Home

TheSinner.net

What do you look for?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

What do you look for?

Postby Chain Mailer on Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:53 pm

I know this is a pretty obvious thread but its this or work so...
What are some of the main things you first look for in the opposite sex? (or the same sex if u are so inclined :) )
Please be as shallow/ truthful as you like you will not be judged.
I personnally like eyes, a good back, nicely muscled arms and certian kinds of hands.
So come on people, tell us what you like

(PS also want to add hair, got to be a good style! Also the guy has to be hygenically sound and have a nice accent, good sense of humour is always a must as well)

[hr]Whenever people agree with me I always think I'm wrong
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:11 pm

I tend to look at the face in general and hair, though I don't look for a particular style. I also look at height. I know that is terribly shallow, but for some reason, because I'm so tall (5ft 9in), it seems quite an issue for me to find a guy who is at least as tall as, if not taller than me. Trouble is, I have a habit of meeting nice guys who are about 2 feet shorter than me. I can't quite imagine much prospect there. Can't exactly picture the things I want like dancing with my head on his shoulder or anything.
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby benedict on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:22 pm

whatever i'm looking for (& without wishing to explicitly sound like Bono when sat in on a tuesday evening), i still haven't found it.
benedict

Re:

Postby Animal on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:23 pm

Want to tell us if you're male or female, Chain-Mailer?

I don't look for any particular feature, but I tend to notice girls' eyes more than anything else.
I've also found that the girls I find attractive tend to be around 5'4" or so (I'm about 6'). Hair colour - not an issue.

As for weight, I tend to prefer girls who are closer to the upper limit of the BMI, but that's only if I'm getting really picky.
Animal

Re:

Postby oddly familiar on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:35 pm

Dark hair (brown or black), dark or green eyes (big eyes is good too). Shortish - between 5'2 and 5'6 (I am 5"11 and seven eighths without shoes, so i call myself 6' with shoes).
Also a dark and smooth complexion is nice (btw i'm just listing off my perfect fantasy woman here). And pretty too, of course. Im not going to go into anything below the neck except to say: petite - small and perfectly formed is my ideal, rather than anything being large in any way.

So; small dark and pretty then. though personality is very important too of course and would be able to completely override any of this. If i met some tall, pretty blonde girl who was just fantastically fun then i guess all this would go out of the window. But, walking down the street, and the kind of people I become attracted to and try to get to know are normally as i have described above.

Right. Know anyone like that anyone?

[hr]When she walks,
Oh the wind blows and the angels sing,
But she doesnt notice me
saru mo ki kara ochiru
oddly familiar

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:37 pm

I'm one of those sad people who is more attracted to peoples' personality before anything else.

That said, I do like a good pair of eyebrows.

[hr]Come and see "Baby with the Bathwater" - http://baby.tz4.com
Bryn

Re:

Postby Chain Mailer on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:40 pm

[s]Animal wrote on 20:23, 20th Apr 2004:
Want to tell us if you're male or female, Chain-Mailer?

Would have thought that was slightly obvious by my preferred features ;) I'm a girl in answer to ur question :) Doubt many guys would look for nicely muscled arms (well not most guys anyway)

[hr]
Most definitly maybe
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:44 pm

[s]Chain Mailer wrote on 19:53, 20th Apr 2004:What are some of the main things you first look for in the opposite sex? (or the same sex if u are so inclined :) )
[s]Chain Mailer wrote on 20:40, 20th Apr 2004:Doubt many guys would look for nicely muscled arms (well not most guys anyway)

That's two comments now where you've made out that gay people are the odd ones out, or should be considered separately. Kindly stop it.

[hr]
Come and see "Baby with the Bathwater" - http://baby.tz4.com
Bryn

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:48 pm

What the fuck man? Take a chill pill as far as i can see she has included gay people. Ok it may be in brackets in parts but i hardly see how that can be interpreted as saying gay people are odd.

[hr]IMAGE:www.queensofthestoneage.com/images/logo_qotsa.gif
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby themanwiththehair on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:50 pm

Perfect women: Quite short/small-bout 5'2-5'3 (short myself 5'8), preferrably pale skinned with an hour glass figure-little curvaceous. Really like redhair......Accent a real turn on-quite posh or Irish-very nice:)as are piercing eyes (any colour really)

As far as personality goes, prefer the kind and gentle type, preferrably very girlish(?). The ability to make me laugh is good, as is the ability to hold a conversation beyond that of "Hey, my name is Barbie"*infinity.

Agree with "oddly familiar" though, other types do turn my head, these are merely......guidelines
themanwiththehair

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:52 pm

Sure, she included them, but separately. I didn't say she suggested they were odd, or indeed that she has anything against them. But I don't think complete equality will ever be acheived if people keep thinking that it's unusual to be attracted to the same sex. People should stop thinking in such categorical terms, especially regarding gender and sexuality. I mean what was so wrong with saying "What do you first look for in other people?" - that doesn't put gender into the equation at all.

