Dear Americans,

Postby Tom Plant on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Without wanting to sound like a university propaganda machine, I'm sure you'll love it here. I have never met an American student who has not. And at the end of the day, if you tire of our British parochialism, you will always find plenty of fellow Americans to play with. Good luck!
Tom Plant

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board