Home

TheSinner.net

Has Raisin weekend got madder, or tamer?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Has Raisin weekend got madder, or tamer?

Postby sheltered life on Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:25 pm

How did people think this year's Raisin weekend compared to past years?

I'm a 3rd year, so have seen the last 2 years. I got the impression that this year, general parties and behaviour was much more reckless than before. The parties I went to the last couple of years, though full of fun and silly games and some mild drunken behaviour, seemed pretty responsible and good natured. Whereas this year, I saw a lot more outrageous behaviour. I saw many piles of vomit on the streets,(Including a huge one of the Pepto-Bismol pink colour near the O.T.C. building, can anyone claim responsibility for that?). Similarly, I saw many students staggering drunk around the streets, and the party I went to was horrendous.

I personally have never been to a party quite as devastating as this one. I probably shouldn't name the place, but it seemed like everybody in St And. was there. They were drinking alcohol through hose pipes dangling from the top floor to the front door step. I can't believe more people don't die either from the alcohol, of the irresponsicble behaviour it induces.

However, my friend told me that the party was pretty tame compared to previous years. So I'm wondering, if I have just been going to the quiet parties in the past, or was it much more mad this year?
sheltered life

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:45 pm

Oh my - now i feel bad! coz that was the party my kids threw for their kids! I have to say - only two forfeits involved drinking through that hosepipe. Plus is there anything wrong with drinking from a hosepipe three floors up?!
And not everyone at the party was drinking. I pride myself in being a good grandmother - if someone didnt want to drink or take part in any of the games/forfeits they didnt have to!
Plus the party was pretty tame - we didnt have anyone passed out or throwing up in the house so we must have done something right in looking after the kids!
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:20 pm

Oh God.

I'd forgotten about the hosepipe. Thanks. Ugh, headache.

I thought that this year was better than last year, but not as good as the previous two years.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:01 am

You lot should consider yourselves lucky! The party I was at had various highlights, but the most..informative...was a heated - and highly factual - debate on the Kings of Scotland. Not quite what I was expecting, to say the least, given my experiences of raisin weekend last year. That said, it got more raucous later, but this was decidedly odd.

Any other unusual things happen at parties?
Kizzy

Re:

You lot should consider yourselves lucky! The party I was at had various highlights, but the most..informative...was a heated - and highly factual - debate on the Kings of Scotland. Not quite what I was expecting, to say the least, given my experiences of raisin weekend last year. That said, it got more raucous later, but this was decidedly odd.

Kizzy

Re:

Kizzy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:22 am

Such as three seperate debates on the monarchy of scotland? Nothing quite that strange..
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Thalia on Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:12 am

Lol, was the hosepipe thing in DRH cos my next door neighbour told me he saw people from DRH drinking alcohol through a hosepipe from the top floor - at the time i thought they just sounded rather desperate for alcohol though i suppose a dare sounds like a bit of a better excuse for it ^_-
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby sheltered life on Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:10 pm

The party I was speaking of was in a flat just down the road from The Raisin pub.

At that party, guys were taping sanitary towels to their fronts, and soaking tampons in tomato juice, and making daring their academic kids to suck the juice out, among other "funny" pranks being played. I think that is absolutely horrible. I also believe it was the home of the guy seen singing "badger, badger" on the raisin roundabout. By later, people were having sex on the landing and in the kitchen of this flat. Do people have NO shame?
sheltered life

Re:

Postby tintin on Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:15 pm

Mate, if you don't like the party, you don't have to stay. Alcohol (and its sorry consequences) will always be a feature of student parties.
tintin

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:52 pm

Ours was so much more genteel than that- we had food, only one person got drunk (he drank half a bottle in the first 20 minutes when we weren't looking) and watched weird and random net filum clips on the computer. We had geeky fun though!

That one does sound fairly horrendous, and I wouldn't have stuck around.
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:55 pm

[s]Unregisted User sheltered life wrote on 08:41, 26th Nov 2003:
The party I was speaking of was in a flat just down the road from The Raisin pub.

At that party, guys were taping sanitary towels to their fronts, and soaking tampons in tomato juice, and making daring their academic kids to suck the juice out, among other "funny" pranks being played. I think that is absolutely horrible. I also believe it was the home of the guy seen singing "badger, badger" on the raisin roundabout. By later, people were having sex on the landing and in the kitchen of this flat. Do people have NO shame?

