Home

TheSinner.net

Brazil...anyone?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Brazil...anyone?

Postby Pinky but Perky on Tue May 18, 2004 6:22 pm

i really want to go to Brazil sometime soon...has anyone been there? if so can you give some info about it please?

Cheers!

[hr]the knack is finding a grape that actually looks edible....damn you Tesco!
the knack is finding a grape that actually looks edible....damn you Tesco!
Pinky but Perky

Re:

Postby Pinky but Perky on Tue May 18, 2004 6:27 pm

also, if anyone knows of a website that does cheap air tickets that would be cool...not expedia.co.uk, they're a rip off

[hr]
Pinky but Perky

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue May 18, 2004 6:39 pm

How about Hy-Brazil?

[hr]"And all the people rejoiced, and said: 'God save the King! Long live the King! ...May the King live forever!'" - Handel, 'Zadok the Priest'
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue May 18, 2004 7:58 pm

Where in Brazil? You're talking about one of the largest countries on earth, with a climate ranging from desert to rain forest by way of snow-capped mountains and which has one of the most varied and diverse cultures of any country of any size. So, what are you looking for? And Brazil almost certainly has it, but it certainly won't be possible to see it all in one go.

[hr]The world is full of stupid people. I say we get rid of all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Pinky but Perky on Tue May 18, 2004 8:31 pm

i want to go to Rio first..i wanna really soak up the latin culture up...it looks like a fun place to visit and only recently have i become infatuated with it...have you been there? whats it like?

[hr]
Pinky but Perky

Re:

Postby can i walk with you on Tue May 18, 2004 11:45 pm

Ahhh, Brasil...I was born there. Needless to say, I love it to bits. Amazingly, I've never been to Rio.

It really depends on what you're looking for, but I think every bit of that country is worth visiting. Brasilia, my city, is very pretty and worth a look. Cosmopolitan life, try Sao Paulo. For a different feel, go to the south, Curitiba, Florianopolis, Camboriu - loads of German and Italian descendants there. The best beaches, in my opinion, are in the north: my favorites are in Maceio, in the state of Alagoas (Praia do Frances is gorgeous). Salvador, in the state of Bahia, also has some great ones and more of a big city feel.

If you're planning on going during the famous 'carnaval', I'd say ditch Rio and go to the north, where the party is on the streets, and for the people. Olinda, in Recife, is particularly known for its street carnaval. The competition of the samba schools in Rio is great, but if u really want to get into the atmosphere, u should be out there shaking ur bum to the beats.

Enjoy!
can i walk with you

Re:

Postby Pinky but Perky on Tue May 18, 2004 11:56 pm

thank you very much..i really want to get into the real latin buzz...the thought of the carnivals and such do get me quite anxious to go...i have a brazilian jazz CD which is on non-stop and Sergio Mendes is a tip-top fave for bopping about, especially when i can revise properly...lol

cheers!

[hr]
Pinky but Perky

Re:

Postby Mutley on Wed May 19, 2004 7:03 am

I spent a bit of time in Manuas in the Amazonas region, (i have a brother that lives there), the city aint up to much, but spend some time in the interior of the rainforest and the villages along the many many many rivers and see rustic, real brazil, its a tough place though and i have no idea how acessible it is for tourists as i was with locals. I also spent quite a bit of time in Rio, it really didnt impress me much. Depends what you want i suppose, it just like most cities, but bigger and aside from the tourist areas not that attractive, as far as a holiday is concerned i dont think rio is much of one, it just not that interesting once you have done the beaches and babes thing, Sugar loaf and Christ the Redeemer and the normal tourist stuff. In short i love Brazil but its more hard work than a holiday, a cultural experience of its own. My advice head to the Amazonas region, its beautiful, something differnet and an adventure. Oh and while your there bring me back some Guarana Antartica (was virtually addicted) im having withdrawls.

[hr]So how is life, love and the endless pursuit of happiness?
So how is life, love and the endless pursuit of happiness?
Mutley

Re:

Postby lapis lazuli on Wed May 19, 2004 7:24 am

[s]Pinky but Perky wrote on 19:27, 18th May 2004:
also, if anyone knows of a website that does cheap air tickets that would be cool...not expedia.co.uk, they're a rip off

I'm booking a flight to Rio de Janeiro and then on to Paraguay, and found the cheapest prices at www.journeylatinamerica.co.uk

At the moment they have a return flight to Rio with KLM for £477 if you go before 15 June.

