Home

TheSinner.net

Union Honorary Life Memberships

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Union Honorary Life Memberships

Postby Ben Spiers on Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:23 am

***HONORARY LIFE MEMBERSHIPS OF THE UNION***

It's that time of year again when we recognize individuals who have contributed to the university, town and community. We want you to nominate students in their final year of study who you think have really made a difference in their time at St Andrews. Whether they have formed a society, done volunteer work, helped in the community, campaigned on vital issues or just worked hard to help others, we want to hear about it.

The Students' Association is more than a building - it is the student community as a whole. The Honorary Life Membership is a small expression of the student body's appreciation for those who really contribute in their time here.

To nominate someone, just send an email to Ben Spiers, Director of Services, at doserv@st-and.ac.uk, including the name (and address and phone number if you know it) and a short paragraph about why this person should be awarded a Lifetime Membership. The closing date for nominations is April 30th.

[hr]www.yourunion.net
Ben Spiers

Re:

Postby Ben Spiers on Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:33 am

Bump
Ben Spiers

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:19 am

The closing date hasn't passed yet. There are still Loads of people who have done a great deal for St Andrews Students and it's a chance for them to receive something for the work they have done.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:34 am

Isn't it Students Association Honorary Life Memberships?

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:37 pm

Tricky one. The Association is between the Union and the SRC, and it is technically the Union of which one is a member and not the SRC. So arguably it's life membership of the Union, equally well many of the distinctions between the two are so blurred that it would be arguable either way. That said, whether Union or Asscociation, Students' would take an apostrophe!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

[hr]The world is full of stupid people. I say we get rid of all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:59 am

Nominations need to be in by tomorrow.

Also if anyone can think of people to nominate for Honorary President you could e mail sugestions to DoServ@st-and.ac.uk

This years Honorary President is Prof, Colin Vincent (former Master and Deputy Principal retired last year). If people have any ideas for next year come forward.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:13 pm

This years Honorary President is Prof, Colin Vincent (former Master and Deputy Principal retired last year). If people have any ideas for next year come forward.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten this one. Someone who advocated top-up fees in Scotland in a public speech. How much more deserving do they get?
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:25 pm

It would be quite wrong and inappropriate of the Students' Association to discriminate in that way on the basis of the political views of some officers or members. What IS undeniable is that Professor Vincent has given long and honourable service to the University (of which he is now, hilariously, a student - imagine being his tutor!) and it is entirely appropriate that he be honoured by the Students' Association. After all, Alex Salmond advocates independence for Scotland, with which I disagree passionately, but I have no problem with the fact that he was Honorary President of the Association.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:48 pm

Fine, but the Association has no policy on Scottish independence, and the implementation of such would hardly be contradictory to the raison d'etre of the body. In fact, I seem to remember Kev Head explaining that the honour was conferred in no small part because of Mr Salmond's persistence in fighting against tuition fees and for the student grant.
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:27 pm

Well we're open to suggestions. Any one can nominate someone.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:26 am

How about the Chancellor's Assessor, Emeritus Professor David Brynmor Thomas. An all round top bloke and a friend to the student cause on Court.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:38 am

Heartily endorse that idea.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Eliot Wilson

Return to The Sinner's Main Board