AHEM please do not lie about the party.
Noone was having sex on the landing or in the kitchen. If you class sex as kissing i guess thats true but somehow i think you may be exagerating.
Plus considering you were there from about 3 (when the tampon dares were being executed) until about 9.30 when we all left to go to the pubs then the party couldnt have been that bad.
As i said before - i looked after people at that party - noone drank or did dares that didnt feel comfortable doing them.
If people chose to take part in drinking or games or both what right do you have to judge them?
Plus im pretty sure that it was a tame party compare to some of the stories ive heard from some of my mates about the parties they went to!
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:18 pm

I completely agree with PurelySynthetic, it was all in the spirit of raisin sunday and it was a great party in that noone was seriously ill, it didnt end in disaster and everyone (maybe apart from sheltered life) had a good time. And noone was having sex in the kitchen. I think i would know if i did :P

Noone was made to do anything they didnt want.
Setsuna

IT'S JUST BANTER!!!

Postby Rob on Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:32 pm

Aye. I live there. Over the day, there's only 2 events that i know of:

1/ someone broke a plate. boo hoo
2/ one person threw up. he was taken care of.

So there. There was no sexual malarky conducted. I'd know. No one was singing about badgers on the roundabout, and what if they had been? There was someone holding a sign saying badgers on it though at that roundabout. The person in question doesnt live here though.

Finnally, you were most welcome to attend, and i'm glad you did, but do you actually know any of the residents, or where you here by association?

If you'd like to talk further on the matter i'm more than happy to meet you to discuss it in civilised terms.
Rob

tamer

Postby beardedwonder on Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:49 pm

there is no question, raisin weekend has got tamer, in my day )(*^*%$^**)(&)(*&(***%$£::<@}?> but i was VERY VERY drunk mmm.
_(*%£&*$&:<>@:>:>
just not enough lotus eaters these days
@:>?<)*()&%£"%)(*_
grades to get in too high
#';.,#';,)(*&)
used to be much more debauched
_)*)*()*_)~:>@~>~@{}:>
mmm. splendid,
+)(_(*)@:>:>+_)(
but i was very, very drunk
beardedwonder

Re:

Postby Nelson on Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:30 pm

And the realy pathetic thing about it: that the Times, not the Daily Mail or some other junk tabloid by the Times, felt compelled to run an article on it.
Nelson

We Rock !!!

Postby The Fear on Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:43 pm

From 'a flat just down the road from The Raisin pub'.

We would just like to thank those involved for making this particular event such a success. None were more hard working than those mothers involved in preparing said forfeits and the children for being such good sports.

Cheers,

The Staff.

PS - No badgers were seriously injured during the proceedings.
The Fear

Re:

Postby sheltered life on Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:50 pm

I'm sorry. I didn't mean this to turn into a slagging match of your party. And I will admit, that I did very much enjoy it, though I see that some of the comments I posted came out rather more negatively than I had intended.(It's hard to convey tone in writing) I will also admit that I was not present for some of the reported incidents, I heard them from other people, and I do not personally know anybody who lived there. So I apologise for any bad feeling I created. The party was definately way more fun than any I've been to before.

I really just wondered if other parties were as wild as that one. I guess I only express concern about some of the drunken antics because I knew someone who died recently after to a seemingly small, drunken accident at a similarly merry party. And it just makes me a bit uneasy when I see people get so plastered, I worry similar accidents could happen again. I'm all for fun and drinking, but perhaps with slightly more caution. The last thing I want to do is spoil people's fun.

So as a last grovel to make up, your party ruled! and I have expressed such to many people.
sheltered life

Re:

Postby BasilSeal on Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:04 pm

i]
And the realy pathetic thing about it: that the Times, not the Daily Mail or some other junk tabloid by the Times, felt compelled to run an article on it.
[/i]

REALLY? I'd very much like a copy of that! Which day was it published on, and in which section?
BasilSeal

Re:

Postby hoopy froodette on Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:16 pm

Yesterday. Haven't seen the paper copy myself, but you can find it by searching on the times online website http://www.the-times.co.uk (I think). There aren't any pictures (unless something's up with my computer), just a brief article. Might have been a picture in the paper copy though. Anyone got it?

[hr]Can you imagine a world without hypothetical situations?
Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie.
hoopy froodette

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board