[hr]
[i]yacketayakking screaming vomiting whispering facts and memories and anecdotes
[i:30c0hhg5]yacketayakking screaming vomiting whispering facts and memories and anecdotes[/i:30c0hhg5]
lapis lazuli

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Wed May 19, 2004 5:58 pm

Hey! I lived in Brazil for 4 years... in the apparently "boring" capital, Brasilia (I managed to find more than enough things to do there... i dont know what people are on about). Ok so it gets a little strange when you live in a city, yet still can't go out at the weekend without seeing someone you know - think St. Andrews, but more spread out). Anyway sorry im rambling. Brasilia is weird, ill give you that. There is some funny cult place just outside where there are people in trances and worshipping aliens and things called the "valley of the dawn" or something. But if you are into the whole carnival, latin culture, beachy, party Brazil, then Rio, Salvador, Natal, Fortaleza... places like that are probably your best bet. But Brazil really is beautiful and it would be a shame to go there and miss out on the "real" Brazil. There is literally so much to see there - I haven't been half of the places I would like.
My personal favourite places I visited were: Fernando de Noronha, The Pantanal, Santa Catarina, Maragogi (a little coastal town in the state of Alagoas), Chapada Diamantina (any of the Chapadas are worth going to),Pireonopolis, and Iguacu falls. Hmm maybe im too much of a biologist. About 4 hours drive from Brasilia there is also Caldas Novas (Rio Quente)which is a resorty place with hot springs. Personally I found Sao Paulo grey, cold, too big, threatening and just not a very nice place. Rio...yes.. its a beautiful city, but everyone goes there. Its like going to the UK and just going to London, smiling for a cheesy shot in front of every tourist monument, having people chase you trying to sell you overpriced touristy gubbins and watching your wallet all the time.
As for the best way to get around, I think there is some air pass thing you can buy and you get to use it on any flights within Brazil for a couple of weeks (21 days rings a bell...). I can try and find out about that for you, but I know a lot of people on a gap year in brazil who found that was the cheapest way to see the country. Also, there are great buses between the major cities (better than anything they have here, honestly. They call Brazil a developing country, but they can do a whole lot of things better than here! Not hard, I suppose...). Well, ok i think im probably taking up way too much board space here so if you want to know anything more you can email me at jkw and ill try and help you out. I also have contacts still in Brazil so I can get you contact numbers of English speaking travel agents etc if you want. Hope you decide to go!
Jenny
Lyeta

Re:

oh yes and I agree with Mutley - some Guarana really wouldnt go amiss!
Lyeta

Re:

Hey um.. "can I walk with you" where abouts in Brasilia did you live? When were you last there? Voce fala portugues? I need someone to practice my portuguese with... I don't want to lose it. So if anyone reading this lived in Brazil or is Brasilia or just speaks Brazilian portuguese and wouldn't mind chatting to me occasionally, let me know?
Lyeta

Re:

Postby can i walk with you on Wed May 19, 2004 7:58 pm

Lyeta, claro que eu falo portugues!! :o]
I lived in Asa Sul for a while, then moved to Asa Norte. I was last there in August/03 (and hope to be going again this August). E-mail me at yrm if you like.

And to anyone visiting Brazil, no matter where you go, what you do or what you see...GUARANA ANTARTICA is a MUST!
can i walk with you

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed May 19, 2004 11:21 pm

I have the film "Brazil" - written by Terry Gilliam. Next best thing.

[hr][s]What a beautiful world this will be .... what a glorious time to be free[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Pinky but Perky on Thu May 20, 2004 12:30 am

hey guys!

thank you so much for all the info...i don't know what it is but i've been drawn recently to Brazil...before it was Italy (which i will still get to....eventually) i really appreciate your feedback!

[hr]
Pinky but Perky

Re:

Postby Eliza on Thu May 20, 2004 5:33 am

And to anyone visiting Brazil, no matter where you go, what you do or what you see...GUARANA ANTARTICA is a MUST!

Seriously. I would sell my soul for a litre of Guarana Antarctica right now. And none of that Kuat crap -- if you're gonna have guarana, it had better be Antarctica.

Give me that and a pao de queijo and I'd be set. At least until I finished eating.

Nossa, que saudade...
Eliza

Re:

Postby can i walk with you on Thu May 20, 2004 1:40 pm

Aiiiii...pao de queijo! What about pastel? Yum...
can i walk with you

Re:

Postby Eliza on Fri May 21, 2004 5:10 am

God, pastel. Just out of the frier... gah. Especially the kind with doce de leite inside. I need to stop remembering because now I'm going to want what I can't have.

Whoever started this thread REALLY needs to go to Brazil. And they also really need to take me with them.
Eliza

Re:

Postby can i walk with you on Fri May 21, 2004 3:50 pm

God...doce de leite! Just reminded me of cocada...

I found a recipe for pastel online once when I had a mad craving for it at 4 am, but never got around to making it...
can i walk with you

Return to The Sinner's Main Board