Bryn

Re:

Postby benedict on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:58 pm

'That's two comments now where you've made out that gay people are the odd ones out, or should be considered separately. Kindly stop it.'

to be honest she has accomodated both (all 3 whatever) sets of sexualities. also if she is hetero, which seems to be the implication, then surely she is not putting one side in particular as the odd one out but merely referring to the other sexuality as the other one, seeing as that's what it would be from her perspective.

i can see your point, but would have no problem with the way she phrased it myself.

i guess if i looked for distinguishing features it would mainly be someone who's fun, willing to push boundaries but still with enough elements of general humanity like empathy & all that stuff.
benedict

Re:

Postby oddly familiar on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:58 pm

[s]Bryn wrote on 20:52, 20th Apr 2004: "What do you first look for in other people?" - that doesn't put gender into the equation at all.

I take your point but what you suggest would actually be a little confusing, as it suggests "what do you look for in a freind?" too.
Maybe a better one would be; "what do you look for in people that you fancy?"

[hr]
When she walks,
Oh the wind blows and the angels sing,
But she doesnt notice me
saru mo ki kara ochiru
oddly familiar

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:59 pm

[s]Bryn wrote on 20:37, 20th Apr 2004:
I'm one of those sad people who is more attracted to peoples' personality before anything else.

That said, I do like a good pair of eyebrows.

Ooh, a Busted fan then?
thePontificator

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:00 pm

[s]oddly familiar wrote on 20:58, 20th Apr 2004:
Maybe a better one would be; "what do you look for in people that you fancy?"

Sure, I just meant something that's more general and doesn't mean you have to specify gender or sexuality at all.

[hr]
Bryn

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:01 pm

[s]thePontificator wrote on 20:59, 20th Apr 2004:
Ooh, a Busted fan then?

Eeeew! No way!

[hr]
Bryn

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:02 pm

I tend to like people on a superficial "fancy" way based on looks and the way they speak. But those seldome go anywhere. On the other hand, those I develope more significant feelings for tend to be people I've known or been friends with for a long time and never really thought of in that way, until I gradually begin to realise I'm begining to like them more than that. Sometimes it never occurs to me until something happens like somebody asks me about them or I hear they like me, or I hear of somebody else who likes them or they tell me they like someone else, or even just a dream or something, and at 1st I think "No way, that's rediculous, he's a mate". Then I ponder about it and end up developing feelings which grow.

I had a mate at school, who was just a chum. Then my Mum asked why I never considered him cause he seemed nice. I competely nonsensed her suggestion at 1st as it had never even occured to me, but then I wondered about why, and after a short while began liking him in that way. My feelings grew more and more, until I was absolutely dying to go out with him. We became very close mates, but nothing ever went further as I was too shy to ask. We remained best mates when we went to uni and I still lusted for him when we got together in the holidays. Then one time when we were out having dinner, and I was gazing into his eyes wishing he'd ask me "out", he told me he was gay.

I cried in the bar's loos that night, and for days afterwards. However, after I got it out of my system, I accepted it, and we are still best friends. In fact, in a way, it's almost made us closer friends because there is no longer that sexual tension going on. We absolutely adore each other more now than ever. Which I think is a lovely outcome. (Although if he came to me and said that he was mistaken and actually wasn't gay after all, I'd marry him in a second!)
Happy-Go-Lucky

Postby ever_nocturnal on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:03 pm

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:08 pm

Do you know a thing that I really, really hate? This idea that people can only have equality if they pretend that everyone is the same and that differences fdon't exist. There was nothing wrong with the original post, some people are just hyper sensitive.

[hr]The world is full of stupid people. I say we get rid of all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:11 pm

[s]Bryn wrote on 20:44, 20th Apr 2004:
[s]Chain Mailer wrote on 19:53, 20th Apr 2004:[i]What are some of the main things you first look for in the opposite sex? (or the same sex if u are so inclined :) )

[s]Chain Mailer wrote on 20:40, 20th Apr 2004:Doubt many guys would look for nicely muscled arms (well not most guys anyway)

That's two comments now where you've made out that gay people are the odd ones out, or should be considered separately. Kindly stop it.

[hr]
[/i]

Oh For Gods sake give it a rest will you? Stop being so bloody anal!!! Its a fun thread, don't ruin it.

In answer to your question Chain Mailer, I would have to say

1)Nice teeth
2)in between body (not too skinny etc)
3)Personality must be up to scratch
4)Quite like blondish/dirty blond hair, but quite partial to a bit of ginger sometimes(see scouse bird from Girls Aloud to see wheere I'm coming from)

That is all
Manic23

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board